Gopher Potential Portal Pursuits

Prefer Hatton. Looks like he really started to find himself the last third of the season.
To be honest, I don't know that much about either guy. I just feel like our need is going to be defense in the post. There are going to be guys that Mitchell doesn't match up with well because he is 6-8. On offense I am fine with the combo of Garcia and Mitchell- feed Garcia and let Mitchell clean up with the put backs. Maybe Hatton will be fine on defense as well- not sure.

He played with Bellarmine last year. I had never heard of the school. I prefer Edmunds but we get who we get.
I think Bellarmine is new to D1. If I remember correctly, they won the Atlantic Sun conference tourney in 2023 but couldn't go dancing due to the transition rules.

I think Bellarmine is new to D1. If I remember correctly, they won the Atlantic Sun conference tourney in 2023 but couldn't go dancing due to the transition rules.
Bellarmine is the St. Thomas of Louisville. Played well in D1 out of the gate with experienced players, but have fallen back to the middle of the pack since then.

To be honest, I don't know that much about either guy. I just feel like our need is going to be defense in the post. There are going to be guys that Mitchell doesn't match up with well because he is 6-8. On offense I am fine with the combo of Garcia and Mitchell- feed Garcia and let Mitchell clean up with the put backs. Maybe Hatton will be fine on defense as well- not sure.
Yeah, who knows? I was looking at offense and saw very little of him on defense. I understand. One or the other.

indeed, one big budget with a minimum number of sports programs and title IX compliance need to be balanced. But investing more in non revenue sports doesn't increase revenues and margins whereas investing more in mens basketball might actually increase revenues and margins

for example, indiana invests almost twice in bball vs the gophers and have a $10million margin
Such a simple solution, unfortunately it will never happen, for some reason the non revenue sports are valued.

Bellarmine is the St. Thomas of Louisville. Played well in D1 out of the gate with experienced players, but have fallen back to the middle of the pack since then.
The thing that worries me about this comparison is that unlike Bellarmine outspending Louisville, I can envision St. Thomas alums spending similarly to the U.

Can I do the fun fact? The lead guard for Bellarmine is 6’3” Ben Johnson and he attended a Catholic high school. (Not in the portal.)

The thing that worries me about this comparison is that unlike Bellarmine outspending Louisville, I can envision St. Thomas alums spending similarly to the U.
I’m not so sure. St. Thomas wealth is more mythical than factual. And a lot of the wealth isn’t particularly generous.

I’m not so sure. St. Thomas wealth is more mythical than factual. And a lot of the wealth isn’t particularly generous.
My comment wasn't really based on St. Thomas' wealth, it was more based on Louisville wealth compared to U of MN wealth (athletics).

It also seems like UST does seem to get things done financially when they want to get things done.

Respectfully (of course), HM, St. Thomas has not fallen back. UST has improved each of its 3 seasons in D1. Overall record, conference record, Summit League Tournament seed, and NET ranking got better each season.

Next season with the guys they lost it’ll be a challenge to continue that trend, but they’ve got a shot. League appears wide open with SDSU’s personnel losses.

Respectfully (of course), HM, St. Thomas has not fallen back. UST has improved each of its 3 seasons in D1. Overall record, conference record, Summit League Tournament seed, and NET ranking got better each season.

Next season with the guys they lost it’ll be a challenge to continue that trend, but they’ve got a shot. League appears wide open with SDSU’s personnel losses.
Bellarmine has fallen back after winning ASun before they were tournament eligible.

Super skinny....probably limited offensively, but might give you 5-6 minutes off the bench in the paint.
HOLY SHIT....my apologies. I see a post on this like on Twitter and I automatically assume he's in the portal. Sign of the times i guess. My bad. :banghead:

HOLY SHIT....my apologies. I see a post on this like on Twitter and I automatically assume he's in the portal. Sign of the times i guess. My bad. :banghead:

This guy led his league in blocks per game (2.3) despite averaging only 13.7 minutes per game.

Three more if I am not mistaken, a big, a small forward, and best player available. I guess you could give at least one to a walk on.

Three more if I am not mistaken, a big, a small forward, and best player available. I guess you could give at least one to a walk on.

There are 10 players in place for next season so I would say two more at most and maybe only one. In this environment of pay-for-play I don't know why a team that isn't flush with cash would want to spend for 13 players when they can spend more per player if they have only 11 or 12.

Kind of surprised as well. Get it done!
Right now I like who Ben has drawn in as replacement to the players that left if they get 1 more big and Patterson they are in good shape and may lack last years quickness but have more depth and better overall shooters and ft %! They will be just fine and a bubble NCAA team if they do well in non conference against a tougher non conference schedule than last year!

Is this the guy who shoots 47% from the free throw line? I think we absorb one rotation guy like that (Mitchell, Frank), but tough to have two where a foul is basically no risk.

That and we have to remember that Fox isn't the greatest free throw shooter either. We may have to go with a one forward and four guard lineup late in the halves.

That and we have to remember that Fox isn't the greatest free throw shooter either. We may have to go with a one forward and four guard lineup late in the halves.
All we need is one guy to start throwing punches when the opposing team commits intentional fouls.
That will discourage that kind of behavior!

Is this the guy who shoots 47% from the free throw line? I think we absorb one rotation guy like that (Mitchell, Frank), but tough to have two where a foul is basically no risk.
Fox, Mitchell, Odoluke (sp), and Edmunds are all 50% or lower...

Top Bottom