Doogie tweet on Sumlin

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Doogie: "The latest #Gophers buzz: hearing that Bruininks/Maturi/Mona (don't underestimate his influence) have interest in Houston's Kevin Sumlin."

Go Gophers!!

The fact that Mona has any communication with the people making the hire is kind of embarrassing. But at least it isn't sid. Sumlin is in my top 3. I think he would be very solid but he is young so it is a risk. Everyone is a risk.

He would not excite the general population as much as much as a Leach or Belotti (who are the other 2 in my top 3) and wouldn't sell as many tickets. If the gophers hired Leach, they could pretty much assure themselves of sellouts in his first year. With Sumlin, they'd have to win games first.

Cue: The spread can't work whiners

The spread is a great offense that was never even given a chance at MN. Don't let Brewster abandoning it in year 2 fool you into thinking it is a bad offense. I don't necessarily want a coach who runs the spread. But I do want a good coach. The fact is there are a lot better/more candidates who run the spread than those who don't at the present time.

The fact that Mona has any communication with the people making the hire is kind of embarrassing. But at least it isn't sid. Sumlin is in my top 3. I think he would be very solid but he is young so it is a risk. Everyone is a risk.

He would not excite the general population as much as much as a Leach or Belotti (who are the other 2 in my top 3) and wouldn't sell as many tickets. If the gophers hired Leach, they could pretty much assure themselves of sellouts in his first year. With Sumlin, they'd have to win games first.

The spread is a great offense that was never even given a chance at MN. Don't let Brewster abandoning it in year 2 fool you into thinking it is a bad offense.

If your going to hire a air-raid offense coach go with the coach who is the best at running it. That coach is Leach

If your going to hire a air-raid offense coach go with the coach who is the best at running it. That coach is Leach

From an X's and O's and on-field Resume it is. But Sumlin is also a great offensive coach. He also hasn't been accused of locking players in a shed. He also isn't a known loose cannon mouth. He also has more experience in the Big Ten than Leach does.

Leach is my number 1 choice, but Sumlin may end up being a more realistic candidate. I think both would have a chance to be successful if hired.

The spread is a great offense that was never even given a chance at MN. Don't let Brewster abandoning it in year 2 fool you into thinking it is a bad offense. I don't necessarily want a coach who runs the spread. But I do want a good coach. The fact is there are a lot better/more candidates who run the spread than those who don't at the present time.

Sumlin has to be the odds on favorite right now.
Ties here over 2 staffs, Purdue Alum.
Proven success as a HC against BCS opponents with less talent.
Recruited well, #1 O in the country last year.
Wife's family is here, assistant head coach is from here, I think Dungy would approve, by all accounts a very high class guy.

The whoever the coach is will sell tickets when he wins. If short term bump in ticket sales is a factor in determining who the next coach will be then I'm afraid we will be looking for a coach in 2015.

I'm not really too pumped about Kevin Sumlin. It has nothing to do with the offense or anything like that, I just wish we had a larger sample of how he coaches. I think we are still a point where it is hard to determine how much of Kevin Sumlin's success is based on Art Briles and how much of it he built himself.

Underwhelming for me.

This response is exactly why he might not be hired. He wouldn't be seen as a great get by the prosports media, the casual fan, the antispread crowd, the crowd that wants a proven BCS winner, and various others. If you hire Leach, the majority of people would instantly think it is at worst a solid hire. You hire a guy like Sumlin who is still a relative unknown, you will get a more mixed reaction, or worse, a "meh" reaction. I personally think they are looking to hire a guy who will instantly re-sellout the stadium. While I would be happy with Sumlin and think he is a great coach, there is enough people that would be underwhelmed by it that i think the Athletics Dept may go in a different direction in an effort to generate more excitement (Ticket Sales).

The whoever the coach is will sell tickets when he wins. If short term bump in ticket sales is a factor in determining who the next coach will be then I'm afraid we will be looking for a coach in 2015.

Who the coach will be is not my department, nor will I make any suggestions. I can only hope that in 2015 I am still well enough to drink beer and cheer for the Gophers. (And keep my job in the WalMart parking lots.)

That may be so, but the goal of Maturi is to finance the athletics dept via football. They NEED the stadium to be sold out. It is probably not THE factor, but I imagine it is most definitely part of the equation.

That may be so, but the goal of Maturi is to finance the athletics dept via football. They NEED the stadium to be sold out. It is probably not THE factor, but I imagine it is most definitely part of the equation.

I think a lot of people are overlooking how important this factor is, as well as how much it potentially narrows down the list of candidates.

I'd be fine with Sumlin. Think he's a good young coach on the rise. I think the likelihood we end up with someone of his caliber, and not someone of Leach's caliber, is decent.

I'd be fine with Sumlin. Think he's a good young coach on the rise. I think the likelihood we end up with someone of his caliber, and not someone of Leach's caliber, is decent.

I would not hate Sumlin, lets put it that way. I just think he is an off-brand Leach.

Think about it. Both coaches coach(ed) in the state of Texas with non-big name Texas schools. Both found talent where they needed it and run almost the exact same offense.

I realize one game doesn't amount to much, but Sumlin beat a Leach led Tech team last year. If the U could attract a young coach who turned down interview requests from Tennessee, Cinncinnati, Texas Tech among other's this past offseason, it would be a huge get imo. He was aslo among the early names mentioned for the Florida position when it was thought Urban Meyer was retiring. It is time we be realistic about where we are as a program. This would be a big hire.

I would not hate Sumlin, lets put it that way. I just think he is an off-brand Leach.

Think about it. Both coaches coach(ed) in the state of Texas with non-big name Texas schools. Both found talent where they needed it and run almost the exact same offense.

One has character issues associated with their name and one doesn't.

Sumlin is a cheaper and less controversial version of Mike Leach.

Problem is...we know Leach can win in a big time conference against the big boys...can Sumlin...not enough evidence.

If you are going to hire a spread coach...why not hire the guy that perfected it and ran a team to a top 10 ranking with it?

HIRE MIKE LEACH!

I understand the need to maximize revenue. Isn't it better though to hire the best coach regardless of short term impact? As soon as this coach starts winning (as little as getting back to average Mason levels) the stadium will be filled. I want the U to hire the coach that will have us talking about expanding the stadium seating capacity if 4-7 years, not the coach who will put a couple extra butts in the seats in 2012.

If the U can't absorb that short term loss of revenue (not likely major to the over all athletic department) then they have major problems. Don't forget that during this time they will also see an up tick of TV revenue from increased viewer ship from the BigTen Network and money from the Conference Championship game. There is a reason that 5-8 of the top 20 revenue generating teams in college basketball ( I know it isn't football) all reside in the BigTen.

Sumlin was the #1 coach on my list of realistic candidates.

Leach is good and more proven but the U can't overlook possible character issues. With the program in the state that it's in, there's no room for strife between the coach and AD.

Unfiortunately, Leach is probably blackballed from the BSC schools between the shed incident and the law suit against TT.

Sumlin is a good, young, motivated coach who would almost certainly be extatic to be coaching a Big 10, BSC team. He has HC experience and a Texas conection. Also no baggage and probably wuill come at a cheaper price, which is a factor.

Not saying Leach wouldn't be fired up about coaching here but I think Sumlin is the right guy.

Sumlin is 1-0 v Leach, not that it really matters

If hired he's going to have time to pump up the PR, make the rounds locally pumping up the fanbase, then watch the team put up 500 yards in the spring game and tell me that won't sell tickets. Heck if he just announces Gray is our QB going into the summer I think that sells tickets, especially with an NFL lockout.

Perfect storm for either him or Leach is that our D is going to come of age next year, they will be better no doubt, and add in Beal we will have a very solid D to go along with what will be a very strange and dangerous O in the Big Ten.

Compared to the Trestman rumors a couple of days ago, I would be fine with this hire. Although Bellotti is still my #1 choice and I am gaining interest in Leach.

Not even in my top 5 for who I would like but better than Trestman. We can do better.

Problem is...we know Leach can win in a big time conference against the big boys...can Sumlin...not enough evidence.

If you are going to hire a spread coach...why not hire the guy that perfected it and ran a team to a top 10 ranking with it?

HIRE MIKE LEACH!

Sumlin's team won on the road against the #5 team in the country last year against a Big 12 opponent and guided the Cougars to a #13 ranking.

What if Leach does prove to a character problem here, can the U football program afford that?

Let's see how the season finishes out. He had a rocky start....but not sure if that was from injuries or not.

How is his recruiting?

They were god the 2 years before he got there too....not a long enough track rcord for me. vs. Harbaugh who has built it up from not very good...and has more impressive wins.

GM

I think Sumlin would be the type that, if successful, would never answer the phone from another school.

Marcus Fuller tweets:

"Lots of love being thrown Kevin Sumlin's way all of a sudden. Not surprised since he is the only top candidate out there with ties to U."

"Parker Search firm in Atlanta helped Houston hire its athletic director, so they surely have a direct line to Sumlin. Should be interesting."

"Sumlin would have a staff with ties to MN as well. Houston assist head coach Tony Levine is from St. Paul and he's a former Gophers player."

"Don't know this as a fact. But what if Sumlin brought Gordy Shaw back to coach offensive line? They worked together under Wacker and Mason."

Go Gophers!!

Let's see how the season finishes out. He had a rocky start....but not sure if that was from injuries or not.

How is his recruiting?

They were god the 2 years before he got there too....not a long enough track rcord for me. vs. Harbaugh who has built it up from not very good...and has more impressive wins.

GM

He outrecruited us last year according to Rivals and Scout.

HIRE MIKE LEACH!

Sumlin is 1-0 v Leach, not that it really matters

If hired he's going to have time to pump up the PR, make the rounds locally pumping up the fanbase, then watch the team put up 500 yards in the spring game and tell me that won't sell tickets. Heck if he just announces Gray is our QB going into the summer I think that sells tickets, especially with an NFL lockout.

Perfect storm for either him or Leach is that our D is going to come of age next year, they will be better no doubt, and add in Beal we will have a very solid D to go along with what will be a very strange and dangerous O in the Big Ten.

Houston has averaged over 100% attendence capacity at home this year. This may not seem very important, but do a google search on attendence figure before Sumlin came. This number was well under 70%. Selling a program does not appear that it would be a challenge for him.

Top Bottom