Donovahn Jones a GOPHER!!!

We could always ban hockey in the state, though that might upset the 38 people currently on the Hockey Forum.:rolleyes:

That was comment was just so anti-Minnesota. Are you a troll?

Interesting that this is the second commit from a guy who has come here because we are the only school telling him he can play the position he wants to. Will be very curious to see how these players respond if/when the time comes and they are forced to switch to the position that everyone else is telling them they will have to play.

I understand fans getting excited about any commitment but some of the comments in this thread have him coming in and competing for the starting spot next year when we appear to be the only team even willing to consider letting him try to play QB.

I think some of them can't handle it, but in the end, I think most of players transition well. They want to get on the field. We saw this with Rashede Hageman who liked the idea of us allowing him to play a TE but he made the move to DT gracefully. Stoud's transition from WR to CB wasn't as graceful. But I think most of the guys just want a REAL chance and then most of the guys are open.

Hockey following is so loyal, there's even a completely different message board completely hockey related. Are you suggesting that there is no fan support/abundance of talent of hockey players in Minnesota?

Sorry to derail the thread. Welcome aboard, Donovahn!

Stop talking about hockey. Hockey sucks and it's for dumb people. That's science, that's not even me. You are completely ruining NSD.

I think some of them can't handle it, but in the end, I think most of players transition well. They want to get on the field. We saw this with Rashede Hageman who liked the idea of us allowing him to play a TE but he made the move to DT gracefully. Stoud's transition from WR to CB wasn't as graceful. But I think most of the guys just want a REAL chance and then most of the guys are open.

I don't worry about Wozniak being open to the transition but I worry a little about someone who really wants to play QB wanting to give it up. Time will tell I guess and who knows maybe he will make it as a QB and it won't be an issue. Kid looks like a great athlete and you can never have too many of those guys.

I don't worry about Wozniak being open to the transition but I worry a little about someone who really wants to play QB wanting to give it up. Time will tell I guess and who knows maybe he will make it as a QB and it won't be an issue. Kid looks like a great athlete and you can never have too many of those guys.

Jones said that he wouldn't mind moving to defensive back and that he just wants to help the team succeed. He also said that he feels a bit of a chip on his shoulder because he wants to prove that he can play QB at this level but I think he has the right attitude about it.

No, I hear you but all you can promise is the chance.

On a side note about Jones. . .he is fast. It's hard to tell if this class will be succesful but we have some burners (Myrick, Jones, Edwards).

No, I hear you but all you can promise is the chance.

On a side note about Jones. . .he is fast. It's hard to tell if this class will be succesful but we have some burners (Myrick, Jones, Edwards).

Yep. Marion Barber was recruited as a DB but asked for a shot at RB and we know how that one turned out. QB is a tough position to predict in terms of how a player will adapt to the college game so you can never have too many quality options there. This does create a bit of a log jam of young QB's with Nelson, Leidner, Strevler, and Jones but safe money says at least one of those guys ends up at a different position at some point in the near future.

What does this mean for Nelson or how do you think he looks at this with Kill signing 2 solid dual threat QBs in the same class?

What does this mean for Nelson or how do you think he looks at this with Kill signing 2 solid dual threat QBs in the same class?

It means he is the QB this year while those two redshirt and they fight it out the next two years.

I thought Kill always had a preference for dual threat QB's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Nelson shouldn't be worried though. It's his job to lose. He makes Jerry's job much easier if both of these freshmen are ale to red shirt. Stay healthy and throw strikes Mr. Nelson.

Nice STrib story: U plucks quarterback out of SEC country

Georgian Donovahn Jones had a change of heart at the last minute, choosing to bring his dual-threat game north.

"My relationship with Coach Kill, ultimately, was the deciding factor," Jones said. "The position didn't really matter because I'm willing to play quarterback or receiver."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/190487801.html

Go Gophers!!

Virtually every program in the country recruits at least one QB every year.

Nice STrib story: U plucks quarterback out of SEC country

Georgian Donovahn Jones had a change of heart at the last minute, choosing to bring his dual-threat game north.

"My relationship with Coach Kill, ultimately, was the deciding factor," Jones said. "The position didn't really matter because I'm willing to play quarterback or receiver."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/190487801.html

Go Gophers!!
that is interesting, as everything I heard said that the only reason he came here was that no one else would let him play QB.

Think the kid just wants a shot at QB

I have no problem giving good athletes a shot at any position as long as they are willing to make a move later. Heck, if Jonah Pirsig wants to show off that arm, we should have let him take a snap at QB (JK).

I think the chance to play QB is being overplayed a little with Jones. You can't tell me that Missouri would never have considered letting a RS FR spend a week or two at QB in practice to see if he is a fit.

I thought Kill always had a preference for dual threat QB's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Nelson shouldn't be worried though. It's his job to lose. He makes Jerry's job much easier if both of these freshmen are ale to red shirt. Stay healthy and throw strikes Mr. Nelson.

Isn't Nelson a dual-threat QB? It wasn't his legs failing him this year.

Isn't Nelson a dual-threat QB? It wasn't his legs failing him this year.

I would call Nelson mobile, but dual threat is reserved for guys like Braxton Miller, Marqueis, and Denard Robinson just to name a few in the Big 10

I have no problem giving good athletes a shot at any position as long as they are willing to make a move later. Heck, if Jonah Pirsig wants to show off that arm, we should have let him take a snap at QB (JK).

I think the chance to play QB is being overplayed a little with Jones. You can't tell me that Missouri would never have considered letting a RS FR spend a week or two at QB in practice to see if he is a fit.
His HS coach said that mizzou wasn't going to give him even a token shot at QB

His HS coach said that mizzou wasn't going to give him even a token shot at QB

Which again should tell you something about his true prospects at the QB position. Maybe he shocks everyone and sticks there but if none of the other schools recruiting and offering him were even willing to give him a shot to try the position then I would say the odds are pretty good that he just doesn't have the skill set to be a college QB. No harm in giving him the shot he wants but I would think his future is at a different position. Heck the way they talk about Streveler his might be as well.

Which again should tell you something about his true prospects at the QB position. Maybe he shocks everyone and sticks there but if none of the other schools recruiting and offering him were even willing to give him a shot to try the position then I would say the odds are pretty good that he just doesn't have the skill set to be a college QB. No harm in giving him the shot he wants but I would think his future is at a different position. Heck the way they talk about Streveler his might be as well.

Yes, because Mizzo is the coaching Mecca of football...

Remember that Gannon was tickled because the Vikes were the only ones who would still let him try to play QB. I guess he should give his SB ring back...

Be careful not to put too much weight in some other schools rumored coaching evaluations.

Yep. Marion Barber was recruited as a DB but asked for a shot at RB and we know how that one turned out. QB is a tough position to predict in terms of how a player will adapt to the college game so you can never have too many quality options there. This does create a bit of a log jam of young QB's with Nelson, Leidner, Strevler, and Jones but safe money says at least one of those guys ends up at a different position at some point in the near future.

or same position with a different team. we've seen it before.

Yes, because Mizzo is the coaching Mecca of football...

Remember that Gannon was tickled because the Vikes were the only ones who would still let him try to play QB. I guess he should give his SB ring back...

Be careful not to put too much weight in some other schools rumored coaching evaluations.

I don't follow all the specifics but I got the impression the other schools offering him were also not looking at him as a QB. Look I have no clue how it is going to play out, sure there is a chance he could come in and be a great QB for us but from everything that seems to be out there the kid is not projected to be a QB.

He will get his shot at QB, if he makes it awesome, you can never have too many quality QB's on the roster. My point is based on everything that I have seen to this point if I were going to put money down on it I would bet heavily on him playing something other than QB at the college level. How it will all shake out in the end is anyones guess.

I don't follow all the specifics but I got the impression the other schools offering him were also not looking at him as a QB. Look I have no clue how it is going to play out, sure there is a chance he could come in and be a great QB for us but from everything that seems to be out there the kid is not projected to be a QB.

He will get his shot at QB, if he makes it awesome, you can never have too many quality QB's on the roster. My point is based on everything that I have seen to this point if I were going to put money down on it I would bet heavily on him playing something other than QB at the college level. How it will all shake out in the end is anyones guess.

I don't think anyone (including us) really projects him to be a QB in a couple years. He looks to be too good of an athlete to keep off the field and you can only have 1 QB on the field.

I do think that other schools would have been cool with letting him try it at QB. I think that's a tad overblown that other schools would not have given him the same token shot at QB.

Maybe he trusted that the chance at MN would be more than a mere token (which he is probably right) and maybe he thinks he has a better chance of actually staying at QB. However, I can't believe that Missouri would not have let him line up at QB for a week or two in summer camp to see what they have. Heck, with the amount of running QBs that they will face next season, I can't believe that Missouri wouldn't have wanted him to run the scout team QB next year.

Jones selection of MN is probably explained best in the article that demonstrates the relationship Papa Jones dad and a gopher coach going back to childhood days in Rockford. not hard to understand a father entrusting his son to the care of a good friend.

I find it hard to believe NO ONE was willing to give him at least a quick look at QB at all, but I guess if they're okay with their QB haul, maybe they didn't wanna ruffle feathers, I don't know. You never know, he could walk on campus and just kill it, and next thing you know, he's dominating the B1G. Stranger things have happened, but I know I'm not anticipating it. While I do keep the door open that Kill might find something there, I gotta think if the vast majority aren't willing to give you that shot at the position, then it's not likely in the cards.

Needless to say, similar to Gray, I'll take any high level athletes. They'll fit in SOMEWHERE I'm sure.

I find it hard to believe NO ONE was willing to give him at least a quick look at QB at all, but I guess if they're okay with their QB haul, maybe they didn't wanna ruffle feathers, I don't know. You never know, he could walk on campus and just kill it, and next thing you know, he's dominating the B1G. Stranger things have happened, but I know I'm not anticipating it. While I do keep the door open that Kill might find something there, I gotta think if the vast majority aren't willing to give you that shot at the position, then it's not likely in the cards.

Needless to say, similar to Gray, I'll take any high level athletes. They'll fit in SOMEWHERE I'm sure.

That is the key. On this team we need athletes and playmakers. The QB thing will sort itself out.

Top Bottom