FCS Playoffs

Thanks for the
I went to school at MSUM (just MSU then, because I'm old). The Bison were still D2 at the time, but the fuss people made about that team even then, you'd think they were Michigan or Ohio State.
Bison fans are delusional about their place in the college football pecking order and always have been. I have several good friends who are fans, so I've seen it a lot.

A decent number of them think they should be FBS, and from a competitive standpoint, they probably should be. But they don't understand why no conference is coming knocking on their door, begging them to join. Even lowly Conference USA, when they were desperate for survival bringing in Jacksonville and Sam Houston, both weaker, less known programs without much for fan bases, didn't seem all that interested in any of the Dakota four. Of course if you listen to the most vocal Bison fans, C-USA would be beneath them anyway.

The only two real options are the MWC and the MAC, and Fargo is fairly isolated from either. When UND in Grand Forks was in the Big Sky, they even had concerns with travel costs, and the two schools (along with all other public colleges in ND) are under the same governing board.
Thanks for the explanation. I admire programs like NDSU who seem to recruit good kids, play disciplined, and win consistently. Seems like The four Dakota schools, the two in Montana, and maybe two or three from Idaho would make a good conference. Fans of those schools are not distracted by the NFL in their states so they're more attached to college ball, unlike Minnesota where the Gophers fall behind the Vikings, Twins, Wild, and Timberwolves in fan zeal.

Me to daughter at SDSU: You going to the Rabbits game today? I'll be watching on ESPN.

Daughter: Umm, it's 45 mph winds and I have studying to do for finals. Not everyone likes lousy weather games like you.

I failed as a parent.
I had the same experience with my daughter at Montana. I watched on ESPN, sent her a text asking if she was at the game. She said no but wanted updates. You are not alone brother.

I went to school at MSUM (just MSU then, because I'm old). The Bison were still D2 at the time, but the fuss people made about that team even then, you'd think they were Michigan or Ohio State.
Bison fans are delusional about their place in the college football pecking order and always have been. I have several good friends who are fans, so I've seen it a lot.

A decent number of them think they should be FBS, and from a competitive standpoint, they probably should be. But they don't understand why no conference is coming knocking on their door, begging them to join. Even lowly Conference USA, when they were desperate for survival bringing in Jacksonville and Sam Houston, both weaker, less known programs without much for fan bases, didn't seem all that interested in any of the Dakota four. Of course if you listen to the most vocal Bison fans, C-USA would be beneath them anyway.

The only two real options are the MWC and the MAC, and Fargo is fairly isolated from either. When UND in Grand Forks was in the Big Sky, they even had concerns with travel costs, and the two schools (along with all other public colleges in ND) are under the same governing board.
When the xDSUs moved up, the fan goal was Big Sky, but the admin goal was MVFC. Travel was one piece and the other was time zone differences. There are a couple of teams in the ETZ in the MVFC but mostly central time zone games. the Big Sky meant mostly Mountain and Pacific Time zones and a lot of games across all sports starting when decent midwestern folks were going to bad. Bad for fan interest.

The MW would create the same fan interest issues, late start times, etc. C-USA and MAC are trash conferences playing games in empty stadiums on any day other than Saturdays. FCS is getting watered down, but I'd hate to see a move to C-USA and MAC. FCS at least still has an appearance of traditional college football.

The level of play at FCS will get younger and deteriorate over time due to NIL and the transfer portal.
I think it (FCS level of play) will actually improve because of the portal. I think the FCS gets more competitive when FBS kids transfer in. I guess time will tell.

Really insightful. Thank you.
Just pointing out that you said it would get more competitive with FBs transfers coming in

But that already existed. Talent moving down has not changed. Only talent moving up has changed.
Maybe FCs will get better by pulling up D2 guys and D3 guys at a higher rate

Just pointing out that you said it would get more competitive with FBs transfers coming in

But that already existed. Talent moving down has not changed. Only talent moving up has changed.
I have no data on this but it is conceivable that overall roster volatility at FBS and the immediate availability of FCS transfers moving up to FBS might drive more FBS > FCS transfers.

SDSU has a big time contributor transfer from NAIA and a DII guy or two. The NAIA guy has been a much bigger contributor than an Iowa State transfer.

another issue going forward -

If at some point, FBS does split into two levels - the "Super League" level and the "rest of FBS level,"
then what do the FCS schools do? do they stay at FCS, or do they try to move up to the next tier, where they would be competing against the G5 level schools - but not having to try and compete with the big-money Helmet schools.

If, say, an SDSU or NDSU could play the MN's of the world and not have to go up against the OSU's etc, that might be more enticing - assuming there is some TV money left over for the 'rest of FBS' schools.

another issue going forward -

If at some point, FBS does split into two levels - the "Super League" level and the "rest of FBS level,"
then what do the FCS schools do? do they stay at FCS, or do they try to move up to the next tier, where they would be competing against the G5 level schools - but not having to try and compete with the big-money Helmet schools.

If, say, an SDSU or NDSU could play the MN's of the world and not have to go up against the OSU's etc, that might be more enticing - assuming there is some TV money left over for the 'rest of FBS' schools.
I mean the FCS powers already do play the MN's of the world, they wouldn't play them much more often as a part of the MAC or MWC. Liberty managed to play a whole FBS schedule without playing anyone better than South Dakota State. The second level has always been the G5 and the FCS powers, just some play for a title and some play in terrible bowls.

I have no data on this but it is conceivable that overall roster volatility at FBS and the immediate availability of FCS transfers moving up to FBS might drive more FBS > FCS transfers.

SDSU has a big time contributor transfer from NAIA and a DII guy or two. The NAIA guy has been a much bigger contributor than an Iowa State transfer.
Very insightful. Thank you.
- Sanjay Larrick

There are are lot of moving parts for sure. He just made a claim implying that now people can move down easier/more because of the portal. And it is just straight up false. The ability to move down a level has not changed.

I saw 2-3 Johnnies entered the portal. It’ll be interesting to see where they go.

I saw 2-3 Johnnies entered the portal. It’ll be interesting to see where they go.
I can't see that much pull-up from D3, unless it's a REALLY special player.

Very insightful. Thank you.
- Sanjay Larrick

There are are lot of moving parts for sure. He just made a claim implying that now people can move down easier/more because of the portal. And it is just straight up false. The ability to move down a level has not changed.
Sounds like "implying" is the issue then. It's all good. You have your reasons for seeing it they way you see it and I have mine. We're both probably a little correct and a little wrong.

I can't see that much pull-up from D3, unless it's a REALLY special player.
Didn’t they have a guy get drafted??

Or maybe I’m thinking of Whitewater. Fake D3

Didn’t they have a guy get drafted??

Or maybe I’m thinking of Whitewater. Fake D3
Ben Bartch, currently playing for the 49ers.

They recently had Ravi Alston transfer up to Montana State, and their TE Alex Larson might get some looks at the NFL.

100%. Look at QB for instance. Guys want to go somewhere where they can play right away. Sometimes the best bet is to drop down a level to FCS.

All Rabbits so far. Two touchdown drives and an Albany INT sandwiched between them. 14-0 1Q

42-0 in the 3rd. What a joke.

Idaho would have given them a better game.

This is not worth Its own thread. Ill post it here.

There is a rumor going around Fargo that Tim Brewster was here today about the NDSU coaching job.

Probably isnt true but still amusing. The only place I can find it online is on the NDSU message board. I did hear it from word of mouth here in Fargo also.

I think it is crap. Did make me chuckle though. If it was true there would be more sources than just an NDSU message board.

FWIW, Albany's last regular season loss was on Oct. 14th @ New Hampshire, 38-31.
Max Brosmer went 29-49, 342 passing yards, 3 td, 1 int. He also had a rushing td.

MVFC and The Big Sky should just merge and move up to FBS. They have at least 8 programs that are significantly better than about a dozen G5 programs.

Top Bottom