Gophers AD Mark Coyle looking for ‘next step’ from Richard Pitino’s basketball team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Gophers Athletics Director Mark Coyle’s last face-to-face meeting before social distancing was with Richard Pitino on March 13. That’s when Coyle retained Pitino as men’s basketball coach and shared an urgency for that team.

Pitino heard “we clearly feel it’s time to take the next step,” Coyle recalled Tuesday on the Golden Gopher Podcast.

“We will continue to work with him to get him to the next level, to win those close games and take the next step in the Big Ten to compete for championships and build this the right way,” Coyle said. “I have every hope and confidence he will do that for us.”

Coyle said he has a “very close” relationship with Pitino; their communication isn’t so much about basketball but rather their families, other aspects of life and current events.

“I have a great deal of respect for him and I have great confidence in Richard,” Coyle said on the podcast. “He is our basketball coach, and I believe in Richard.”

Go Gophers!!

Perfectly said.

I wouldn't have been against a decision to relieve Pitino of his duties after this season given the trajectory (as I see it) of the program. But I will submit to the notion that he has been snakebitten on a few instances enough to be fine with one more season - plus I don't know if there's a great market for coaches worth going out and hiring, plus a new coach would be stepping into a mess with the current recruiting landscape.

Make no mistake, the team is not set up to be very good next year. So Pitino is not in a favorable position to save his job like he might've been in 2016 (assuming his job was as in jeopardy at all). But after seven years, if the program isn't in better shape and not trending upwards, he'll have proven himself.

I would definitely say continue to keep an eye on coaches around the country this year. Hoping to see further(continued) success from Medved and Craig Smith. I would think those are 2 of the top candidates at this point. Looking forward to hearing other names surface.

Why Medved? I get the hype on Craig Smith given his track record not only as a big time winning coach at the NAIA level but solid runs with South Dakota and two very good years at Utah State, but what's Medved done? Colorado State is okay and he was good at Furman...is that top-two candidate good?

Minnesota can win at basketball but let's be honest Gopher fans, you're not the prettiest girl at the dance. Prince Charming has proven very hard to find, but every five years we try again. Could get lucky. Probably not.

Minnesota can win at basketball but let's be honest Gopher fans, you're not the prettiest girl at the dance. Prince Charming has proven very hard to find, but every five years we try again. Could get lucky. Probably not.
Said the same thing about football for a long while there....

Why Medved? I get the hype on Craig Smith given his track record not only as a big time winning coach at the NAIA level but solid runs with South Dakota and two very good years at Utah State, but what's Medved done? Colorado State is okay and he was good at Furman...is that top-two candidate good?
Furman was an awful program that won the conference in his 4th year. Finished 3rd in conference in his 1 year at Drake ('17-'18) which was their highest finish since 2007-08. They were 7-24 the year before he took over. Had 'em at .500 in that 1 year. 20 wins in year 2 at Colorado St. and looks like more of his transfers coming in. Those 20 wins coming with mainly young guys he had brought in to Colorado St.

Something just feels like the best is yet to come from Medved. He just seems like he has an ability to turn a program into his own quickly with his own guys. High level success not there but I believe it's coming for him. Also I do love the Thorson Minnesota High School Basketball connection.

You could probably say a lot of the same about Craig Smith. Turned South Dakota into a legit contender in that conference in his 3rd and 4th year there. The only question mark I see with him is that I still think he's been riding players at Utah St. that were already there when he arrived, besides Queta and he is very good. I'm not saying he can't do it with his own guys, I actually believe he can, but I'd like to see him have success this coming year w/o Merrill. Also a Minnesota guy that I hear is pretty charismatic to hopefully relate well to the high school basketball scene.

Overall I think another year w/ Pitino actually is beneficial in terms of being able to watch Medved and Smith progression. In terms of wins, not so much.

I'd be good with either Smith or Medved being the hire. I'm not saying they're the top 2 candidates and the hire may end up being somebody else, but I like these guys to be strongly considered. I know there were rumblings of potential Craig Smith talks over the past month or what meetings were going to potentially take place minus corona. Who knows what's true but it is something.

*Chris Jans and Steve Forbes are both names of guys that I think no doubt can coach. Each with multiple NCAA tournament berths. Each has past violation history but nothing you can't move on from unless Coyle just wants no part of that due to our past, which is understandable.

There's my top 4 at this point barring we get some high-level guy we never thought would leave his school to come to MN. We'll see about others over time.

Last edited:

This is such an incredibly stupid post and one you've made many, many times before. To use your analogy, the much uglier girls at the dance (Iowa and Penn State) have done better than us at finding dates the past 5 years and our twin (Wisconsin) just won (a share of) prom queen.

For everyone's sanity, please post better.

Furman was an awful program that won the conference in his 4th year. Finished 3rd in conference in his 1 year at Drake ('17-'18) which was their highest finish since 2007-08. They were 7-24 the year before he took over. Had 'em at .500 in that 1 year. 20 wins in year 2 at Colorado St. and looks like more of his transfers coming in. Those 20 wins coming with mainly young guys he had brought in to Colorado St.

Something just feels like the best is yet to come from Medved. He just seems like he has an ability to turn a program into his own quickly with his own guys. High level success not there but I believe it's coming for him. Also I do love the Thorson Minnesota High School Basketball connection.

You could probably say a lot of the same about Craig Smith. Turned South Dakota into a legit contender in that conference in his 3rd and 4th year there. The only question mark I see with him is that I still think he's been riding players at Utah St. that were already there when he arrived, besides Queta and he is very good. I'm not saying he can't do it with his own guys, I actually believe he can, but I'd like to see him have success this coming year w/o Merrill. Also a Minnesota guy that I hear is pretty charismatic to hopefully relate well to the high school basketball scene.

Overall I think another year w/ Pitino actually is beneficial in terms of being able to watch Medved and Smith progression. In terms of wins, not so much.

I'd be good with either Smith or Medved being the hire. I'm not saying they're the top 2 candidates and the hire may end up being somebody else, but I like these guys to be strongly considered. I know there were rumblings of potential Craig Smith talks over the past month or what meetings were going to potentially take place minus corona. Who knows what's true but it is something.

*Chris Jans and Steve Forbes are both names of guys that I think no doubt can coach. Each with multiple NCAA tournament berths. Each has past violation history but nothing you can't move on from unless Coyle just wants no part of that due to our past, which is understandable.

There's my top 4 at this point barring we get some high-level guy we never thought would leave his school to come to MN. We'll see about others over time.
Chris Jans is the best coach they could hire.

Whether Coyle wants to take on that baggage is a legit question. I doubt he would.

But just in terms of "best coach," give me Jans.

Overall I think another year w/ Pitino actually is beneficial in terms of being able to watch Medved and Smith progression.
Or TJ at UNLV.

Basically, the Mountain West next season is our proving ground for our next coach.

Or TJ at UNLV.

Basically, the Mountain West next season is our proving ground for our next coach.
True. Decent chance this season becomes a MWC watch for me. Always a chance for our Gophs when the you start a new year, but it's not pretty right now. I'll be keeping an eye on Forbes and Jans too.

Chris Jans is the best coach they could hire.

Whether Coyle wants to take on that baggage is a legit question. I doubt he would.

But just in terms of "best coach," give me Jans.

I'd argue that pretty strongly that Forbes is easily better and that Smith is too. They have won big in tougher conferences and both are highly thought of as teachers.

Coincidentally, Forbes and Jans did grow up about an hour an half away from one another in Iowa though.

I'd argue that pretty strongly that Forbes is easily better and that Smith is too. They have won big in tougher conferences and both are highly thought of as teachers.

Coincidentally, Forbes and Jans did grow up about an hour an half away from one another in Iowa though.
Quite possibly true, I just have a man crush on Jans as a coach.

This is such an incredibly stupid post and one you've made many, many times before. To use your analogy, the much uglier girls at the dance (Iowa and Penn State) have done better than us at finding dates the past 5 years and our twin (Wisconsin) just won (a share of) prom queen.

Those less attractive girls who get invited to the dance have other assets with which they are adept at employing for the benefit of their respective programs. Good looks will only get you so far.

I hate, HATE Wisconsin but they are not our twin in any way. One example of many: Wisconsin is as close to Chicago as is the University of Illinois. Indeed, Wisconsin is closer to everything and everyone than is the University of Minnesota except those living in MN.

I hate, HATE Wisconsin but they are not our twin in any way. One example of many: Wisconsin is as close to Chicago as is the University of Illinois. Indeed, Wisconsin is closer to everything and everyone than is the University of Minnesota except those living in MN.
And yet they seem rather adapt at getting Twin Cities suburban kids to go to Madison.

And yet they seem rather adapt at getting Twin Cities suburban kids to go to Madison.

I've stated this numerous times, but the urban university isn't always a draw for suburban white kids. It's a big reason why we need to get over losing kids from the metro.

I've stated this numerous times, but the urban university isn't always a draw for suburban white kids. It's a big reason why we need to get over losing kids from the metro.
Agreed. I think there is, preposterously, still a lot of suburban kids who grow up in fear of the urban core. Like it's a gang infested place where drive-bys happen every hour on nearly every corner.

Thinking about the Gophers program reminded me of a band director I had in HS.

One of his pet phrases was "you're just treading water." Meaning that a student wasn't showing improvement.

That is how I feel about Gopher hoops. the program is treading water. it's not drowning, but it's not moving forward- just staying in the same place and trying to keep its head above water.

I like Pitino as a person. Seems like a good guy. but you don't hire or fire coaches based on whether they are a good guy or tell fun stories. You hire or fire coaches based on their ability to recruit good players, coach those players and win games.

so, as I see it, the Gophers can tread water with Pitino, or try something different in hopes of generating some forward momentum.

Yeah it would be nice if martice mitchell is a start in chicago area. Chicago back in the day was a pipeline to illinois, but lately nobody really has a stranglehold in chicago. Illinois has had success with Morgan park high school recently, but really nothing else. Northwestern and depaul get a guy here and there, but for the most part its wide open.

Agreed. I think there is, preposterously, still a lot of suburban kids who grow up in fear of the urban core. Like it's a gang infested place where drive-bys happen every hour on nearly every corner.

Is the average street corner near the U as safe as the average street corner in Eagan? No. Is it as safe as the average street corner near UW? I don't know.

Is the average street corner near the U as safe as the average street corner in Eagan? No. Is it as safe as the average street corner near UW? I don't know.
Probably not in Eagan. But would be curious to look at robbery/aggravated robbery among the Big Ten campuses. That's mainly what I hear about, theives come after people's wallets/phones and threaten violence if they don't cooperate.

Yeah it would be nice if martice mitchell is a start in chicago area. Chicago back in the day was a pipeline to illinois, but lately nobody really has a stranglehold in chicago. Illinois has had success with Morgan park high school recently, but really nothing else. Northwestern and depaul get a guy here and there, but for the most part its wide open.

Chicago is a cesspool recruiting wise that I don't know if we want a ton of involvement in lol

The "urban university" has little to do with it.

It's the moribund basketball program, led by a coach with poor success and few connections to local coaches. Zero buzz, little hope, always underachieving.

It's the moribund basketball program, led by a coach with poor success and few connections to local coaches. Zero buzz, little hope, always underachieving.

Interest in Gopher basketball or football will NEVER, EVER, EVER reach the levels seen in Madison, Bloomington, Lexington, Lawrence, etc where kids are imprinted on their local college sports teams basically from birth. There simply is not that level of interest/support for Gopher athletics in the MSP metro area or outstate. Not saying why; its just reality.

It actually has a lot more to do with it than you think. Have you heard local recruits say it? I have. Now that being said of course our lack of success and development hurts more, but it's a bigger issue than it's given credit for.

Top Bottom