Fleck and Fickell go back on forth about Martin Owusu negative recruitment

I was going to say I'd love for this to become a huge rivalry again but screw it, let's pound these guys into the ground year in, year out. Time for the pendulum to swing back in our favor for 20 years straight.

We don’t know the specifics of the “negative recruiting”. The term

Any of the big city vs. college town arguments.
Does this work against us? I would imagine it's in our favor for most prospects.

Remember we're not recruiting old white dudes who often have negative attitudes about cities. We're recruiting teenagers who want to go to college and party and meet girls and in the case of the Black players, have a community around that looks like them.

I grew up on a dirt road in the boonies and the big city was a big reason for choosing the U

I have no problem with playing Jump Around at the Bank or having the department tweet out something snarky to tweek a rival. To me, the HC talking about it at a presser rises to a different level and comes across as whiney, but to each his own. We flipped a couple of guys, so it is not as if we view a verbal commitment as a stop sign. It’s quite possible that Vandy wasn’t thrilled that we flipped their receiver and just might feel that we recruited negatively to get that accomplished.
Flipping is not the same as negative recruiting. And it takes the kid leaving his recruitment open for a flip to occur. I didn't take Fleck mentioning it as whiny, I took it as him puffing his chest out about being above that sort of tactic and overcoming those tactics that some other programs do. In fact, it could be shown as a negative attack back at Fickel I suppose. I'm never going to hold it against a coach for standing up for himself and the program he represents. It's a good thing for us and why some of us hold Brewster in high regard despite his coaching acumen.

I was going to say I'd love for this to become a huge rivalry again but screw it, let's pound these guys into the ground year in, year out. Time for the pendulum to swing back in our favor for 20 years straight.
If Fleck can beat WI 50-0, and hold TOP of 45min or better every game against them I would love it. Make them look back on the Alvarez years like we do of our national championship years. Make them give up football like they did their baseball program. Empty out their effing stadium of fans.

The two of them could have some history, they were both on staff at Ohio State in 2006.
If those here arent aware, there's a strong dislike between Fleck and Fickell that dates back to this exact time frame. Some interesting stories have been told about Fickell and Fleck at practices. I can't confirm personally, but it will make this rivalry fun again if they're even remotely true.

If those here arent aware, there's a strong dislike between Fleck and Fickell that dates back to this exact time frame. Some interesting stories have been told about Fickell and Fleck at practices. I can't confirm personally, but it will make this rivalry fun again if they're even remotely true.
From the stories I have read, I’m excited about which of the two the gophers have.
Fickell could be great but I think he has major downside potential for Wisconsin as well.

Whereas the Nebraska hire may not have the same upside but I also think Rhule has a higher floor than Fickell.

I think we can have some fun with alliteration in the future as we consistently stomp Bucky. "Lyin' Luke Fickell loses. Again."

Last edited:

Fleck is 3-3 and no kid getting recruited cares about anything before Fleck.
Head to head would be way down on the list of things to use. 13 of their last 17 seasons have been nine or more win seasons and ranked. Been to the B1G championship five times in the last 12 years. Been to Rose, Cotton, and Orange bowls in that stretch. Pretty easy to say to a recruit "How does that compare to MN? How do we compare to MN since Fleck has been there?"

Head to head would be way down on the list of things to use. 13 of their last 17 seasons have been nine or more win seasons and ranked. Been to the B1G championship five times in the last 12 years. Been to Rose, Cotton, and Orange bowls in that stretch. Pretty easy to say to a recruit "How does that compare to MN? How do we compare to MN since Fleck has been there?"
Stats are all adjustable. WI has had 3 coaches in the last 10 years and hasn't won the B1G in that stretch. Since Fleck has been at MN. The first 2 years WI was 14-4 and MN was 5-13. Last 4 years WI is 20-13 and MN is 21-13.

Negative recruiting likely isn't using any of these stats anyway. I don't consider sharing program on field marks as negative recruiting. Negative recruiting is likely character, culture, and bordering on personal.

BTW, I'd bet that Fleck would have ignored negative recruiting that was something generalized about Minnesota or the Gophers team. I suspect that to get a rise out of Fleck the "negative recruiting" materials must have been an ad hominem criticism of (or attack) on Fleck personally. I think he's a little touchy about stuff like that (aren't we all).

Fickell, rearranged, is IL + FLECK. Fickell is also a homonym of "fickle." Not sure what it means, but for now I'd rather be MN than WI.

I, for one, from now on will only refer to the Fadger coach as Fickle or some other derivative.

Stats are all adjustable. WI has had 3 coaches in the last 10 years and hasn't won the B1G in that stretch. Since Fleck has been at MN. The first 2 years WI was 14-4 and MN was 5-13. Last 4 years WI is 20-13 and MN is 21-13.

Negative recruiting likely isn't using any of these stats anyway. I don't consider sharing program on field marks as negative recruiting. Negative recruiting is likely character, culture, and bordering on personal.
Wisc has been to the B1G championship twice in that stretch. Easy to say to a recruit that they (Gophs) want to be us (Wisc).

I welcome the banter. It’s been too long since there was a Badger coach that was easy to hate. Ryan and Bielema made Gard and Chryst look like saints.

BTW, I'd bet that Fleck would have ignored negative recruiting that was something generalized about Minnesota or the Gophers team. I suspect that to get a rise out of Fleck the "negative recruiting" materials must have been an ad hominem criticism of (or attack) on Fleck personally. I think he's a little touchy about stuff like that (aren't we all).
I think the same as well.

Fickell added more fuel to an already fierce rivalry, can’t wait for next years game at home!

Wisc has been to the B1G championship twice in that stretch. Easy to say to a recruit that they (Gophs) want to be us (Wisc).
So has northwestern
It’s almost as if division titles mean something but not everything

So has northwestern
It’s almost as if division titles mean something but not everything
Yep, just think of how Fleck's recruiting might be stronger if Gophs had.

defining "negative recruiting" brings to mind the famous comment from Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart.

Asked to define "obscenity," Stewart said "I know it when I see it."

I think the same could be said about negative recruiting.

It's one thing to poke fun at a rival or talk a little trash.

but true "negative" recruiting - IMHO - is something a little meaner or more personal.

Top Bottom