Gopher Potential Portal Pursuits

But we aren't late yet.....we are still at the early end.....I get that a lot of you are looking for/expecting bad things to happen but we are not at the point where there should be major concern over a lack of signings.
My apologies if my unwillingness to always look for the negative angle bothers you. Some of us aren't wired to live in a world of doom and gloom all the time.

The GH Hoops Intelligentsia has been busy sharpening their pitchforks and are ready to skewer the evil CBJ; they’re impossible to unlather at this juncture.

The GH Hoops Intelligentsia has been busy sharpening their pitchforks and are ready to skewer the evil CBJ; they’re impossible to unlather at this juncture.
I'm distancing myself from the Intelligentsia, but holding on to my well deserved membership card.

No NIL money for them. He needs it to keep his core guys here. Needs a starting Center and a big wing. Maybe has $150000 for them in total.

The days of having 12 guys who can all play is over. The Gophers only have a certain chunk of money. I am guessing that is maybe at best 1.5 million. Pure speculation, but I would guess
Garcia 450k
Hawkins 250k
Mitchell 150k
Christie 350k
Fox 125k
Betts 50k
Asuma 50k
Groves 20k

That would leave maybe 100k to 150k for a post player that will get a large chunk of playing time and be needed for post defending and rebounding and a backup wing that would essentially replace Carrington’s role.
Frank Mitchell would fill in well for the big man role. Most big men that would warrant a starting 5 role are way too expensive. We cannot afford 2 of them.

If they get Huffman or Gray and Mitchell for 150k, they have done a great job in the portal. They can’t give NIL money they do not have

Rotation
PG Hawkins Asuma
Wings Mitchell, Christie, portal guy, a little Betts or Asuma
Posts Garcia, Fox, F Mitchell, Betts

That is a 9 man rotation we can afford and can make the NCAA tournament. If Christie leaves for the draft, we can use his significant NIL on a great shooting and scoring wing.
Your post is pure speculation, which is fine and you admit it as well. But my curiosity is where these numbers come from. I see lots of values thrown around but is there any legitimacy to these numbers? Where are people getting this? Are any athletes coming out and talking about how much they are getting? I assume some of the egos would love to talk about their riches lol.

Your post is pure speculation, which is fine and you admit it as well. But my curiosity is where these numbers come from. I see lots of values thrown around but is there any legitimacy to these numbers? Where are people getting this? Are any athletes coming out and talking about how much they are getting? I assume some of the egos would love to talk about their riches lol.

It’s the Insta culture - everyone has sooo much cash and their cars are never rented or couture clothes are never returned with the price tag still on😉

We'll have a good team if Christie returns and we replace Payne.
Johnson is working under the assumption Christie does not return. He understands he needs a starting center, a backup post with multiple years, and a shooting wing. Big guard would be No. 4 objective.

Johnson's future as Gopher Head Coach rests solely on getting transfers of the quality that are all rotation players.

Johnson is working under the assumption Christie does not return. He understands he needs a starting center, a backup post with multiple years, and a shooting wing. Big guard would be No. 4 objective.

Johnson's future as Gopher Head Coach rests solely on getting transfers of the quality that are all rotation players.
I think Ben is going to hold a big cash position open for Christie, hoping he stays. If he goes- then we are looking at finding a transfer later in the portal season and opening up whatever is needed from the "Christie fund" for that replacement. In the meantime I assume he will go after kids that can help if Christie leaves but don't cost much money. If we don't have either Christie or another high end 3 that can hit shots- next year is toast and so is Ben.

I think Ben is going to hold a big cash position open for Christie, hoping he stays. If he goes- then we are looking at finding a transfer later in the portal season and opening up whatever is needed from the "Christie fund" for that replacement. In the meantime I assume he will go after kids that can help if Christie leaves but don't cost much money. If we don't have either Christie or another high end 3 that can hit shots- next year is toast and so is Ben.
Realistically, Christie will not be deciding anything until after May 1st. The odds of us pulling a big time recruit after May 1st are very low. If Christie leaves, Ben is screwed. He needs to get the best recruits he can in the next week or so, or it will be too late. So far it's going about as well as the rest of his tenure has.

Christie is waiting to decide. He has no reason to rush it. Ben can’t wait to find a shooter. He has to rush.

The odds of us pulling a big time recruit are very low. If Christie leaves, Ben is screwed.
That is the shorter version..... these things are likely true- not certain, but likely.

Educated guess based on bits of info. Just do it for fun but I think I am close

Realistically, Christie will not be deciding anything until after May 1st. The odds of us pulling a big time recruit after May 1st are very low. If Christie leaves, Ben is screwed. He needs to get the best recruits he can in the next week or so, or it will be too late. So far it's going about as well as the rest of his tenure has.
Realistically where does any mock draft even list Christie? I just went thru 8 of them and never saw his name. He'd be a free agent or a likely G league player or european player at best if he leaves! He needs to build strength and work on his defense every report says.
If he is using this to assess interest, where he stands and get feedback on what he needs to work on that sounds much more realistic.
He will be back next year getting decent NIL money. And he will i think be better because he sounds like he is doing this to better his NBA status in the future!

What did I miss about Carrington? did he say he wanted to come back to MN?

What did I miss about Carrington? did he say he wanted to come back to MN?
There were reports that he was meeting with Johnson about coming back. No clue how credible they are but that was at least floated out there. I think Ihnen was mentioned as potentially wanting to come back also.

True. But Minnesota needs LUCK to have a really good team.

Bad luck...like the 50/50 chance on Christie going the wrong way...is enough to derail us.

There were reports that he was meeting with Johnson about coming back. No clue how credible they are but that was at least floated out there. I think Ihnen was mentioned as potentially wanting to come back also.
This probably sounds harsh, but 0 interest in this at all. BC has now left the team multiple times and not really done much when he's played. If he were a random guy from Wake Forest or something we'd be all out in it. And II has shown nothing in 4 years. If we are at the point of begging these 2 back I don't like the outlook.

This probably sounds harsh, but 0 interest in this at all. BC has now left the team multiple times and not really done much when he's played. If he were a random guy from Wake Forest or something we'd be all out in it. And II has shown nothing in 4 years. If we are at the point of begging these 2 back I don't like the outlook.
From the way it was framed it sounded like they wanted back in as opposed to us trying to get them to come back.

The only way I would bring them back would be if I was sure I would not be able to land a better option from the portal to replace them. The fact that Carrington and Ihnen are still in the portal would seem to indicate we were not interested in bringing them back, at least not right now.

Memphis, Ole Miss, Louisville and others have reached out to Jackson State transfer 6' 5" G Ken Evans Jr, per source

Top Bottom