Fleck has lost his hunger/edge

I think what the OP is really asking, is Fleck hungry or is he starving?

Fleck will attempt to head to Michigan State if Tucker is out. He will have a lot of competition though because the job is high profile.
I doubt they even come knocking. If they were smart they’d target high profile assistants now before other jobs open up.

I think PJ’s biggest fault is he sticks with his guys.

AK is the QB. No Coke Kramer wildcatting, just one QB please.

He has 1 RB and 1 backup. Tyler hasn’t gotten a carry in two weeks. Evans hasn’t gotten one. Share the load PJ.

Takes the foot off the gas, up 31 - 10 and LOST! Total overconfident run out the clock mentality by coaches and players.

Pathetic

Sources of your information? Your rumor needs to be vetted and confirmed before it is accurate, real and fact.

Rumor? Conspiracy? Wishful thinking on your part? Chaos creating rumors may be “…in style…” in 2023, yet I’m going to just follow each Gopher game this season, root for wins for my team and see what the heck actually happens for this 2023 Gopher Team, program and coaching staff.

Go Gopher!
Perhaps just opinion like everything else here.

Is there actually any real smoke to Coyle leaving? If there is, he may take Fleck with him.
We can only hope Coyle bolts and takes Fleck with him. When Fleck leaves however it occurs, it will not be a coaching job.

Predictable and conservative in all facets. Abuse your stud RB, put minimal pressure on the other D with cave man offense approach. Just put in the Single Wing. Rossi is even getting conservative with 3 man prevent rush and rarely pressures the QB. 100% fair catches on special teams. No imagination.
THIS is my sentiment, almost exactly! I am so tired of the 'safe' play--sometimes you have to go off 'the plan'. Otherwise, everyone knows your plan and in some cases (4th quarter, Northwestern game being the latest example) the other team can execute YOUR plan better than you can.

He’s become comfortable and protective. He’s lost his edge in a big way. It seemed to happen in 2020. Without Ciarocca he’s nothing special. Ya wonder if he’ll ever get it back? You can blame the players all you want, it’s not the players, it’s the head coach and coaching staff.
It could be he's just a conservative HC in need of an aggressive OC to balance things out. The worse the season record, the more he'll be willing to take chances. We'll see I guess.

We can only hope Coyle bolts and takes Fleck with him. When Fleck leaves however it occurs, it will not be a coaching job.

And there would go the best major sports AD and best football coach the Gophers have had in my lifetime.

I still don't have a lot of faith that the U administration wants to further improve the major sports program here. The next president will be important. Gabel was terrible.

Something isn’t right. Our staff seems distracted. I wouldn’t be surprised if that distraction isn’t the MSU job.

And there would go the best major sports AD and best football coach the Gophers have had in my lifetime.

I still don't have a lot of faith that the U administration wants to further improve the major sports program here. The next president will be important. Gabel was terrible.
There is absolutely no basis to say Fleck or anybody we have had since Bernie Bierman is the best coach we have had.

I think PJ’s biggest fault is he sticks with his guys.

AK is the QB. No Coke Kramer wildcatting, just one QB please.

He has 1 RB and 1 backup. Tyler hasn’t gotten a carry in two weeks. Evans hasn’t gotten one. Share the load PJ.

Takes the foot off the gas, up 31 - 10 and LOST! Total overconfident run out the clock mentality by coaches and players.

Pathetic

The offense has some growing pains and who lines up at RB this Saturday is going to be interesting. But this loss wasn't cause the Gophers took the foot off the gas.

This loss was completely on pass defense.
21 points in 13 minutes.
396 passing yards and 4 TDs to clearly confused schemes and/or players.
80 yard TD bomb.

While I can appreciate a desire for a more competent offense, the pass coverage is at red alert. I just hope it doesn't get to abandon ship.

It could be he's just a conservative HC in need of an aggressive OC to balance things out. The worse the season record, the more he'll be willing to take chances. We'll see I guess.
Would love it if that would happen. Keep PJ but bring in an aggressive OC and let him coach the offense.

The offense has some growing pains and who lines up at RB this Saturday is going to be interesting. But this loss wasn't cause the Gophers took the foot off the gas.

This loss was completely on pass defense.
21 points in 13 minutes.
396 passing yards and 4 TDs to clearly confused schemes and/or players.
80 yard TD bomb.

While I can appreciate a desire for a more competent offense, the pass coverage is at red alert. I just hope it doesn't get to abandon ship.
If the offense makes a few first downs NW doesn’t have three possessions to score three times.

When did he ever have it?
Even in 2019 he punted from WI 37 yard line.
He used to be more intense. I don’t see that intensity anymore. Not on the sideline, not in his press conferences. His will to win seems to be less. Winning seems to have become less important.

If the offense makes a few first downs NW doesn’t have three possessions to score three times.
Alight, admit some hyperbole. But... under Fleck, Rossi, and our OCs which is more likely over 13 minutes:

Gophers defense stopping 224 yards
Gophers offense being productive

Last edited:

Curious GWG...Former Prexy Gabel was terrible for revenue sports or more her sense of potential conflicts of interest (to lay out a potential continuum)?

If on the revenue athletics she had me fooled. Her pedigree seemed sound but what do I know? Inquiring Billd on your perspective here...

Is the playbook limited until Athan Kaliakmanis is more experienced?

I'm one of those people saying, hand the ball off almost every play in the second half because you can't win right now passing.

But maybe not. I don't know.

All would have been fine if the defensive secondary didn't breakdown in the 4th with puzzling errors. Not great but fine enough to win.

Took 7 years to get our first traditional Mason loss. Defense is leaky this year for big plays and teams now see the blood.
How are you defining "traditional Mason loss"? Because, this is far from the first loss where they were supposed to be walking away with a lopsided win:

2018: At Illinois: Lost by 24. Favored big. Fired the DC.
2021: Bowling Green at home: Lost by 4. Should have slaughtered them.

There could be more, but for sure these two. The biggest problem with Fleck is his determined loyalty. Held on to the OC for two seasons before firing him. He refuses to see it. It will be the same with Harbaugh. No creativity in his play calling, that's the problem. He won't see this soon enough. Really hope that I'm wrong, would be happy to eat crow on this one, but I don't see it.

Top Bottom