Fleck has lost his hunger/edge

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
He’s become comfortable and protective. He’s lost his edge in a big way. It seemed to happen in 2020. Without Ciarocca he’s nothing special. Ya wonder if he’ll ever get it back? You can blame the players all you want, it’s not the players, it’s the head coach and coaching staff.

PJ Fleck is simply Tim Brewster with a better support staff. PJ is all rah-rah to inspire the team and convince recruits to come here (this has not been successful) but when you are 7 years in and the team is rebuilding AGAIN - it loses its luster. PJ was never a play caller or inventive offensive mind. Thus, when the rah-rah stops working, we are in for a bad season. I though we would win 6 games this year and that still feels right to me. AK will improve next year but with UCLA and USC joining, our chances of winning anything better than runner-up division champ goes from slim to none. It is what it is.

Predictable and conservative in all facets. Abuse your stud RB, put minimal pressure on the other D with cave man offense approach. Just put in the Single Wing. Rossi is even getting conservative with 3 man prevent rush and rarely pressures the QB. 100% fair catches on special teams. No imagination.

The offense, eh, I expected a mess. I'll believe the Gophers will have a good offense when I finally see an OC and QB tandem that are coveted by other P5 programs.

The run defense and line play have been fine. The tackling fundamentals have been off. But holy moly the coverage miscues are an a what on earth is going on?

Predictable and conservative in all facets. Abuse your stud RB, put minimal pressure on the other D with cave man offense approach. Just put in the Single Wing. Rossi is even getting conservative with 3 man prevent rush and rarely pressures the QB. 100% fair catches on special teams. No imagination.
Exactly. So conservative. He coaches the game like he's just terrified that something bad will happen.

After the west coast teams come in the gophers will always be playing for 12 place in the conference and this style of conservative play will be a joke compared to Oregon's track meat style the gophers don't have the athletes to compete

After the west coast teams come in the gophers will always be playing for 12 place in the conference and this style of conservative play will be a joke compared to Oregon's track meat style the gophers don't have the athletes to compete

I do think the Gophers and other average programs in the BIG will have recruiting benefits by having more elite schools in the same conference. Not saying they'll have top 20 or anything, but certainly make the bump to top 40 more easy.

Last edited:

He's the same guy, he's always been. I'd feel more hopeful about the future if I agreed that he lost something. I see a guy who is either unwilling or unable to adapt past a strategy that is largely to play risk averse and hope your opponent makes some mistakes.

PJ Fleck is simply Tim Brewster with a better support staff. PJ is all rah-rah to inspire the team and convince recruits to come here (this has not been successful) but when you are 7 years in and the team is rebuilding AGAIN - it loses its luster. PJ was never a play caller or inventive offensive mind. Thus, when the rah-rah stops working, we are in for a bad season. I though we would win 6 games this year and that still feels right to me. AK will improve next year but with UCLA and USC joining, our chances of winning anything better than runner-up division champ goes from slim to none. It is what it is.
Haha, no. Fleck has a system, a plan. We may not always like it but he does. Brewster never did.

Both Coach Fleck and AD Coyle are applying for their next job. They are not concerned about the present state of Minnesota football. Both will not be here a year from now.

Both Coach Fleck and AD Coyle are applying for their next job. They are not concerned about the present state of Minnesota football. Both will not be here a year from now.
We know about Coyle but have there been any signs on Fleck?

Haha, no. Fleck has a system, a plan. We may not always like it but he does. Brewster never did.
Ditto. Brewster hoped real hard, but there was no substance, just style. Fleck is a legit D1 coach, but something is super upside down that needs to be corrected.

The Great thing about being a head coach no one ever second guesses you. In one game you go for a 1st down with a yard to go and you make it...the next game you don't make it...the next game you don't try...but the fans never question your decisions.

But that's the fun of sports! everyone has an opinion and everyone can put themselves in the coaches seat and pretend to be something they are not, never were, nor will ever be.

As someone who listens to close to every Fleck press conference and follows him pretty closely, it just seems that covid and the George Floyd situation changed him. Like winning became less important. Like he lost the edge and intensity he had. Like he became softer.

Read my posts. I wrote earlier that our defense was suspect at best. Our offensive line is RIDICULOUS. (if in doubt just zero in on our right tackle). I gave up my season tickets last night. See ya!

I don’t know about his edge, but he’s probably still got his hunger if all he has for breakfast is difficult conversations.

As someone who listens to close to every Fleck press conference and follows him pretty closely, it just seems that covid and the George Floyd situation changed him. Like winning became less important. Like he lost the edge and intensity he had. Like he became softer.
I think it's as simple as someone outside his mentorverse getting his ear on offensive philosophy. Fleck does so much right but needs to shift on offense like Saban once did.

I think it's as simple as someone outside his mentorverse getting his ear on offensive philosophy. Fleck does so much right but needs to shift on offense like Saban once did.
This is a good point. He seems to be in the Schiano tree of slow plodding offense and run clock. The problem is the rules have changed and athletes in space win games now. You can coach defense to be sound and tackle and play conservative (if we tackle well yesterday, we win the game). You can’t continue to run an offensive strategy like this forever unless your goal is a mid tier bowl game. Maybe that’s all PJ cares about and feeling like he’s making the players better people.

Fleck will attempt to head to Michigan State if Tucker is out. He will have a lot of competition though because the job is high profile.

Sources of your information? Your rumor needs to be vetted and confirmed before it is accurate, real and fact.

Rumor? Conspiracy? Wishful thinking on your part? Chaos creating rumors may be “…in style…” in 2023, yet I’m going to just follow each Gopher game this season, root for wins for my team and see what the heck actually happens for this 2023 Gopher Team, program and coaching staff.

Go Gopher!

Last edited:

Top Bottom