Gopher Potential Portal Pursuits

Dang. Doesn't sound good.
Could just be a playing time concern. Especially if Christie returns, minutes might be somewhat limited.

Can always be a difficult thing when it comes to the portal. A guy like him averaging 34 minutes a game may not want to go somewhere that he only gets 15-20 (I have no idea Vandy's situation, just speculating).

Could just be a playing time concern. Especially if Christie returns, minutes might be somewhat limited.

Can always be a difficult thing when it comes to the portal. A guy like him averaging 34 minutes a game may not want to go somewhere that he only gets 15-20 (I have no idea Vandy's situation, just speculating).
That’s my fear. Gophers end up with more Samuels and Danny O’s, Wilson’s that are just happy to be on a BIG team. He needs at least about 3 more “good” players. At least.

That’s my fear. Gophers end up with more Samuels and Danny O’s, Wilson’s that are just happy to be on a BIG team. He needs at least about 3 more “good” players. At least.
Gotta convince the guys they will be on a good team and can earn minutes. That’s portal recruiting.

That’s just PTSD. I’m willing to wait for it to play out before I cast judgement on this class.

It’s early and there’s TONS of quality players in the portal.

Gotta convince the guys they will be on a good team and can earn minutes. That’s portal recruiting.

A guy like Huffman should be able to earn good minutes here unless Johnson insists on playing the other guards 37 minutes per game, something I sincerely hope he doesn't do if he has options.

I think it should be easier to convince someone that this Gopher team (with the returning nucleus) has a better chance of being good next season than Vanderbilt, one of the worst P6 teams in the nation this past season. Of course, Vanderbilt does have its own advantages and maybe even more so to someone who attended Davidson as an undergrad. I had that hunch about Woodbury's Michael Jones (who also went to Davidson) when he got that Stanford offer and I was right.

Ideally you bring in a guy that's younger. Where he might get those 15-20 minutes now but could expand after next year.

A guy like Huffman should be able to earn good minutes here unless Johnson insists on playing the other guards 37 minutes per game, something I sincerely hope he doesn't do if he has options.

I think it should be easier to convince someone that this Gopher team (with the returning nucleus) has a better chance of being good next season than Vanderbilt, one of the worst P6 teams in the nation this past season. Of course, Vanderbilt does have its own advantages and maybe even more so to someone who attended Davidson as an undergrad. I had that hunch about Woodbury's Michael Jones (who also went to Davidson) when he got that Stanford offer and I was right.
Good minutes for you and I might not be the same thing as someone that played 34 minutes a game last year.

Good minutes for you and I might not be the same thing as someone that played 34 minutes a game last year.
Last year he wasn’t on the look out for a starting big, just a back up big. This year he needs to fill that hole. Imperative. C’mon Frank Mitchell and then grab a couple wings and a guard.

Yep. Totally fair to have concerns but way too early to panic.
Of the 10 impactful transfers we've had under Ben, 9 have signed by April 16th. Hawkins is the only exception. Even allowing for an extra week this year due to the NCAA's ending later, we should be seeing movement in the next few days or it's a bad sign.

Of the 10 impactful transfers we've had under Ben, 9 have signed by April 16th. Hawkins is the only exception. Even allowing for an extra week this year due to the NCAA's ending later, we should be seeing movement in the next few days or it's a bad sign.
I believe someone previously mentioned it, but giving it to the end of April is more than fair given the negotiations have also changed in regards to NIL. That being said, it’s a good point.

Ok......don't think there is anything magical about a particular date and would seem likely that we will see some movement over the next week or so.

I just don't see the point of looking for bad signs already when we are still pretty early in the whole portal process and the vast majority of players still have not committed to a new school.

Everything is skewing later this year though, especially with all of the late, major coaching changes. If we don't pick up any significant contributors over the next 7-10 days, then the Gophers are in trouble.

Everything is skewing later this year though, especially with all of the late, major coaching changes. If we don't pick up any significant contributors over the next 7-10 days, then the Gophers are in trouble.
Agreed. It's also the fact that we need 3-4 not 1.

Ok......don't think there is anything magical about a particular date and would seem likely that we will see some movement over the next week or so.

I just don't see the point of looking for bad signs already when we are still pretty early in the whole portal process and the vast majority of players still have not committed to a new school.
It's not magical, it's just the way it's gone to this point. The Peyton Willis/Dawson Garcia's sign early. The Charlie Daniels types sign late.

1713296846958.png

It's not magical, it's just the way it's gone to this point. The Peyton Willis/Dawson Garcia's sign early. The Charlie Daniels types sign late.
But we aren't late yet.....we are still at the early end.....I get that a lot of you are looking for/expecting bad things to happen but we are not at the point where there should be major concern over a lack of signings.

I wish we would have a commitment by now (at least one) but we're not the only conference school without one. Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan State, Oregon, and Purdue haven't had one. Most of those who have received a commitment have received only one.

I wish we would have a commitment by now (at least one) but we're not the only conference school without one. Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan State, Oregon, and Purdue haven't had one. Most of those who have received a commitment have received only one.
I fully agree. Would make everyone feel better to see some commitments and have a better sense of what the full roster is going to look like next year. But this process takes time and it simply isn't time to start assuming the worst yet.....If we are still sitting here with no commitments around the end of the month then it will be time to panic.

Not overly impressed. Seems like CBJ tries to find the unique needles in haystack and hope they turn up to prove people wrong. Disappointed in no discussions for like a Danny Wolf, Jevon Porter, Garrison type player. Seems like CBJ is planning on playing Garcia a lot at the 5 spot.
No NIL money for them. He needs it to keep his core guys here. Needs a starting Center and a big wing. Maybe has $150000 for them in total.

The days of having 12 guys who can all play is over. The Gophers only have a certain chunk of money. I am guessing that is maybe at best 1.5 million. Pure speculation, but I would guess
Garcia 450k
Hawkins 250k
Mitchell 150k
Christie 350k
Fox 125k
Betts 50k
Asuma 50k
Groves 20k

That would leave maybe 100k to 150k for a post player that will get a large chunk of playing time and be needed for post defending and rebounding and a backup wing that would essentially replace Carrington’s role.
Frank Mitchell would fill in well for the big man role. Most big men that would warrant a starting 5 role are way too expensive. We cannot afford 2 of them.

If they get Huffman or Gray and Mitchell for 150k, they have done a great job in the portal. They can’t give NIL money they do not have

Rotation
PG Hawkins Asuma
Wings Mitchell, Christie, portal guy, a little Betts or Asuma
Posts Garcia, Fox, F Mitchell, Betts

That is a 9 man rotation we can afford and can make the NCAA tournament. If Christie leaves for the draft, we can use his significant NIL on a great shooting and scoring wing.

Last edited:

Top Bottom