Game 9: Gophers Visit Kentucky (12-6-23)

Everybody playing well. I wish Nia would get out of the lane.

Showed AD Mark Coyle in the crowd. Nice to see his support, could have stayed home.

Amazing ball movement in the 2nd half. 4 or 5 pass sequences to an open shooter! Very lovely plays.
Defense made the difference in the 2nd half. Their interior passing in the 1st half hurt us. It was slowed in the 2nd half.

Impressive 3 point shooting

I hope I'm still excited after the Men's game. "fingers crossed"

some quick thoughts

- Mara IS GOOD at basketball
- Sophie held with Petty, go beat a few times but finished with 8/10/3
- GG has seemed to have found her shot.. and seems to be good for a steal or 2 a game
- Maggie hitting a 3 and scoring will help her confidence
- Nia didn't score but finished with 2 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 steals and block
- Mal did her thing.. 13/6/2 1 block
- Battle after coming out in the 1st seem to play much better.. started to attack.

our defense is fun to watch this season. fun to see switching and having HELP defense.

Tightening up the defense, especially in the paint, was impressive in the 2nd half. Something like only 4 allowed in the paint.

Coach P said in the second half they did what they are capable of.

taiwan.png

Strange, that's not a picture of a hammer coming down, which the Gophers did.

Gophers women use hot three-point shooting, fierce defense in second half to win at Kentucky

Mara Braun led the way with 25 points, making five of seven threes, as Minnesota won its only road game of the nonconference schedule.

After starting the season 7-1 at Williams Arena, the Gophers took their first road trip Wednesday, heading to one of the cathedrals of college basketball. They left Kentucky's Rupp Arena with a 76-57 victory, making the most of their only road game of the non-conference schedule.

The Gophers (8-1) used hot three-point shooting and fierce second-half defense to win their fifth consecutive game. They trailed 38-36 at halftime, then scored the first 11 points of the third quarter and pulled away in the fourth. Mara Braun led the way with a game-high 25 points on nine-of-15 shooting, including five of seven from three-point range.

Kentucky (5-5) struggled to break through a tightened Gophers defense in the second half. The Wildcats trailed by seven points going into the fourth quarter, but they did not make a field goal in the quarter until 3 minutes, 26 seconds remained in the game, falling behind by as many as 23 points.

The Gophers' sharp ball movement helped them shoot 46.7% overall and 59.1% from three-point range, with 22 assists on 28 field goals. Kentucky shot 26.1% in the second half and was outscored 40-19 over the final 20 minutes..

I'd like to give Sophie a HUGE shoutout she has been playing really well in her last 4 games.

a solid night for her once again 4-7 shooting.. 8/10/3.. tonight she was a +30 in 23 minutes.

in her last 4 games

8/10/3
12/8/1
11/9/4
17/3

in her last 4 games she has 8 ASSISTS to 1 TO

I'd like to give Sophie a HUGE shoutout she has been playing really well in her last 4 games.

a solid night for her once again 4-7 shooting.. 8/10/3.. tonight she was a +30 in 23 minutes.

in her last 4 games

8/10/3
12/8/1
11/9/4
17/3

in her last 4 games she has 8 ASSISTS to 1 TO
I think Sophie is all around doing a nice job of knowing when to go up with the ball and when to kick out. The Gophers did not have that last year. Coaching or player idk but that is a noticeable difference for me!

I think Sophie is all around doing a nice job of knowing when to go up with the ball and when to kick out. The Gophers did not have that last year. Coaching or player idk but that is a noticeable difference for me!
Sophie picks her spots it seems.. but doesn't seems to get rushed or hurried.. like the team it seems like she is improving every game! when rebounding now she isn't bringing it down as low as she did in the first few games..

some quick thoughts

- Mara IS GOOD at basketball
- Sophie held with Petty, go beat a few times but finished with 8/10/3
- GG has seemed to have found her shot.. and seems to be good for a steal or 2 a game
- Maggie hitting a 3 and scoring will help her confidence
- Nia didn't score but finished with 2 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 steals and block
- Mal did her thing.. 13/6/2 1 block
- Battle after coming out in the 1st seem to play much better.. started to attack.

our defense is fun to watch this season. fun to see switching and having HELP defense.
One more note - 22 assists on 28 made baskets!!!

Top Bottom