Drew Viotto enters transfer portal.

MASH reference - he was a character in the first season - Spearchucker Jones. He was the 4077’s QB.

Full disclosure - I’ve seen every episode at least once🤪

From Wikipedia -

Capt. Spearchucker Jones​

Captain Oliver Harmon"Spearchucker" Jones is a character who appears in the novel MASH (and its sequels), and was portrayed by Fred Williamson in the movie and Timothy Brown in the television series. In all iterations, the Spearchucker character is a superior surgeon who was also a stand-out collegiate athlete. "Spearchucker", a common racial slur, is said to refer in this case to his javelin-throwing prowess. Initially, he is transferred to the 4077th to help them win a football game (Jones is said to have played with the NFL's San Francisco 49ers) against the 321st Evac Hospital. In the novel, it is related that while a poorly paid resident, he had been scouted by the Philadelphia Eagles playing semi-professional football in New Jersey for extra cash, and had been signed by the Eagles, playing with them until he was drafted. Coincidentally, actor Timothy Brown played most of his nine-year NFL career with Philadelphia and was selected to the team's Hall of Fame in 1990.[69]

It is established in the novel that Jones is from Duke Forrest's hometown of Forest Park, Georgia, and knew Duke's father. Duke makes racist comments about Jones, causing Hawkeye and Trapper to punish Duke. In the sequel novels, particularly M*A*S*H Goes to Maine, Jones joins the other doctors in their practice in Spruce Harbor, Maine, becoming a highly successful doctor and prominent citizen.

The character's middle name was Harmon in the film and Wendell in the novels. He is a board-certifiedneurosurgeon in the film, and in Episode 1/04, "Chief Surgeon Who?" in which Hawkeye is named Chief Surgeon of the 4077th, Spearchucker's specialty is indicated as he struggles to do other types of surgery. When he asks Hawkeye for help, he says, "Anything outside the skull, I'm dead."

Spearchucker was shown during several episodes during the first season of the series. His full name was never mentioned in the series. He was one of the original Swampmen with Trapper, Hawkeye, and Frank Burns, and was the sole black surgeon at the 4077th. In the pilot episode, to raise funds for Ho-Jon's education, Trapper "jokingly" suggests selling Spearchucker. During his brief run on the show, it was implied that he and nurse Ginger Bayliss (played by Odessa Cleveland) were romantically involved.

Spearchucker's role was limited. It is implied he assisted Hawkeye and Trapper in their schemes on the sidelines. The producers decided to drop the character after the first few episodes, reasoning that they wouldn't be able to write enough meaningful episodes for Spearchucker if they were concentrating on Hawkeye and Trapper. Some accounts assert the producers were unable to find evidence for black Army surgeons in Korea; there were, however, several black surgeons who served in the US military at the time.[70]

I've seen them all also. Grew up on it, and watch reruns all the time. Great show.
Makes the Drew Viotto thread funner too.

So all along this was about a kid who just wanted to go home.

When will all you “sky is falling” morons get back on here and admit how dumb you are?

Reading through this thread is just hilarious. I’m not sure how most of you guys get through the day without wetting your pants. 😂
I did not think the sky was falling when Viotto left, but you have no idea if it was just a kid who "wanted to go home".

Maybe he wanted a better chance at early PT and when he was choosing the schools to give him that chance, he chose closer to home. Maybe the staff didn't think he was really a Big 10 quality QB, they told him so much, so when he was looking for options, picked an option closer to home.

Again, I am not a sky is falling person when depth players transfer out. They almost always transfer down and I figured Viotto would as well. But you don't know if this was just a kid who wanted to leave a Big 10 school to go closer to home, or if this was a kid who ended up closer to home when he left for another reason.

Hawkeye, after Trapper hands him a martini upon waking up in the morning:

“My kidneys were expecting orange juice. Silly kidneys.”

This actually emphasizes a key thing:

PJ Fleck has always - and I mean literally always - recruited MAC level quarterbacks over his head coaching career.

Morgan was a Western commit that he brought over.

AK could well land at a MAC location, he would do much better at that level.

A good landing spot but seems odd that he would would transfer before the bowl game that takes place in his home state where he would be one snap away from playing after AK left.
Maybe Shik had passed him on the depth chart?

A good landing spot but seems odd that he would would transfer before the bowl game that takes place in his home state where he would be one snap away from playing after AK left.
Would your heart be in it if you knew you didn't want to be a part of this team anymore? Besides that, if he gets hurt and won't be available for week 1, what are his options then, in terms of portal landing spots? Probably not good....

Would your heart be in it if you knew you didn't want to be a part of this team anymore? Besides that, if he gets hurt and won't be available for week 1, what are his options then, in terms of portal landing spots? Probably not good....
I'm sure he wanted to focus on finding a spot and school/grades before transferring at the end of the month.

Would your heart be in it if you knew you didn't want to be a part of this team anymore? Besides that, if he gets hurt and won't be available for week 1, what are his options then, in terms of portal landing spots?
I hear what you're saying, but what would happen if he does play and he balls out? Then he's got numerous more transfer options and more film from the extra bowl practices (that are geared towards underclassman). He'd keep his redshirt either way and then may have gotten to make his college debut 30 minutes away from where he went to high school with a lot of his family/friends likely around.

MASH reference - he was a character in the first season - Spearchucker Jones. He was the 4077’s QB.

From Wikipedia -

Captain Oliver Harmon"Spearchucker" Jones is a character who appears in the novel MASH (and its sequels), and was portrayed by Fred Williamson in the movie and Timothy Brown in the television series. In all iterations, the Spearchucker character is a superior surgeon who was also a stand-out collegiate athlete. "Spearchucker", a common racial slur, is said to refer in this case to his javelin-throwing prowess. Initially, he is transferred to the 4077th to help them win a football game (Jones is said to have played with the NFL's San Francisco 49ers) against the 321st Evac Hospital. In the novel, it is related that while a poorly paid resident, he had been scouted by the Philadelphia Eagles playing semi-professional football in New Jersey for extra cash, and had been signed by the Eagles, playing with them until he was drafted. Coincidentally, actor Timothy Brown played most of his nine-year NFL career with Philadelphia and was selected to the team's Hall of Fame in 1990.[69]

It is established in the novel that Jones is from Duke Forrest's hometown of Forest Park, Georgia, and knew Duke's father. Duke makes racist comments about Jones, causing Hawkeye and Trapper to punish Duke. In the sequel novels, particularly M*A*S*H Goes to Maine, Jones joins the other doctors in their practice in Spruce Harbor, Maine, becoming a highly successful doctor and prominent citizen.

The character's middle name was Harmon in the film and Wendell in the novels. He is a board-certifiedneurosurgeon in the film, and in Episode 1/04, "Chief Surgeon Who?" in which Hawkeye is named Chief Surgeon of the 4077th, Spearchucker's specialty is indicated as he struggles to do other types of surgery. When he asks Hawkeye for help, he says, "Anything outside the skull, I'm dead."

Spearchucker was shown during several episodes during the first season of the series. His full name was never mentioned in the series. He was one of the original Swampmen with Trapper, Hawkeye, and Frank Burns, and was the sole black surgeon at the 4077th. In the pilot episode, to raise funds for Ho-Jon's education, Trapper "jokingly" suggests selling Spearchucker. During his brief run on the show, it was implied that he and nurse Ginger Bayliss (played by Odessa Cleveland) were romantically involved.

Spearchucker's role was limited. It is implied he assisted Hawkeye and Trapper in their schemes on the sidelines. The producers decided to drop the character after the first few episodes, reasoning that they wouldn't be able to write enough meaningful episodes for Spearchucker if they were concentrating on Hawkeye and Trapper. Some accounts assert the producers were unable to find evidence for black Army surgeons in Korea; there were, however, several black surgeons who served in the US military at the time.[70]

As you point out, character played by two really good pro football players and handsome MFers, Fred Williamson and Timmy Brown.

Okay sorry - but where is he going? I must be really tired.

So all along this was about a kid who just wanted to go home.

When will all you “sky is falling” morons get back on here and admit how dumb you are?

Reading through this thread is just hilarious. I’m not sure how most of you guys get through the day without wetting your pants. 😂
Who says they don't?

From Wikipedia -

I've seen every episode too. Such a great show!

I hope that Viotto winds up in a place where he can contribute.

it does seem as if the Gopher staff has missed on more than one QB recruit. I'm not saying it's easy to evaluate young talent - and MN might not be the easiest school when it comes to recruiting QB's because of PJ's style. (and now NIL concerns...)

But the best QB during the Fleck era so far has been a flip from Western Michigan. the QB's who left MN have generally wound up at G5 schools or the FCS level.

Hopefully Lindsey breaks that trend.

I hope that Viotto winds up in a place where he can contribute.

it does seem as if the Gopher staff has missed on more than one QB recruit. I'm not saying it's easy to evaluate young talent - and MN might not be the easiest school when it comes to recruiting QB's because of PJ's style. (and now NIL concerns...)

But the best QB during the Fleck era so far has been a flip from Western Michigan. the QB's who left MN have generally wound up at G5 schools or the FCS level.

Hopefully Lindsey breaks that trend.
To be fair there are only about 70 P5 QBs per year and half of them are terrible

This actually emphasizes a key thing:

PJ Fleck has always - and I mean literally always - recruited MAC level quarterbacks over his head coaching career.

Morgan was a Western commit that he brought over.

AK could well land at a MAC location, he would do much better at that level.
I've actually had that thought and wondered who the highest rated quarterbacks have been that have come to The U out of high school. May do some research and find out.

I hear what you're saying, but what would happen if he does play and he balls out? Then he's got numerous more transfer options and more film from the extra bowl practices (that are geared towards underclassman). He'd keep his redshirt either way and then may have gotten to make his college debut 30 minutes away from where he went to high school with a lot of his family/friends likely around.
Maybe he was simply ready to get the hell out of Dodge as soon as possible?

Top Bottom