Doogie tweet on Sumlin

Next Friday November 5th @ 7pm on ESPN2, Houston vs Central Florida. Set the DVR

He outrecruited us last year according to Rivals and Scout.

He's also sitting in Texas. Can he recruit as well to Minnesota? Maybe ... but I wish he had more of a track record to look at.

Sumlin is the kind of coach I would've expected us to target. I might have been fine with him three weeks ago. Then, Maturi told us they were going after a "Tubby-type hire," a home run. If Sumlin is hired, it will either be because others turned us down or Maturi openly lied to us.

Sumlin: we could do a little bit better than him, but we could do a whole hell of a lot worse too.

Most important question regarding Sumlins possible hiring would be who is he bringing in to coach the defense. I'm sick of crappy defense and it doesn't seem that he has a capable d-coord. in Houston.

I like an exciting fast paced spread IF IF IF IF they also bring real DEFENSE. With no D, the spread will only be a moderately winning formula in B10, history has shown this.

I read on another board that Texas A&M would go after him if they make a change.

I realize one game doesn't amount to much, but Sumlin beat a Leach led Tech team last year. If the U could attract a young coach who turned down interview requests from Tennessee, Cinncinnati, Texas Tech among other's this past offseason, it would be a huge get imo. He was aslo among the early names mentioned for the Florida position when it was thought Urban Meyer was retiring. It is time we be realistic about where we are as a program. This would be a big hire.

Exactly. Other schools with better programs were intersted in him, so if the Gophers get him I would say it's a good hire as well.

IMO, if fits perfectly with our program.

I think we need a young coach who could be her longterm, has no baggage, has positive HC experience, and I think the spread offense he runs will be a lot of fun at The Bank.

Sure there are questions about if he can comepete in a BCS conf, but I think he'll do fine.

He has beaten 3 ranked teams in 2 seasons as HC including a win over TT and #5 oklahoma st.

It's safe to say that he's getting more out of less at Houston. You give him a BSC program and he should get more talent to work with as well. If he can make Huston a Top 25 team he should be able to do at least that with the Gophers.

Another tweet from Marcus:

"I heard Maturi and other Gophers admins involved in search might be in Atlanta meeting with Parker today narrowing that list down."

Go Gophers!!

I like an exciting fast paced spread IF IF IF IF they also bring real DEFENSE. With no D, the spread will only be a moderately winning formula in B10, history has shown this.
Because with No D the power running game of Mason and now Brewster/Horton/Fisch has been a formula for more than moderate success.
You have to be good in all phases of the game to be a contender in any conference.

Its no secret who I want, but I would be OK with this.

The question is, Does Leach's infinately more impressive resume trump Sumlin's MN ties and lack of character controversy? I think so.

Most important question regarding Sumlins possible hiring would be who is he bringing in to coach the defense. I'm sick of crappy defense and it doesn't seem that he has a capable d-coord. in Houston.

Here is the DC Bio:

Brian Stewart begins his first season as the defensive coordinator at the University of Houston in 2010. As the leader of the Cougars' new 3-4 defense, Stewart will work closely with the safeties.

Stewart came to Houston after spending the 2009 season as a defensive special assistant with the Philadelphia Eagles, where he coached the NFL's top cornerback interception tandem of Asante Samuel (9) and Sheldon Brown (5). Samuel led the NFL in interceptions in 2009 and was named to the 2010 Pro Bowl.

Stewart joined the Eagles after a two-year stint as the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys. During his two years in Dallas, he guided the Cowboys to two top-10 rankings in yards allowed.

In 2008, the Cowboys led the league with 59 sacks and ranked third in that category in 2007 (46). In 2007, an NFL-best five Cowboys defenders (DeMarcus Ware, Roy Williams, Greg Ellis, Ken Hamlin and Terence Newman) earned Pro Bowl selections.

From 2004-06, Stewart served as the secondary coach with the San Diego Chargers, where he coached former Cougar standout Hanik Milligan. During his final season in San Diego, the Chargers ranked first in sacks (61) and seventh in scoring defense (18.9 points allowed per game). In 2006, Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer set a career high with four interceptions.

That season, the Chargers also registered a 14-2 record and won the AFC West Division crown for the second time in a three-year stretch and finished seventh in the league allowing only 18.9 points per game.

Stewart began his NFL coaching career as an assistant defensive backs coach with the Houston Texans (2002-03). He also worked at training camps with both Seattle and Washington as part of the league's Minority Coaching Fellowship Program.

Before joining the NFL, Stewart spent the 2001 season as the defensive backs coach at Syracuse, where he helped lead the Orange to a 10-3 overall record and the second most turnovers forced in the Big East. The Orange also finished the season ranked at No. 14.

As an assistant at Missouri, from 1999-2000, he mentored two-time All-Big 12 free safety Julian Jones, who led the conference in 1999 with six interceptions.

Stewart coached defensive backs for San Jose State University from 1997-98. During his tenure there, his unit tied for seventh nationally with 20 interceptions, while the Spartans' pass defense ranked 37th nationally, its highest finish in the 1990s.

In 1996 he served as a defensive graduate assistant at Missouri. Stewart also coached tight ends and special teams at Northern Arizona University in 1995.

He began his collegiate coaching career as an offensive assistant at Cal Poly, working with the wide receivers in 1993 and running backs in 1994. Stewart was a key part of the staff that helped lead the team to the American West Conference championship.

A former college cornerback and free safety with Northern Arizona and Santa Monica City College, Stewart earned his bachelor's degree in criminal justice from Northern Arizona in 1995.

He attended Nogales High School in La Puente, Calif., and annually conducts a free, one-day football camp for kids 7-19 in his hometown and hosts ASR - a sports retreat for minority coaches and administrators.

Sumlin's team won on the road against the #5 team in the country last year against a Big 12 opponent and guided the Cougars to a #13 ranking.

What if Leach does prove to a character problem here, can the U football program afford that?

Sumlin didn't recruit the team that did this...although he gets credit for coaching them.

Regarding character issues...other than his arrogant attitude and the one incident with the shed...what other character issues are you referring too?

Leach has no NCAA violations or warnings...highest graduation rate and gpa in the Big 12 and one of the best among all BCS schools and has won everywhere he has been a coordinator or coach.

TT fired him over money and a power struggle...and frankly then black balled him because he fought and sued.

History shows Leach to be a heck of a good football coach with a big ego...not mutually exclusive or unusual.

Sumlin would be a fine choice

he is not a spread coach only, remember he was also Adrian Peterson's offensive coordinator at oklahoma and took over at Houston where a version of the spread offense was already in place. Also I'm guessing Dungy would not complain about the hiring of an African-American coach since he has been very outspoken about the lack of black coaches in the NCAA.

he is not a spread coach only, remember he was also Adrian Peterson's offensive coordinator at oklahoma and took over at Houston where a version of the spread offense was already in place. Also I'm guessing Dungy would not complain about the hiring of an African-American coach since he has been very outspoken about the lack of black coaches in the NCAA.

Well...you would be the one that could tell us. Is this real, or a bad rumor?

Its no secret who I want, but I would be OK with this.

The question is, Does Leach's infinately more impressive resume trump Sumlin's MN ties and lack of character controversy? I think so.

I would say, YES.

add to that, that Sumlin has potential. ADs love it when they think they've found a diamond in the rough, so it makes them look like a genius if it works out. Certainly didn't work out right with Brewster. Sumlin clearly has a much better resume than Brewster did, so I think the risk for a "bust" is much lower.

If Leach didn't have the questions about his character, he'd almost for sure have to be #1 on the list.

Sumlin and Leach are similar in offensive terms and I think Sumlin is heading toward the same or better level of success as Leach as well.

Realistically, both would be great hires based on talent alone.

I'm really not behind the Leach hiring that much just for the character problems but he's got good coaching skills.

If we get one of these two I think we're fine.

We have a young talented coach on one hand and a more proven talented coach on the other. Both are possible busts for different reasons: Leach due to character, Sumlin just because he's not proven on the BCS level yet.

Exactly. Other schools with better programs were intersted in him, so if the Gophers get him I would say it's a good hire as well.

IMO, if fits perfectly with our program.

I think we need a young coach who could be her longterm, has no baggage, has positive HC experience, and I think the spread offense he runs will be a lot of fun at The Bank.

Sure there are questions about if he can comepete in a BCS conf, but I think he'll do fine.

He has beaten 3 ranked teams in 2 seasons as HC including a win over TT and #5 oklahoma st.

It's safe to say that he's getting more out of less at Houston. You give him a BSC program and he should get more talent to work with as well. If he can make Huston a Top 25 team he should be able to do at least that with the Gophers.

This.
He might not be the top candidate, but he might be the right one.
He'd also be the only African American head coach in the Big Ten, that would be a plus for recruiting, it just would.
He'll still get Texas kids to come here, Brewster did, he can.
In fact, I bet he's had top kids turn him down simply because it's a C-USA team, he comes here he can sell playing Nebraska, OSU, Michigan, and next year right away USC.
Look, I'm not saying he's a guaranteed A plus, but there's plenty of reasons to think he'd get it done here.

Sumlin didn't recruit the team that did this...although he gets credit for coaching them.

Regarding character issues...other than his arrogant attitude and the one incident with the shed...what other character issues are you referring too?

Leach has no NCAA violations or warnings...highest graduation rate and gpa in the Big 12 and one of the best among all BCS schools and has won everywhere he has been a coordinator or coach.

TT fired him over money and a power struggle...and frankly then black balled him because he fought and sued.

History shows Leach to be a heck of a good football coach with a big ego...not mutually exclusive or unusual.

I would call the shed incident a character issue. I would also call his fighting with the AD/President and filling a law suit a character issue.

It may not make him a bad or immoral person but from the hiring AD's PoV these are big concerns.

dpdoll

youtube is great, I pulled up two highlight videos of Petersons TD runs at OK and 13 of the 15 I watched were out of the I formation or the single back set. Neither of those are considered spread offenses.

This.
He might not be the top candidate, but he might be the right one.
He'd also be the only African American head coach in the Big Ten, that would be a plus for recruiting, it just would.
He'll still get Texas kids to come here, Brewster did, he can.
In fact, I bet he's had top kids turn him down simply because it's a C-USA team, he comes here he can sell playing Nebraska, OSU, Michigan, and next year right away USC.
Look, I'm not saying he's a guaranteed A plus, but there's plenty of reasons to think he'd get it done here.

No, he's not a lock to be a top notch coach but he's shown that he could be.

People should not dismiss the African American aspect here. It could be an advantage in certain situations when recruiting. Also, as Ole mentioned, Dungy is prbably going to be pushing for a qualified, African American coach and Sumlin clearly fits that.

IMO, Sumlin is just going to be the "perfect storm" from a AD's hiring perspective.

I think that if Sumlin wants the job he'll be coaching her next season. (Of course unless some of these unrealistic candidates become realistic.)

I would call the shed incident a character issue. I would also call his fighting with the AD/President and filling a law suit a character issue.

It may not make him a bad or immoral person but from the hiring AD's PoV these are big concerns.
If the alleged incident is true as it was presented on ESPN, then yes it'd be a character issue. Filing a lawsuit against a University for wrongful termination if they wrongfully terminated you is not a character issue. If he won the suit, if anything it would be a character knock on the Tech administration.

youtube is great, I pulled up two highlight videos of Petersons TD runs at OK and 13 of the 15 I watched were out of the I formation or the single back set. Neither of those are considered spread offenses.

If you watch college football you will see that a lot of spread teams use under center formation. Texas has been running plays under center, Boise State, there are countless teams.

If the alleged incident is true as it was presented on ESPN, then yes it'd be a character issue. Filing a lawsuit against a University for wrongful termination if they wrongfully terminated you is not a character issue. If he won the suit, if anything it would be a character knock on the Tech administration.

As I said above:

He may not have real life character issues but if you are an AD looking to hire a coach, these two incidents ARE character issues within the scope of the business of College Football. No matter what really happend in that shed or in the lawsuit there will be a perception of what Leach is or isn't.

I think we all would agree that it should be the ability to "coach up" players that should be at the forefront of who the next Gopher coach is. Brewster IMO showed much to be desired in this department. So if the arguement is that Sumlin has won with Briles recruits, I think the evidence is pretty strong in his abilty to get the most out of his talent. No one could argue that Sumlin's recruiting classes have been far superior on paper than Briles were previously. Last year's class was ranked #45 by Rivals for a Conference USA team (not that I put much stock in it rankings but this was higer than Brewster's class and several other BCS programs) so if he can recruit at a higher level than the instutuion has normally attracted and can "coach up" those recruits, that seems like someone the U is in dire need of.

I am not con Leach as much as I am pro Sumlin. For where this program is, and the direction it needs to go, I think Sumlin is the guy.

Money and a power stuggle issues are not ones the U is equipped to handle.

Money and a power stuggle issues are not ones the U is equipped to handle.

They better be equipped to handle these issues. If you hire a Leach those issues are there now, if you hire a Sumlin those issues will arrive if he is successful.

They better be equipped to handle these issues. If you hire a Leach those issues are there now, if you hire a Sumlin those issues will arrive if he is successful.

This is true, in College football money is going to be a problem now or in the future. Of course if you pay Leach a ton and he turns out to be a bust, you lost a lot of money for nothing. If you pay Sumlin a less contract now and he is a bust you lose a heck of a lot less. OTOH, if Sumlin does well, he could become very expensive in a few years.

"If you hire a Leach those issues are there now"

The current regime of Bruininks and Maturi wouldn't seem to want to start the next coaching tenure with these issues. Maturi mentioned in his news conference the possibility of offering the next coach a 5+ year contract. Offering Sumlin 5 years at $1.5+ seems to put those issues to rest for awhile. If they are successful and they come up, good problem to have.

My search engine tells me Coach Sumlin is a .500 coach this year.

I guess not everybody can beat Mississippi State and Rice.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

(Snark)

Top Bottom