Doogie tweet on Sumlin

My search engine tells me Coach Sumlin is a .500 coach this year.

I guess not everybody can beat Mississippi State and Rice.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

(Snark)

Did your search engine also tell you that the team lost their heisman candidate starting quarterback early in the season.

(Snark)

I doubt Sumlin is coming for 1.5 mil per year. but even if he does after 2 good years he is either renegotiating his contract or looking elsewhere. Trying to avoid strong personalities and money issues has to where we are.

To me Sumlin's a perfect fall-back candidate. But I certainly hope we make a run at Bellotti, Richt, etc. before we settle for him.

Golden is my #1 choice with Belotti right behind him. After that, I will simply go with the choice. Sumlin would be fine. Leach would be fine. Watson (the Nebraska OC) would be fine.

As for Leach's character, who the heck knows? The shed thing doesn't bother me that much, but his lawsuit against Texas Tech was a boneheaded move if he really wants to be a head coach again. What AD is going to hire someone who sued his former boss?

If you watch college football you will see that a lot of spread teams use under center formation. Texas has been running plays under center, Boise State, there are countless teams.

According to the OU Sooners wiki site the 2006 team's (AP's final year) offensive philsophy was Multiple / Northwestern Spread.

So...you are both right. The used elements of the spread with AP there, but realized what a unique talent they had and used more "traditional" formations while he was there.

OU was predominantly a spread team before AP and they predominantly are after he left, but they did tailor their offense while he was there. Sumlin was named co-offensive coordinator prior to the 2006 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Oklahoma_Sooners_football_team

My search engine tells me Coach Sumlin is a .500 coach this year.

I guess not everybody can beat Mississippi State and Rice.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

(Snark)

Won on the road over then first-place SMU (have read some clamor for June Jones) this past weekend with True Freshmen starting at qb. No only did Houston lose Keenum this year, they also lost his back-up the same game. I think his ability to coach the rest of the year with the adviserity they have already faced, will be something to watch for.

So True!

If you watch college football you will see that a lot of spread teams use under center formation. Texas has been running plays under center, Boise State, there are countless teams.

But their are also teams that use the shotgun formation and that doesn't make them a spread team. People seem to confuse what offenses truly are, the spread offense gets thrown around way too much. People assume that you can't run out of the spread, what is Michigan? What is houston? What is Oregon? These are all variations of the spread but they can still run out of them. Just because Brewster wasn't able to run a great spread offense doesn't mean that it won't work here, by the way Weber was not a good QB for the type of spread they ran, they got it right with the recruitment of Gray but abandoned it.

To me Sumlin's a perfect fall-back candidate. But I certainly hope we make a run at Bellotti, Richt, etc. before we settle for him.

Richt is more likely to win the SEC east than be fired this year.

But their are also teams that use the shotgun formation and that doesn't make them a spread team. People seem to confuse what offenses truly are, the spread offense gets thrown around way too much. People assume that you can't run out of the spread, what is Michigan? What is houston? What is Oregon? These are all variations of the spread but they can still run out of them. Just because Brewster wasn't able to run a great spread offense doesn't mean that it won't work here, by the way Weber was not a good QB for the type of spread they ran, they got it right with the recruitment of Gray but abandoned it.

If you don't think Oklahoma around the year 2000 was running an offense that relied heavily on spread concepts, then you weren't watching the game. Obviously not every team that runs the shotgun is the spread. Almost every team in the country has at least a little shotgun in the playbook.

Richt is more likely to win the SEC east than be fired this year.

It's looking that way, isn't it? I'm not ready to cross him off the list yet. It could still go either way for him, starting this week with the Cocktail Party. Losses to UF and GT would certainly have his seat roasting.

According to the OU Sooners wiki site the 2006 team's (AP's final year) offensive philsophy was Multiple / Northwestern Spread.

So...you are both right. The used elements of the spread with AP there, but realized what a unique talent they had and used more "traditional" formations while he was there.

OU was predominantly a spread team before AP and they predominantly are after he left, but they did tailor their offense while he was there. Sumlin was named co-offensive coordinator prior to the 2006 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Oklahoma_Sooners_football_team
Which to me shows that Sumlin and the rest of the Oklahoma staff did a great job of adjusting his schemes to take advantage of their talent.

It's looking that way, isn't it? I'm not ready to cross him off the list yet. It could still go either way for him, starting this week with the Cocktail Party. Losses to UF and GT would certainly have his seat roasting.

To take something from the Brewster playbook, "Georgia is a couple of plays away from being a 1-loss team."
They will win at least 2 more games. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they ran the table (even with a game @Auburn on the schedule). They are an extremely young team that finally is putting it together. I have been told by a former all american at georgia that even if they finished under .500 this year, Richt would get another year. He is not truly on the hotseat until next year.

If you don't think Oklahoma around the year 2000 was running an offense that relied heavily on spread concepts, then you weren't watching the game. Obviously not every team that runs the shotgun is the spread. Almost every team in the country has at least a little shotgun in the playbook.

I thought I referenced Sumlins OC year as the example, I could care less about 2000. I do watch football and Adrian Peterson ran primarily out of the two back or single back formation during Sumlins year as OC. I'm not sure how the other years at OK came into play but OK. See what I did there;)
Actually what you said makes me feel even better because he has shown the ability to change based off of his personel. Good point!

To take something from the Brewster playbook, "Georgia is a couple of plays away from being a 1-loss team."
They will win at least 2 more games. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they ran the table (even with a game @Auburn on the schedule). They are an extremely young team that finally is putting it together. I have been told by a former all american at georgia that even if they finished under .500 this year, Richt would get another year. He is not truly on the hotseat until next year.

Tubby would have gotten another year at UK too. But he didn't want one because he was probably in a no-win situation (make the Final Four or you're fired). If UGA loses 2-3 more games, which is very possible, he may get another year, but be in a position where anything but a BCS-bowl gets him fired. Under those circumstances a nice 5-year $15 million maroon and gold parachute may look quite appealing as it did to Tubby.

I've had beers with Sumlin. He is a cool dude and he'll be able to recruit no problem. If he gets the job, I will change my user name to HadBeersWithSumlinAtFowlPlay.

Here's a question for you. If Brewster had taken over the same team as Sumlin, what would his record have been?

I've had beers with Sumlin. He is a cool dude and he'll be able to recruit no problem. If he gets the job, I will change my user name to HadBeersWithSumlinAtFowlPlay.

Will you also quote statistics about Sumlins win %, recruiting and all other matters Sumlin at the drop of a hat? We need someone like this. I think Friend of Sumlin would be a better moniker. :)

Won on the road over then first-place SMU (have read some clamor for June Jones) this past weekend with True Freshmen starting at qb. No only did Houston lose Keenum this year, they also lost his back-up the same game. I think his ability to coach the rest of the year with the adviserity they have already faced, will be something to watch for.

Food for thought. Every time Decker got hurt Brewster's teams went in the tank.

Tubby would have gotten another year at UK too. But he didn't want one because he was probably in a no-win situation (make the Final Four or you're fired). If UGA loses 2-3 more games, which is very possible, he may get another year, but be in a position where anything but a BCS-bowl gets him fired. Under those circumstances a nice 5-year $15 million maroon and gold parachute may look quite appealing as it did to Tubby.

I would love Richt, but I am telling you that the gophers are more likely to get Dungy than Richt.

Food for thought. Every time Decker got hurt Brewster's teams went in the tank.

That is why I think it will be paramount to watch how the rest of the season unfolds for Houston. If they can win Conference USA with a True Freshmen at qb who was expected to red-shirt, that is one heck of a coaching job. Houston is 2-2 since Keenum got hurt, not exactly in the tank yet but obviously not where they hoped they would be I am sure.

I have a baseball cap that Sumlin wore on the sidelines during his year as Gophers QB coach. I'd love to hand it to him at his opening press conference if he is hired here.

If we are going with a spread coach...lets not go half the way...go with the best...MIKE LEACH.

Anyone looking for a new head coach would have "interest" in Sumlin. No breaking news here. Interest is different than the most interest. Wake me when they actually pare down the list.

he is not a spread coach only, remember he was also Adrian Peterson's offensive coordinator at oklahoma and took over at Houston where a version of the spread offense was already in place.

Sumlin was co-offensive coordinator at Oklahoma in the same way that Hammock was the co-offensive coordinator before Brewster was hired.

That is why I think it will be paramount to watch how the rest of the season unfolds for Houston. If they can win Conference USA with a True Freshmen at qb who was expected to red-shirt, that is one heck of a coaching job. Houston is 2-2 since Keenum got hurt, not exactly in the tank yet but obviously not where they hoped they would be I am sure.

It wouldn't have anything to do with coaching. It would just be a testament to how fungible quarterbacks are in the Air Raid.

The Gophers would be lucky to bring in an up and coming coach like Sumlin.

He has put in good work at every level, has the pedigree, recruiting talent and experience with the Big Ten that would serve the program well.

Would Leach be a big hire? Sure. But you also might have to fire him in two years when he gets caught slapping a kid at practice. Leach would be a great get for the Gophers, but how long would he stay here? I think he would stay here for a couple of years, fix his reputation, and then run back down south again.

In Sumlin, you have a chance with a guy who wants to build a program and continue the work that Mason did. It would be a great hire.

Leach would equal

a Bill Musselman hire. Bill lit a fire into the bb program immediately! Hire Leach and let him know that we will not tolerate and shannigans. but keep up his "pirate" attitude, etc...

Apparently Book doesn't remember the more than 100 NCAA violations that Musselman and his staff committed during his four years at the University. He also allegedly slapped a kid during practice. I don't think any coach would want to be compared to that tenure.

Musselman

The positives of the Musselman era overwhelmingly outweighed the negatives for me. The Ohio State incident was the one we couldn't recover from.

Top Bottom