Gopher Potential Portal Pursuits

That's why I think this spending isn't sustainable. A few years of collectives/boosters/fans blowing money and seeing little ROI will reset market values for players. Throw in a recession, and it corrects even faster.

If I were a FedEx shareholder, I would be furious that they are funneling money into Memphis basketball, NIL. How does that make any business sense? How does it help their bottom line?

The elite players will still get paid. However, musical chairs between power conferences for $500k+ 1-year contracts for slightly better-than-average players will no longer exist.

That's my bold projection.

Corporations are already throwing far more money at things that have nothing to do with the bottom line like BLM, National Parks, etc. etc.

Just think about how much money is blown on players when teams end up not making tourney or guy getting $500k to average 3.2 points.
Players in college have been under the microscope for awhile but have been somewhat protected by the status of "student athlete", now that they are borderline pros, I am curious to see how some will handle what will surely be increased scrutiny now that they are openly being paid.

Players in college have been under the microscope for awhile but have been somewhat protected by the status of "student athlete", now that they are borderline pros, I am curious to see how some will handle what will surely be increased scrutiny now that they are openly being paid.
It’s no longer borderline. They are getting paid to play. They are pros and deserve the heat that comes with that. Ask Battle what it’s like to be treated like a professional.

I’ve been on the side of lay off of them because they are kids first. Those days are gone.

It’s no longer borderline. They are getting paid to play. They are pros and deserve the heat that comes with that. Ask Battle what it’s like to be treated like a professional.

I’ve been on the side of lay off of them because they are kids first. Those days are gone.
We are waaayyyyy past "they are just kids". It is open season on their performance and a number of them will lack the ability to deal with the increased scrutiny. They prayed for rain, now they are going to have to deal with the mud that comes with it.

The fact is that they didn’t have the money for Mussleman.
1. Bullshit
2. How would anyone know, anyway? They couldn't be bothered to even call him.
3. Bullshit.

1. Bullshit
2. How would anyone know, anyway? They couldn't be bothered to even call him.
3. Bullshit.
gophers make about $8.5million (revenues less costs) on bball. there's a wee bit of money available there

gophers make about $8.5million (revenues less costs) on bball. there's a wee bit of money available there

Can't forget about baseball, tennis, golf, track, cross country, etc. they all cost money.

Can't forget about baseball, tennis, golf, track, cross country, etc. they all cost money.
indeed, one big budget with a minimum number of sports programs and title IX compliance need to be balanced. But investing more in non revenue sports doesn't increase revenues and margins whereas investing more in mens basketball might actually increase revenues and margins

for example, indiana invests almost twice in bball vs the gophers and have a $10million margin

Don’t we have an in with William and Mary?
He played with Bellarmine last year. I had never heard of the school. I prefer Edmunds but we get who we get.

He played with Bellarmine last year. I had never heard of the school. I prefer Edmunds but we get who we get.
Hatton can stretch the floor a bit. So he has position flexibility. He can play for Mitchell or Garcia if they need a break. I like him a bit more than Edmonds who is a bit more traditional.. and my 5 year old shoots better from the line than him lol

Prefer Hatton. Looks like he really started to find himself the last third of the season.

Top Bottom