Fleck is staying!!!

PJ Fleck is not the program.
He is the current coach of the program.

Look at it this way - Gopher Football is an apartment. PJ Fleck is the current renter. sooner or later, he will move out of the apartment and someone else will move into the apartment. If Fleck has not made a big mess of the apartment, he will get his damage deposit back.

coaches come and go. the program endures.

my loyalty is to the program. I reserve the right to be pleased or displeased at the performance of the current coach.

Look at it this way - Gopher Football is an apartment. PJ Fleck is the current renter. sooner or later, he will move out of the apartment and someone else will move into the apartment. If Fleck has not made a big mess of the apartment, he will get his damage deposit back.

my loyalty is to the program. I reserve the right to be pleased or displeased at the performance of the current coach.
PJ has made it clear the ball is the program! 🏈

Jarmond, sources tell The Athletic, did pursue Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck, but Fleck told the Bruins AD he didn’t want the job and wants to stay where he’s at. Jarmond also reached out to new Arizona coach Brent Brennan, but the former Bruins receivers coach isn’t going to leave the job he just accepted.
This can't be accurate because I've been told UCLA is by far a better job

Minnesota ❤️ PJ was in the running for the new state flag. We must demand a recount! 2nd place only counts in a paternity test.

Jarmond, sources tell The Athletic, did pursue Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck, but Fleck told the Bruins AD he didn’t want the job and wants to stay where he’s at. Jarmond also reached out to new Arizona coach Brent Brennan, but the former Bruins receivers coach isn’t going to leave the job he just accepted.

Burns reporting does not match this, he said Fleck was interested.

But, but only gopherholers could think this was possible.

I don’t want to get into it but I would take an interview if offered and meet and talk about alternative job just by default.

Am I interested? Yeah but it is on a scale of interest…

I don’t pretend to know what PJ thinks but just listening to offers or talking, seems like a sensible choice regardless.

This all happened over a really short window of time while Fleck was on vacation in Mexico. Burns has sources and is very plugged in but can guarantee his source for Fleck's interest was not Fleck himself so who knows.

Whoever Burns talked to thinks Fleck was interested, the Athletic story paints a different picture. IN the end it really doesn't matter if he was or wasn't as it sounds like he is staying.

Governor Walz was asked why he never says the before PJ he replied "do you put the before God?"

@GopherLady, my only question is whether the title should be a one, two, or three exclamation title. 😀
I'm leaning towards a one exclamation, but could be moved to a two exclamation. But, your three exclamation title is pushing it. 😅

PJ and Heather talked and set a minimum reserve price they would need to move to LA.

UCLA did not meet the minimum, otherwise they were gone.

Source: me. I made it up. But sounds good to me, so I’ll go with it. That’s the norm now

This can't be accurate because I've been told UCLA is by far a better job
Arguments can be made either way but outside of Gopherhole, if not inside of it, the consensus is/was that UCLA is the better job. But consensus and perception of everyone but PJ Fleck is irrelevant.

a lot of this is semantics. you could be "interested" in a job and look into it - and then conclude that you're better off in your current job.

the post quoting the Athletic said Fleck told the UCLA AD that "he didn't want the job." so both could be true - the job was interesting, but after looking at the pros and cons, he decided he didn't want it.

at this point, we have no idea what UCLA offered, or how much information UCLA may have provided about its finances, NIL, etc.

hey, it's a P5 school with a lot of tradition, albeit a lack of recent high-level success. so if someone approaches you in a respectful manner, you're at least going to listen. never want to burn bridges if you don't have to. but in the end, it wasn't the right offer at the right time. a different offer at a different time, and the answer may be different. but that is assuming facts not in evidence.

Some of the negativity on these two baords (football and hoops) is just incredible.

I am happy P.J. is staying. He has moments that fristrate me, but he is a good coach and the proof is in the record. 50-34 in seven years is better than we have done in my 53-year time as a Gopher football fan.
And if we lost him because we got outspent by a poor UCLA athletic dept, expect an underwhelming hire.

Washington hiring Brewster’s OC for the number they did really tells me the next gopher coach is going to be a coordinator with no HC experience. Could go great, could be a disaster. More likely to be the second.

Not ready to run fleck out of town for having the best 5 year stretch of big ten winning percentages since the late 60s

Yes I know there is a big ten west. But the team from the east the gophers have played the least is Indiana.
And the gophers only played all 9 big ten opponents from 1979-1984 and that was before Penn state was in the conference.

Arguments can be made either way but outside of Gopherhole, if not inside of it, the consensus is/was that UCLA is the better job. But consensus and perception of everyone but PJ Fleck is irrelevant.
I think UCLA is the better job to win football games at.
But I also think the ability to win compared to the booster expectation, admin expectation, ratio is far worse at UCLA.
UCLA thinks they should be USC but they’re UCLA.
Minnesota thinks they should be Wisconsin/Iowa but they’re Minnesota.

Minnesota is closer to being Iowa/Wisconsin than UCLA is to being USC

Unrealistic expectations makes good jobs awful jobs that pay well.
Realistic expectations makes average jobs good job.

He will eventually move, but until then He does make it a cool place to live.

A lot of what people think can be true and we will likely never know. PJ entertained the engagement of UCLA and possibly showed interest. After meeting or discussing it, he either didn't get an offer or he declined further engagement.

Some of the reasons there were possible interactions are some of the local ties and possible relationships. My understanding is that the CEO of Target is a UCLA alum and possibly was interested in getting Fleck to his alma mater. Also the AD from UCLA has been here and spoken at Target headquarters. He was looking for someone like Fleck and they would likely mesh. That's all speculation, but often how some of this stuff works.

In the end it looks like Fleck wanted to stay here and has some unfinished business.

Commenters have said UCLA football has a poorly funded NIL & are highly in debt. Why is that? What's causing the deficit? The big question, whatever is causing UCLA & the state of California's downfall could it happen in Minnesota & the U? Save Gopher football.

Of course he took a meeting with UCLA, tailor made opportunity to get an extension done!

Just business.

I like the idea that Head coaches are just renters! However this is what Alabama would have built in campus for Saban.
IMG_4376.jpeg

Anyone that subscribes to a Ruesse idea immediate loses credibility.

It’s unfortunate some people forget how bad MN has been at times. Fleck has made MN relevant, fun to watch and he is a good person that graduates good players.
Or maybe the fact that the Gophers play in a Power 2 conference and kids want to play in the best conferences has made MN relevant........just sayin.

Top Bottom