Do you approve of this hire?

Do you approve of this hire?

• No, i would have preferred someone with more experience.

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Yes, I think this is genius!

Votes: 110 45.8%
  • Not sure, but willing to give him a chance.

Votes: 109 45.4%
  • Fire Teague!

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Possibly premature but for all intents and purposes, it sounds like Rich Pitino is our new head coach. If so, how do you feel about this hire?

Why do we have to Settle and then be so accepting. That is how we are in Minnesota. When we hired Jerry Kill I cried and then laughed at how we settled for Coach Kill. Well Coah Kill is our guy now and we support him. We all know he will never bring a winning program to the Big Ten, but he is our coach. Does anyone think he can compete with Urban Meyer or most of the other big ten coaches? Now we hired a 30 year son of a coaching legend. Be it his dad's morals are out of wack, but a good coach. He is now our guy. I don't think anyone will put this coach in the top half of coaches in the Big Ten, but he is our guy now. We will support him There is no pressure here at Minnesota we accept things. Winning is not one of the things that we accept. I am a Gopher season ticket holder and I was hoping that the new coach would fire up the gopher fan base and generate money for a practice facility. We are accepting, but not fired up. There won't be donations for the practice facility. The U will come to the State of Minnesota and continue to ask for more money to hire additional adminstrators and we accept this. The thing that I have a hard time accepting is how the media has told us to trust Norwood T. & Ellis. This first hire is a joke, but we have to accept it. What else can we do. I have read almost all the blogs and all anyone says is lets see how this goes he is young and has energy, but no proven track record. The blogs ask us to accept him and if he does well he will move on to another program in a couple of years or he will move onto Long Beach State or Texas Tech. I accept this. Why do we allow the people in charge to continue to make bad decisions and not hold anyone accountable. We can go to Joel Maturi and ask him for his opinion of the hire since he is still on the staff for 100% of his salary as an AD. We accept this. Villa 7 let us down big time. Eveyone thought when the Ego's (Norwood/Ellis) fired Tubby that they had a plan. A coach would be hired quickly that the fan base could get behind and be fired up, but instead we get little Richie Pitino as our coach and we will accept this. I am sure Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, Matt Painter, John Beilein, Thad Matta, Tim Miles and all the coaches in the Big Ten are in fear with the Villa 7 hire. When Tyus, Rashard and Reid are at their home and Coach Rich shows up to talk with them I am sure Coach K, Coach Cal, Roy and the other coaches will be shaking in their boots. Welcome to Minnesota Sports and the world of Acceptance. Thanks Villa 7 and the U of M ego's you did us proud and we accept this. Ski U Mah!

I accept all of the negativity from the previous post.

Richard Pitino's resume is equal or better than Shaka Smart's when he became a head coach, and that turned out to be a pretty good deal for VCU. Go Richard and Go Gophers!

Shaka Smart
1999–2001 California (PA) (asst.)
2001–2003 Dayton (dir. of basketball ops.)
2003–2006 Akron (asst.)
2006–2008 Clemson (asst.)
2008–2009 Florida (asst.)
2009–present Virginia Commonwealth (Head Coach)
Year/School/Wins-Losses/Conf record/Conf Standing/Postseason
2009–10 VCU 27–9 11–7 5th CBI Champions
2010–11 VCU 28–12 12–6 4th NCAA Final Four
2011–12 VCU 29–7 15–3 2nd NCAA 3rd Round
2012–13 VCU 27–9 12–4 2nd NCAA 3rd Round

Richard Pitino
2004-2005 Coll. of Charleston (admin. asst.)
2005-2006 Northeastern (asst.)
2006-2007 Duquesne (asst.)
2007-2009 Louisville (asst.)
2009-2011 Florida (asst.)
2011-2012 Louisville (associate head coach)
2012-2013 Florida International U (Head Coach)
2013-present University of Minnesota (Head Coach)

Why do we have to Settle and then be so accepting. That is how we are in Minnesota. When we hired Jerry Kill I cried and then laughed at how we settled for Coach Kill. Well Coah Kill is our guy now and we support him. We all know he will never bring a winning program to the Big Ten, but he is our coach. Does anyone think he can compete with Urban Meyer or most of the other big ten coaches? Now we hired a 30 year son of a coaching legend. Be it his dad's morals are out of wack, but a good coach. He is now our guy. I don't think anyone will put this coach in the top half of coaches in the Big Ten, but he is our guy now. We will support him There is no pressure here at Minnesota we accept things. Winning is not one of the things that we accept. I am a Gopher season ticket holder and I was hoping that the new coach would fire up the gopher fan base and generate money for a practice facility. We are accepting, but not fired up. There won't be donations for the practice facility. The U will come to the State of Minnesota and continue to ask for more money to hire additional adminstrators and we accept this. The thing that I have a hard time accepting is how the media has told us to trust Norwood T. & Ellis. This first hire is a joke, but we have to accept it. What else can we do. I have read almost all the blogs and all anyone says is lets see how this goes he is young and has energy, but no proven track record. The blogs ask us to accept him and if he does well he will move on to another program in a couple of years or he will move onto Long Beach State or Texas Tech. I accept this. Why do we allow the people in charge to continue to make bad decisions and not hold anyone accountable. We can go to Joel Maturi and ask him for his opinion of the hire since he is still on the staff for 100% of his salary as an AD. We accept this. Villa 7 let us down big time. Eveyone thought when the Ego's (Norwood/Ellis) fired Tubby that they had a plan. A coach would be hired quickly that the fan base could get behind and be fired up, but instead we get little Richie Pitino as our coach and we will accept this. I am sure Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, Matt Painter, John Beilein, Thad Matta, Tim Miles and all the coaches in the Big Ten are in fear with the Villa 7 hire. When Tyus, Rashard and Reid are at their home and Coach Rich shows up to talk with them I am sure Coach K, Coach Cal, Roy and the other coaches will be shaking in their boots. Welcome to Minnesota Sports and the world of Acceptance. Thanks Villa 7 and the U of M ego's you did us proud and we accept this. Ski U Mah!

I'm not a fan of this hire either but I'm not going to sit and get all worked about it. I will support the program and pitino just like I did with tubby, monson, Clem, etc. The thing I find hilarious is the fact so many are acting like this is a homerun hire. 3 days ago rich wasn't on anyone's radar and now people are jacked. If Iowa or wisky made this decision we would have a thread discussing the joke of a hire at terrible universities. Again I'm not upset about the hire, I had never heard of rich pitino until yesterday and it might work and it might not. Either way I will support the U.

I'm not a fan of this hire either but I'm not going to sit and get all worked about it. I will support the program and pitino just like I did with tubby, monson, Clem, etc. The thing I find hilarious is the fact so many are acting like this is a homerun hire. 3 days ago rich wasn't on anyone's radar and now people are jacked. If Iowa or wisky made this decision we would have a thread discussing the joke of a hire at terrible universities. Again I'm not upset about the hire, I had never heard of rich pitino until yesterday and it might work and it might not. Either way I will support the U.

You may be "supporting" the U, but it sure sounds like someone is twisting your arm to do it. In fact it almost sounds like you are hopeful that it doesn't work out so then you can say, "I told you so."

That's the great thing about being a fan - you can extract from it whichever joys or miseries you choose. The more i read and see of Rich Pitino, the more it becomes obvious that he has a great charisma and excellent general basketball sense. I like Tubby, but his body language and his communication skills were horrible. I'm more impressed with Pitino just merely in observing him. He seems cocksure and humbled at the same time, what's not to like? His age? Really? Who cares, if he can win. I'd rather have someone young and unproven than someone who's older and has ingrained in themselves a pattern of mediocrity. And, in fact, the idea of other teams, their coaches and fans hating us for having a 'boy wonder' as a coach actually strikes me as pretty awesome. Who knows? Maybe it doesn't happen, maybe it does. Sure is fun to think about.

It's all a moot point. Tim Brando has just given his blessing on the hiring of King Richard. He also said, "it smacks of the world we live in today, winning the press conference and getting publicity, that kind of run matters as much if not more that what the resume says." He can be such a Debbie Downer!

Sounds like Pitino got out of FIU at a good time. They will not be able to play in the postseason next year because of a low APR. Not his fault, this was an effect of the Isiah Thomas days.

I like this hire quite a bit. I am from the slightly skeptical camp that would have preferred that Tubby get one more year, but I understand why a Teague and many here felt it was time for a change.
Do you guys think that the local talking heads on Kfan and partly Kstp will be even more negative about Gopher athletics now that the guy they openly were pulling for didn't get the job? I really hope not.

Yes, I approve.

I am an old fart who truly believes that the youth of today breeds the excitement of the future.

Today's kids can do marvels with modern technology that I can't even comprehend.

But the kids of yesterday invented it.

It is up to the youth to make the future.

GO GOPHERS!!! AND GO COACH PITINO!!!

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 1h

Told that FIU hasn't been officially notified by NCAA, but program not expected to be eligible for NCAA tourney next season due to APR.

You may be "supporting" the U, but it sure sounds like someone is twisting your arm to do it. In fact it almost sounds like you are hopeful that it doesn't work out so then you can say, "I told you so."

Never would I cheer against the U! Feel free to make your own opinion, I'm just not sold on pitino as a sure thing like you seem to believe

I also don't care if I'm right or wrong. I am one of the few that is willing to say I'm wrong and have no fear in doing so

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 1h

Told that FIU hasn't been officially notified by NCAA, but program not expected to be eligible for NCAA tourney next season due to APR.

It's because of Isaiah Thomas. Their president is on the record saying so much and that Pitino did wonders to help clean up the mess.

Yes, I approve.

I am an old fart who truly believes that the youth of today breeds the excitement of the future.

Today's kids can do marvels with modern technology that I can't even comprehend.

But the kids of yesterday invented it.

It is up to the youth to make the future.

GO GOPHERS!!! AND GO COACH PITINO!!!

And then the youthful coach bails for another basketball program if he succeeds.

And then the youthful coach bails for another basketball program if he succeeds.

Jeez.... so you prefer mediocre records from Tubby over youthful coach with success who bails.... As long as we have the practice facility, we should give him a heroes parade on the way out if he was successful and chooses to leave. Much higher profile program at that point.

Jeez.... so you prefer mediocre records from Tubby over youthful coach with success who bails.... As long as we have the practice facility, we should give him a heroes parade on the way out if he was successful and chooses to leave. Much higher profile program at that point.

+1

This is a very good hire. Simply time for a new energy. He is so fired up that he even referred to some great program here. this programs history is 9th or 10th in the big 10, very little success when measured against other schools in the conference. His enthusiasm is exactly what is needed to change that. No question he will bring in better players then Tubby. Love not focused on what is not here but what is.

This hire just screams of desperation. Once again Minnesota becomes a training ground for inexperienced coaches. Maybe the boosters will feel like they are giving money to their grandson and help pay for a practice facility.

I agree. I expect us to get the rejects from papa's recruiting list. Don't like it at all. Had hoped for Saunders to increase the Minnesota feel to the program.

I agree. I expect us to get the rejects from papa's recruiting list. Don't like it at all. Had hoped for Saunders to increase the Minnesota feel to the program.

.......and that sentiment is one (of admittedly many) reasons why we've been astoundingly mediocre in revenue sports. "Get a guy with 'Minnesota feel', whatever the F that means, rather than a guy that those in charge deem to be overall best for the program"

With the poll now closed, it seems fairly unanimous that people are going to be optimistic about this hire until we have a reason not to be. Sort of refreshing around these parts.

Was unsure at first. Started feeling better a day into it. Now I am liking the hire more and more each day. The Gophers could have continued with the boring average play and 6th place finishes for four more years under tubby or they could swing for the fences. I am glad we took a chance on something that could turn out really great. It may not, but at least it isn't more of the same.

Top Bottom