Game 9: Gophers Visit Kentucky (12-6-23)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
The Transylvania Wildcats

Kentucky is trending in the wrong direction. In head coach Krya Elzy’s first season, the Wildcats were 9-6 in the SEC and made it to the NCAA’s second round. In her second season, an 8-8 conference record and a miracle run to the SEC tournament title got them through to the NCAA first round. Last season’s 2-14 conference record put them in the SEC cellar. Life is slowly being sucked out of the program.

It's not just the wins total that are ebbing. Kentucky began the season with 12 roster players, 11 of which were healthy. Due to a recent game day suspension and several injuries, the Wildcats only had seven players available for Sunday’s 73-67 win over Tennessee Tech. The really short bench means Kentucky will be just as tired as the Gophers who are coming off a 2 OT victory.

Last season, the Wildcats were good enough to defeat the Gophers in Williams Arena 80-74. Transfers and graduation removed most of the Wildcat players we remember from last year’s contest. But two of note remain:

6’3” senior forward Ajae Petty played 30 minutes in Minneapolis posting 16 points and 12 rebounds. In her most recent outing against Tennessee Tech, Petty notched 33 points and 15 rebounds in 33 minutes. Sophie Hart will get a workout.

5’10” senior guard Maddie Scherr posted 6 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 steals in 32 minutes. Because of injury, she did not suit up for Tennessee Tech.

There will be more guess work than usual in preparation for this game.

Here’s the 4-5 Wildcat’s record:

Wins:
East Tenn State 74-66, USC Upstate 82-54, Boston College 83-81 and Tenn Tech 73-67

Losses: @ Austin Peay 63-68, @ FGCU 48-59, In the Paradise Jam: NC State 55-84, Colorado 53-86 and Cincinnati 41-65

And here’s the highlights of their biggest win of the season. Yes, they played a home game in Transylvania. The Gophers, however, will be welcomed to Rupp Arena.

Looks like only option to follow this game is by audio? Not sure of where the Gophers are broadcast on local radio stations.

Or the I Heart Radio app. Search for KFAN Plus

Looks like the game will be on SEC ESPN network+

1701669971848.png

I hope someone might choose to play it in a bar, if so I will go so please let me know if a bar will play it.

Looks like the game will be on SEC ESPN network+

View attachment 28769

I hope someone might choose to play it in a bar, if so I will go so please let me know if a bar will play it.
Check Gopher app. If you download ESPN app on your phone, you can watch the game. At least that’s what I understand.

Check Gopher app. If you download ESPN app on your phone, you can watch the game. At least that’s what I understand.
I’m guessing you’ll need an ESPN+ account to access it, but maybe not?

I could be wrong but I think if you have the SEC channel with your cable package you can watch the game using the ESPN app and using your cable providers password! I am talking about the regular ESPN not ESPN+

Kentucky is 4-5 this season. You can learn all about them here:

Looks like there big is solid and they are a real bad three point shooting team…

I have espn+ so hopefully I will be able to get the game. Now we go on the road, so I expect their to be some challenges.

Game day. Should be a good measuring stick for how good the team is, can they beat a team they should beat on the road? 🤔

I have espn+ so hopefully I will be able to get the game. Now we go on the road, so I expect their to be some challenges.
The game is showing on the ESPN streaming schedule for tonight. I think being able to watch it depends on whether or not your cable contract includes the SEC Network.

The game is showing on the ESPN streaming schedule for tonight. I think being able to watch it depends on whether or not your cable contract includes the SEC Network.
Unfortunately I think you are correct. I think i’m gonna have to follow radio and the box score unless someone finds a video stream.

My cable company here in Ohio has the SEC Channel so I should be able to watch.

Check out ESPN +. Check out fees and whether you can cancel after a month.

ESPN+ does allow monthly pay. I have canceled it some months, but just added back to watch gophers ncaa volleyball.

I think you need to also have SEC network as well as ESPN+.

Well I have ESPN+ but not provider with SEC network and looks like I won't be able to get it. Looks like you need the ESPN app and a provider that has the SEC network. ESPN+ is one component of the ESPN app as is SEC+. Bummer.

Kentucky's Hot Ajae Petty Named SEC Player of the Week

Ajae Petty led her team with a career-high 33 points and a career-high 15 rebounds to push Kentucky past Tennessee Tech on Sunday. She became just the fourth player in program history to record a 30-15 double-double on points and rebounds, and the first player to do so in over a decade. That list includes the great Valerie Still, who was in the stands to watch it happen. It didn't just mark her first 30+ point performance, but it also marked her first 20+ point performance. It also marked her fourth double-double through nine games in 2023-24. The Wildcat also added a steal, a rebound and a career-high tying three blocks. It also marked Kentucky's first 30+ point performance since Rhyne Howard in March 2022. She now leads the Southeastern Conference in field-goal percentage (60.9) and third in the league in rebounds (9.78). That performance came after putting up 17 points and eight rebounds to help Kentucky defeat Boston College in the ACC / SEC Challenge to snap a five-game losing streak last Thursday, which at the time, was her second-best point performance in her career.

Ajae Petty
1701896547027.png

Last edited:

Top Bottom