Gophers-Colorado St scrimmage

Looks like I can skip another year of watching our hoops team. We kind of suck at everything lately. Hopefully the dance team comes through.

Well the last two years the Gophers finished last in the conference. Getting crushed in a scrimmage isn’t a good thing.
We don’t know who played. How can we take anything away from the game? BJ has used these games every year to give Freshmen big minutes.

Ok whatever. We’re going to get blown out every game and shouldn’t even bother playing.
I have been very optimistic this off season but wow... unless there are some unusual circumstances here this is not a good sign. They didn't just lose the scrimmage- they got trashed. But the worst of it is that they gave up 87 points. If this team doesn't play good to great defense it just is going to be another long year.

The only positive here is that it is a reality check early enough to improve on.

Not a good look, allowing 87 points is miserable no matter who played.

We don’t know who played. How can we take anything away from the game? BJ has used these games every year to give Freshmen big minutes.
No, his first year it would have been literally impossible to do that. Last year, maybe, but he still had to get Cooper and Garcia minutes also. Your theory isn’t holding water. Also, how on earth would you know who or who he isn’t giving minutes to in such a setup?

That inspiring performance should really boost ticket sales. Is it really possible that this program will get even worse before it gets better?

on the one hand, this is not encouraging.

on the other hand - I have said I think the Gophers have a deeper and more athletic roster - BUT there are a lot of new pieces on this team and it might take some time for them to learn how to play as a unit - especially with a revamped guard corps and two guys coming back after missing 2 years with injuries.

maybe- just maybe - this puts the non-conference schedule in a different light. maybe the coaches knew/thought that it would take some time to figure out rotations and get the team to gel.

or maybe everyone sucks and they're not going to win a game this season.

believe what you want to believe.

on the other hand - I have said I think the Gophers have a deeper and more athletic roster - BUT there are a lot of new pieces on this team and it might take some time for them to learn how to play as a unit - especially with a revamped guard corps and two guys coming back after missing 2 years with injuries.

maybe- just maybe - this puts the non-conference schedule in a different light. maybe the coaches knew/thought that it would take some time to figure out rotations and get the team to gel.

I don’t think there is any debate on the non-con schedule. CBJ knows he is coaching for his spot next year and needs some gimmies to boost his win total this year. I don’t blame him, it makes total sense. I really don’t think it’s any more complicated than that.

I can accept this from an offensive perspective that it will take time to jell and even defensively to a certain extent but not 89 points worth. Something is terribly wrong to have a team like CSU go out and score that many points their first time out against you. Really makes you question the talent, coaching, and most importantly the competitiveness of the team.

Getting beat by 38 points by Colorado St seems like it should be impossible?
Like we got some faulty information. But, 6 Rams in double figures seems to suggest we offered little resistance. And one guy didn't go off and drain 9 3's or something crazy if their leading scorer had 15.

Kinda hard to get buy in or to spin any positives to the players. It was in Minneapolis as well, I do believe.

Anxious to see us play.

Last edited:

Holy $h!T There is absolutely no way to spin this. Colorado State was picked 5th in the MWC media poll by the way. It would have been tough to spin a loss to CSU, even a scrimmage loss, but 87-49? How does that even happen?

Getting beat by 38 points by Colorado St seems like it should be impossible?
Like we got some faulty information. But, 6 Rams in double figures seems to suggest we offered little resistance. And one guy didn't go off and drain 9 3's or something crazy if their leading scorer had 15.

Kinda hard to get buy in or to spin any positives to the players. It was in Minneapolis as well, I do believe.

Anxious to see us play.
No, this year it was out there.

Hypothetically even if the Gophers only played some combination of their 8 least experienced and/or scholarship returning-from-injury players:

Betts
Christie
Fox
Ihnen
Keinys
Purcell
Ramberg
Reader

I would tend to find this score alarming.

Last edited:

Top Bottom