FCS Championship game is going on KSTP Channel 5 Twin Cities at 11:00 AM

Bold take. 67% completion. 28 touchdowns. Zero interceptions. I'd like to see what an average passer looks like in your world!

FWIW, this NFL Draft analyst has Lance as top QB in 2022.

He is a big ten athlete playing QB. I have seen him play a couple games and is inconsistent with accuracy. Ndsu is so much better then half their oppenents lance in constantly throwing to people who are wide open. Every p5 guy would have great stats if they were on ndsu team playing against teams like butler.

Butler is non-scholarship. Their team is at the level of the MIAC. They're forced to play FCS because they're DI in other sports.

There are a couple handfuls of programs left in FCS that want to spend the money it takes to be nationally competitive at that level. Most are in CAA, Missouri Valley, and Big Sky conferences.

JMU has the most realistic chance of receiving an invite to move up to a G5 conference. They would likely be following the footsteps of fellow Virginia public university Old Dominion, and former rivals App State.

The Bison are down from past years. Their Sagarin rating is in the 30s, and it's been in the 20s most years in the recent past. Will be interesting to see if this is a minor dip or a trend.

The Bison are down from past years. Their Sagarin rating is in the 30s, and it's been in the 20s most years in the recent past. Will be interesting to see if this is a minor dip or a trend.
There are usually a few wise-guy AP voters that vote for them as #25 in the year end poll.

Rural upper midwest seem to be under rated by all the ratings services. Once in a great while, you have Blaise Andries who you cannot miss. I won't be surprised where some players who did not have a development program in HS who goes to a program like NDSU and develops into an NFL caliber player. I can't think of the name of the player recently who went to NDSU and got drafted into the NFL.
Easton Stick last year to the Chargers?

He is a big ten athlete playing QB. I have seen him play a couple games and is inconsistent with accuracy. Ndsu is so much better then half their oppenents lance in constantly throwing to people who are wide open. Every p5 guy would have great stats if they were on ndsu team playing against teams like butler.
Butler is a brutal football team.

Look, I love Tanner Morgan, been driving his bandwagon since midseason last year. He's unquestionably the best QB we've had in 50 years. And yet he had more FCS interceptions (1) than Lance did this year. That's incredibly impressive on Lance's part.

Harvard is a private school.

Anyway, MV is a very good school, one of the best in MN.
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say no matter how good of a school MV is that there are students, many students, there that couldn’t get admitted to the “U”. Heck, class rank alone would keep some out.

What is interesting is NDSU fans are getting complacent and are not selling out a 19 000 seat stadium. In fact they had only 14 500 for the FCS quarterfinal against Montana State. Even the semi finals were 1,000 short of a sell out. The games are inside so weather shouldn't factor in.

What is interesting is NDSU fans are getting complacent and are not selling out a 19 000 seat stadium. In fact they had only 14 500 for the FCS quarterfinal against Montana State. Even the semi finals were 1,000 short of a sell out. The games are inside so weather shouldn't factor in.

My nephew gets free student section seats, they leave my half time most games as it's already a blowout and they'd sooner get back to partying then watch NDSU run up the score.

It's the same issue all schools have. People don't go to games that aren't expected to be competitive.

Bold take. 67% completion. 28 touchdowns. Zero interceptions. I'd like to see what an average passer looks like in your world!

FWIW, this NFL Draft analyst has Lance as top QB in 2022.

The only reason I'm a little hesitant is because this year he was almost always playing with a lead and never really had to win games with his arm. In the playoffs alone (against the best competition they faced all year), he averaged less than 150 yards passing and 17 attempts a game. He averaged nearly as many rushing attempts in those games (16).

His numbers are good and he may end up being a stud in the NFL one day, I just think you have to take his numbers with a grain of salt is all.

The only reason I'm a little hesitant is because this year he was almost always playing with a lead and never really had to win games with his arm. In the playoffs alone (against the best competition they faced all year), he averaged less than 150 yards passing and 17 attempts a game. He averaged nearly as many rushing attempts in those games (16).

His numbers are good and he may end up being a stud in the NFL one day, I just think you have to take his numbers with a grain of salt is all.
100%. Large majority of the big plays came on the ground. Plus never faced an elite pass rush or press corners.

just looking at recent and semi-recent Gopher history. How many rushing attempts did Mitch Leidner average? He was an effective running QB and battled injuries for much of his career. I held my breath every time Tanner Morgan got hit by big D linemen from Penn State, Auburn, etc. this season.

Picture NDSU playing the Gopher's schedule this season and factor 16 QB rushing attempts in per game and ask yourself how long would a QB like that last in the B1G? An off-season-long build up to a super bowl of sorts (like NDSU is already doing with their game against Oregon next season) is one thing. Facing it week in and week out is quite another. And, that doesn't mean NDSU is bad, wrong, etc. There is a reason why there is a scholarship disparity between FBS and FCS. It is two different divisions for a reason, and it is what it is (regardless of what the drunk guy in the green sweatshirt at the end of the bar says about how many games NDSU would win in the Big 12).

just looking at recent and semi-recent Gopher history. How many rushing attempts did Mitch Leidner average? He was an effective running QB and battled injuries for much of his career. I held my breath every time Tanner Morgan got hit by big D linemen from Penn State, Auburn, etc. this season.

Picture NDSU playing the Gopher's schedule this season and factor 16 QB rushing attempts in per game and ask yourself how long would a QB like that last in the B1G? An off-season-long build up to a super bowl of sorts (like NDSU is already doing with their game against Oregon next season) is one thing. Facing it week in and week out is quite another. And, that doesn't mean NDSU is bad, wrong, etc. There is a reason why there is a scholarship disparity between FBS and FCS. It is two different divisions for a reason, and it is what it is (regardless of what the drunk guy in the green sweatshirt at the end of the bar says about how many games NDSU would win in the Big 12).
It is factual that Lance averaged nearly 16 QB rushing attempts per game in the playoffs, but that number is misleading. For the playoffs, he went 11, 11, 11, and then 30(!) attempts in the championship game. His season average of 10.5 rushes per game is much more sustainable.

For perspective, Jalen Hurts averaged 16.6 rushing attempts per game this season.

John Rhys Plumlee (Ole Miss) averaged 17.1

It is factual that Lance averaged nearly 16 QB rushing attempts per game in the playoffs, but that number is misleading. For the playoffs, he went 11, 11, 11, and then 30(!) attempts in the championship game. His season average of 10.5 rushes per game is much more sustainable.

For perspective, Jalen Hurts averaged 16.6 rushing attempts per game this season.

John Rhys Plumlee (Ole Miss) averaged 17.1
For me it's more the overall system. NDSU against FCS teams can just overpower teams at the line of scrimmage. They had 700 rush attempts this season compared to just 303 pass attempts. They wouldn't always be able to do that against tougher competition.

when Morgan played against South Dakota State, he must have thrown for 500 yards and 10 touchdowns right? Wrong, there are lots of good FCS teams, especially in the Missouri Valley. SDSU fumbled away a win vs. Minnesota, and they ended up the 4th best team in that league.

if Lance is inaccurate what is Morgan? Morgan has the lower completion percentage and 7 picks. When you look at arm strength and feet, there’s no question which one I’d take. And Morgan is a great QB. Lance has unlimited potential.

when Morgan played against South Dakota State, he must have thrown for 500 yards and 10 touchdowns right? Wrong, there are lots of good FCS teams, especially in the Missouri Valley. SDSU fumbled away a win vs. Minnesota, and they ended up the 4th best team in that league.

if Lance is inaccurate what is Morgan? Morgan has the lower completion percentage and 7 picks. When you look at arm strength and feet, there’s no question which one I’d take. And Morgan is a great QB. Lance has unlimited potential.
Put morgan on ndsu and he has great stats. Put any big ten qb on ndsu and they have great stats because ndsu is so much better then the rest of their bum conference. Trying to argue that trey lance is a better passer then tanner morgan is so stupid.

Morgan played vs much higher competition.

Tanner Morgan vs AP Top 25

63/93 67.7% Completion 1,008 yards 10.8 y/a 6 TD's 1 INT

Trey Lances # vs AP Top 25

N/A

I get it, you want to think NDSU is on par with the top P5 teams, you're not.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say no matter how good of a school MV is that there are students, many students, there that couldn’t get admitted to the “U”. Heck, class rank alone would keep some out.
Just curious what kept you out of college? Class rank, act or gpa? Maybe all the above

They should, frankly. Don't think they will.

Summit League doesn't care what they (or SDSU) do in football. If they gain national exposure, that's just all the better for non-football sports in the Summit.

What does the Summit have to do with football? The Summit league doesn't sponsor football.

Part of it is complacency. I think part of it may actually be that the Fargodome is kind of an awful place to watch a game. Imagine watching a football game in a warehouse. It's sort of dark and gloomy in my opinion.

And for some reason, even though it is technically off-campus (though right next door), they don't serve beer for Bison games. Yet they do for concerts and other events.

You can't make this comparison without including Jackson Erdmann at St. Johns. I believe his passing statistics compare pretty favorably to Lance.

Against FBS dude...good lord. Morgan was top 5 QB in all of FBS.

What about NDSU wonder 9-3 blowout of Illinois st? Lance lit it up there??? Every qb has an off game. When lance plays vs 12 FBS opponents and has Morgan numbers, then I'll believe. Until then, hes a runner playing qb with avg to below avg passing ability.

Just curious what kept you out of college? Class rank, act or gpa? Maybe all the above
Funny stuff.
Graduated with an engineering degree from the U of M. Dean’s list every quarter. Sorry to burst your image of me.

You can't make this comparison without including Jackson Erdmann at St. Johns. I believe his passing statistics compare pretty favorably to Lance.
Which word on the street is he will be in some NFL rookie and perhaps Training camp this year.

I would have taken SDSU's Gibbs over Morgan after that game but since then? Forget about it. I'd agree that Lance has potential but I didn't see Lance have to make any throws this season. That's not his fault but at the same time, there's no objective analysis that compares to Tanner Morgan's body of work. If we were talking service academies or Georgia tech, Lance has my vote. But we're talking about modern football and he name of the game is throwing the ball.
For a good look at the difference it takes to succeed between the Big 10 and MVFC, look no further than Chris Streveler. Streveler didn't see the field at the U of M, stuck behind pretty shoddy QB competition. He goes to USD and is all world (I-AA world).

Part of it is complacency. I think part of it may actually be that the Fargodome is kind of an awful place to watch a game. Imagine watching a football game in a warehouse. It's sort of dark and gloomy in my opinion.

And for some reason, even though it is technically off-campus (though right next door), they don't serve beer for Bison games. Yet they do for concerts and other events.

It's a dreary building standing alone but the game atmosphere has been electric over the last 10 years.

I would have taken SDSU's Gibbs over Morgan after that game but since then? Forget about it. I'd agree that Lance has potential but I didn't see Lance have to make any throws this season. That's not his fault but at the same time, there's no objective analysis that compares to Tanner Morgan's body of work. If we were talking service academies or Georgia tech, Lance has my vote. But we're talking about modern football and he name of the game is throwing the ball.
For a good look at the difference it takes to succeed between the Big 10 and MVFC, look no further than Chris Streveler. Streveler didn't see the field at the U of M, stuck behind pretty shoddy QB competition. He goes to USD and is all world (I-AA world).
Perfect summary.

Top Bottom