Doogie: "Ben Johnson is in zero trouble. I've had people ask me, zero trouble. We can have a different conversation one year from now..."

Again, I don’t care! All the big time D1 NCAA is a joke it’s not about school anymore and hasn’t been for decades.
The U was holier than though and it killed their basketball program years ago.
From what I've read, the championship glory days of the football program were like that, too. How many years ago was that? There's nothing new under the sun. The saying, "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" is not a new saying. Bud Grant still jokes about barely staying eligible by shady means.

There's no such thing as "improperly poached with NIL money" because there's no enforcement. It's the wild west and anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.
Enforced or not, there's still proper and improper, legal and illegal, and I'm curious to know what happened here. At the very least, it affects whether I can respect this kid going forward.

Enforced or not, there's still proper and improper, legal and illegal, and I'm curious to know what happened here. At the very least, it affects whether I can respect this kid going forward.
I'm sure your respect matters the world to him. This is a business. Nothing more.

Evans and Henley leaving could be the answer to Ben dramatically improving next year.
It almost forces him to get two good guards in the portal and make the team better NOW! Not some 5 year plan with freshmen.
Why would Henley leave? He chose to come here before Evans committed. He's got a great opportunity right here. Henley is not who we need to get rid of. Go get two portal guards that can beat him out of playing time. I'm good with that.

Why would Henley leave? He chose to come here before Evans committed. He's got a great opportunity right here. Henley is not who we need to get rid of. Go get two portal guards that can beat him out of playing time. I'm good with that.
But Henley's mom said some things on social media. He has to be gone.

I love the portal talk, as if it's a foregone conclusion that "all we need" can be obtained in the portal. I suppose it's true, but portal life from the bottom of the league is probably a lot harder than recruiting freshmen. It also doesn't fit his style of building culture through high school recruiting. Getting cultural fits through the portal is hard enough in normal circumstances. Feels almost impossible starting in disaster.

But Henley's mom said some things on social media. He has to be gone.

I love the portal talk, as if it's a foregone conclusion that "all we need" can be obtained in the portal. I suppose it's true, but portal life from the bottom of the league is probably a lot harder than recruiting freshmen. It also doesn't fit his style of building culture through high school recruiting. Getting cultural fits through the portal is hard enough in normal circumstances. Feels almost impossible starting in disaster.
Oh, I'm not saying that Ben is going to be able to do it- I'm just saying that he HAS TO if he wants to keep coaching here. He's already in the same position Monson was in after the Hump year. Can he find the Vince Grier out there to save himself? We'll see. The other long shot is that Christie has an all world freshman year and our current guards make drastic improvement.

I'm not suggesting Henley should leave. I'm only acknowledging the many who say he is gone.
Everybody is clinging to the freshmen as the hope Ben can dig out of the hole he created.
What if another freshmen besides Evans and Henley leave? Is that the signal of the end?
What if Garcia, Battle, or Cooper leave? I'd say the current roster needs to stay or Ben is in trouble....but that's pretty funny....look at the womens' side. Ben likely has a couple years to continue to flounder. Be nice if he fixed it...kept what he has...adds some veteran guards who can
score. Keep the guys who are here and add 30 points per game out of the portal we'd be competitive. Not that hard really. Will it happen?

Top Bottom