Donovahn Jones a GOPHER!!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kill ain't gettin caught not having enough QBs ever again haha

Kill ain't gettin caught not having enough QBs ever again haha

That's what we thought last year when we were returning Gray, Shortell and Foreman and he recruited Nelson and Leidner.

This year, he's brought in 3 pretty solid QB prospects: Jones, Streveler and the kid from La Crosse.

^^

Thanks, I spaced the walk-ons!

Two left and he has two committed. Seems like a wash to me.

For some reason I was thinking we had 3 scholly QB commits lol. But yeah, I guess it's 2 for 2. Oh well, either way, I'm sure he'll be working hard not to have to enter a season with a soph, freshman, and a redshirt frosh as his top guys.

Hmm.. Well, I guess this proves that ol' Country Jer' actually CAN recruit B1G players?

Jones type of speed we don't usually get at Minnesota

I'm glad they offered him a shot at QB, you want a fast kid like him to have the ball in his hands as a playmaker.
Now it will be up to Jones to compete and beat out the other guy's at QB if that is what he is. Such is the nature of that position, to be the QB you can't just be the best athlete, he better come prepared to know the play book in and out
and out work everyone else. He better not come in thinking take the ball and just run, we need a guy that
uses his head not just his wheels. Competition at QB is a good thing, may the best man win the job.

Nelson and Leidner compete for 1-2. The rest get 1-2 years to compete for next man up. I'm sure they all know position changes are possible down the road.

Sweet! You've got to love it when Kill can get a SEC commit to flip! Welcome aboard Donovahn!

Wonder if he has a shot to get on the field at QB this upcoming season? Excited to see Jones in Maroon & Gold

Tubby may want him to do some dunking at Wms Arena

Wonder if he has a shot to get on the field at QB this upcoming season? Excited to see Jones in Maroon & Gold

I'd be surprised if he was RS.

We need an athletic QB who can take some hits off Nelson. I think Nelson starts, Leidner backups and Jones is in that Jordan Lynch (pre 2012) type QB. Streveler hopefully RS. I Jones proves to be the real thing, either keep Streveler at QB (year apart) or move him to safety (he talked about the possibility of playing S in college).

So maybe burning Nelson's redshirt wasn't such a catastrophe?

Tubby may want him to do some dunking at Wms Arena

Indeed. The cat can ball! Looks like a great athlete. It's coming down gang - next year we are even better on the field and the overall level of recruits really start to shine. Right on script!

Not that i care, but why such low ratings from the three recruiting sites? The offer list and ratings don't seem to add up.

Not that i care, but why such low ratings from the three recruiting sites? The offer list and ratings don't seem to add up.

Probably because he doesn't have a clear position at the next level. He doesn't have good passing mechanics and he hasn't played much if any WR.

It's just crazy to think he doesn't even crack the top 80 in Georgia and he'd likely be top 5 in Minnesota. Unreal talent down there.

Interesting that this is the second commit from a guy who has come here because we are the only school telling him he can play the position he wants to. Will be very curious to see how these players respond if/when the time comes and they are forced to switch to the position that everyone else is telling them they will have to play.

I understand fans getting excited about any commitment but some of the comments in this thread have him coming in and competing for the starting spot next year when we appear to be the only team even willing to consider letting him try to play QB.

From what I've seen in the past most players don't have a problem with a position switch if they feel that they got a fair shot at their preferred position. The question that can't be answered is what do they consider a fair shot. Coach Kill is a straight shooter so he should be OK with most kids.

Just watched the hudl video.....Wow! What an athlete. Seems like a versatile guy that could end up at QB, WR, or DB for us. I'd have given him a scholarship even if he wanted to punt just to get him on the team. Like GV said above, he would have been a top 5 prospect in MN, maybe even #2 after Onwualu.

It's just crazy to think he doesn't even crack the top 80 in Georgia and he'd likely be top 5 in Minnesota. Unreal talent down there.

I may have posted this story a while ago, but even if I did, it's worth repeating - especially here.

I was in Georgia about 10+ years ago one April for a 3-4 day business meeting / deal finalization. When we got there we had a computer glitch, and we were not going to be able to resume until the next day. So, one of the hosts invited the 2 work teams back to his hotel room around 2:00 p.m. for some adult beverages. We were enjoying some cool ones, and mapping strategy for starting up again the next day, when one of the other guys from Georgia got up around 3:00 p.m., and said "I gotta go and take my son to practice". I said,"how old is your son?" He replied, "fourth grade." I said, "boy, I really love baseball, and really loved it playing when I was your son's age." The guy got a funny look on his face, and said, "I'm taking him to spring football practice."

Yep, that's right. 4th grade . . . spring . . . football . . . practice . . . in Georgia.

No surprise Jones "can't crack the GA Top 80", and why he'd be a Top 5 if a Minnesotan.

Those *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#-bags who comment in the StarTribune are clueless about this, and can't understand why we are only signing 1 schollie guy from Minnesota.

It's why there are 100's of Minnesota kids playing on hockey schollies across the nation.

I may have posted this story a while ago, but even if I did, it's worth repeating - especially here.

I was in Georgia about 10+ years ago one April for a 3-4 day business meeting / deal finalization. When we got there we had a computer glitch, and we were not going to be able to resume until the next day. So, one of the hosts invited the 2 work teams back to his hotel room around 2:00 p.m. for some adult beverages. We were enjoying some cool ones, and mapping strategy for starting up again the next day, when one of the other guys from Georgia got up around 3:00 p.m., and said "I gotta go and take my son to practice". I said,"how old is your son?" He replied, "fourth grade." I said, "boy, I really love baseball, and really loved it playing when I was your son's age." The guy got a funny look on his face, and said, "I'm taking him to spring football practice."

Yep, that's right. 4th grade . . . spring . . . football . . . practice . . . in Georgia.

No surprise Jones "can't crack the GA Top 80", and why he'd be a Top 5 if a Minnesotan.

Those *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#-bags who comment in the StarTribune are clueless about this, and can't understand why we are only signing 1 schollie guy from Minnesota.

It's why there are 100's of Minnesota kids playing on hockey schollies across the nation.

We could always ban hockey in the state, though that might upset the 38 people currently on the Hockey Forum.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom