Doogie: "Ben Johnson is in zero trouble. I've had people ask me, zero trouble. We can have a different conversation one year from now..."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie says that Ben Johnson is in "zero trouble", and with "everyone expected back, with Christie and Evans coming in, you would hope the Gophers can make a pretty significant climb next season. When I say significant, they finish 14th in the conference this year, they can get up as 8th, 9th, maybe as high as 7th...I do think the Gophers have a chance to be relatively OK which is a significant jump from where they've been the last two years."

Go Gophers!!

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie says that Ben Johnson is in "zero trouble", and with "everyone expected back, with Christie and Evans coming in, you would hope the Gophers can make a pretty significant climb next season. When I say significant, they finish 14th in the conference this year, they can get up as 8th, 9th, maybe as high as 7th...I do think the Gophers have a chance to be relatively OK which is a significant jump from where they've been the last two years."

Go Gophers!!
Great insight Doogie. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Doogie is not a complete idiot. He has some idea of what's going on.

but like any reporter or commentator, he is only as good as his sources. and when it comes to sources, the #1 rule is this: when someone is claiming to give you inside information, you have to assume they have an agenda. they want that information out for a reason, and you have to try and figure out the reason in order to determine the validity of the information.

having said that, I get the feeling that he is better-connected to sources for the Pro teams than he is for the Gophers.

but like any reporter or commentator, he is only as good as his sources. and when it comes to sources, the #1 rule is this: when someone is claiming to give you inside information, you have to assume they have an agenda. they want that information out for a reason, and you have to try and figure out the reason in order to determine the validity of the information.

having said that, I get the feeling that he is better-connected to sources for the Pro teams than he is for the Gophers.
But in this case, you don’t even need a source to write the story.

The fact that people are even asking before year 2 is complete, is the story. I doubt he is referencing gopher hole as his source of those asking. Also, if you are asking Doogie about the state of Gophers basketball, you probably don't pay attention to Gophers basketball anyway. So maybe it just is people looking at the 1-15 conference record and wondering if there is a coaching change on the horizon. Go Gophers!

He’s got some good sources at the U too. It was widely thought that Ben was his source when he was an assistant. Doogie has known Thorson for years and is in with the AAU guys. As much guff as he gets, he’s pretty connected here.

Doogie is a blabbering blowhard but Ben's hiring was his biggest an maybe only scoop.

And by this time next year, the administration will have wasted another year of the lives of the few Gopher basketball fans that remain.

Try this on for size, and just let it sink in...

Fans are hoping, praying that this new coach and staff can return the Gophers in their 3rd Year to the level that the last staff had achieved in their final year (6 B1G wins, 14 wins overall), the year that caused them to get shitcanned and shown the door.

Isn't that incredible?

Fans are hoping, praying that this new coach and staff can return the Gophers in their 3rd Year to the level that the last staff had achieved in their final year (6 B1G wins, 14 wins overall), the year that caused them to get shitcanned and shown the door.

Isn't that incredible?
That is the most heartbreaking analysis yet. And very true. Hitting rock bottom shifts the window of what improvement looks like. On Day One, we were hoping/expecting real competitive basketball in year 3. That expectation has cratered to not being completely awful. That’s grim.

Isn't that incredible?
Spot on. The ONE ray of sunlight is the hope that two consecutive solid recruiting classes will develop and stay the course while Ben adds a key piece in the portal to take us off of this otherwise dismal path.

Isn't that incredible?

That is pretty incredible.

Is it even more incredible that Ben hasn't totaled the number of B1G wins in 2 seasons combined, that the last staff achieved in their final season before getting fired?

And by this time next year, the administration will have wasted another year of the lives of the few Gopher basketball fans that remain.
First COVID lockdowns and now this?

How have you found the strength to go onand maintain your winsome personality!

Please share with us mere mortals your “secret sauce.”

Last edited:

Ben will most likely be fired by 4/1/25. But closer to that day than this one, I'm afraid.

Isn't that incredible?

Not incredible at all. Pitino was in his 8th year. Johnson will be in his 3rd year and had more difficult circumstances than Pitino had in his first two years. However, Johnson should have better circumstances than Pitino had in his third year. If he has only 14 wins next year, Coyle will have a tough choice to make.

"...I do think the Gophers have a chance to be relatively OK which is a significant jump from where they've been the last two years."

Go Gophers!!

After the first two years, I guess I would be satisfied with "relatively OK" next season but the meaning of that term would differ among fans.

He did not write a story. Question was asked by a host. Question was answered by Doogie.
Are you saying you don’t think doogie and the podcasts hes on prep their content? Just off the cuff?

Top Bottom