FCS Playoffs

Thought our special teams were bad. SDSU kid didn’t know the muffed kickoff rule and tried to run out of the end zone. Fumbled on the 3 and SDSU recovered. They punted out of end zone.

Nova driving and could tie with 2pt if they score.

Another school that was giving a look at moving FBS a while ago.

Starting to slip away for Nova.

Assuming Idaho wins, would be an Ida-Mon-Dak final four.

Me to daughter at SDSU: You going to the Rabbits game today? I'll be watching on ESPN.

Daughter: Umm, it's 45 mph winds and I have studying to do for finals. Not everyone likes lousy weather games like you.

I failed as a parent.

Bison are destroying the Yotes. 21-3 in 1q
Yes. FCS playoff is better that CFP. But it’s too big.
5 teams from one league (MVC) seems pretty ridiculous. Too many at larges

May as well not watch those big regular season games in the Missouri valley

Friday night - Montana 35, Furman 28
(Montana - the Dental Floss state....)

Saturday-
SDSU 23, Villanova 12
NDSU 45, South Dakota 17

tonight - Albany vs Idaho.

Montana wins over Furman in OT. The Griz had a KO and punt return for TD's. Was Fleck watching?
Exciting game filled with lots of D inspite of 35-28 score.

USD, SDS and NDSU play tomorrow.

Fun!
Thought our special teams were bad. SDSU kid didn’t know the muffed kickoff rule and tried to run out of the end zone. Fumbled on the 3 and SDSU recovered. They punted out of end zone.
If Fleck gets blame for our guys not returning kicks for touchdowns, he should get credit for our guys not fumbling.

NDSU going to Missoula for one of the semis.

Where it all started for the Bizon, back in 2003. Started move up, Bohl’s first year, went to Missoula and shocked the (then I-AA) world.

SDSU has generally had good special teams play this season.

Yes. FCS playoff is better that CFP. But it’s too big.
5 teams from one league (MVC) seems pretty ridiculous. Too many at larges

May as well not watch those big regular season games in the Missouri valley
I think a large part of that is due to the number of former powerhouse teams that have moved up in the last ten years or so.

I looked at the bracket. 4 CAA teams, including Albany who is playing tonight.
5 MVFC (as mentioned), 4 Big Sky, 3 SoCon etc. There just aren't as many teams as there were.

Albany and Idaho playing in Idaho's crazy bunker stadium.

How is it that northern and Midwest teams seem to dominate the FCS?

It seems there are plenty of southeastern FCS schools, which are closer to recruiting hotbeds, so why don’t they dominate national championships like the SEC? Are those states so SEC obsessed that they just don’t invest in or care about those programs?

My theory is “yes” in response to the last question. The winning FCS teams tend to come from states that don’t have big-time FBS programs. Interesting dynamic.

And go Jacks!

It seems there are plenty of southeastern FCS schools, which are closer to recruiting hotbeds, so why don’t they dominate national championships like the SEC? Are those states so SEC obsessed that they just don’t invest in or care about those programs?

My theory is “yes” in response to the last question. The winning FCS teams tend to come from states that don’t have big-time FBS programs. Interesting dynamic.

And go Jacks!
The northern midwest has been fairly overlooked for talent forever. Back before recruiting was national for almost everyone, you kept most of the regional guys "home". A lot of out state guys in MN and WI get picked up by the Dakota schools now. If you look at walk on offers for some of the FBS schools in the northern midwest, almost all of them have an offer from the Dakota schools or Northern Rockies schools. I think it speaks to the large amount overlooked talent here.

The level of play at FCS will get younger and deteriorate over time due to NIL and the transfer portal.

USD frauds all season. This result was predictable. NDSU, despite 3 regular season losses, is still a top 4 team, just in terms of talent alone.
How did they not even get a seed??

Watched a bit of the game. 10-2 record in the MVFC = 3 seed, 10-3 record in the same conf = no seed??

I think the simple answer is two fold:

1) lot of good former FCS southern teams have left the sub-division for FBS

2) at least for upper Midwest there is a big gap between DII and P5 in states like MN, WI, Iowa. Only so many roster slots.

MVFC schools basically are the MAC schools for this region.

That part doesn’t hold as much water for the Big Sky, where there are Mountain West schools inbetween the (former) PAC schools.

The level of play at FCS will get younger and deteriorate over time due to NIL and the transfer portal.
The portal givith and taketh. A lot of FBS players who don't start at that level (but think they should) will enter the portal and ultimately land on FCS teams. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

And go Jacks!
The other reason is that a lot of the FCS level schools in the south and southeast are in the MEAC and SWAC - the two Historically Black College conferences. They generally don't participate in the playoffs because they have the traditional Celebration bowl, between the winners of the two conferences, and that takes place after the FCS playoffs have started. The Ivy league also doesn't participate in the playoffs by choice.

Top Bottom