Do you approve of this hire?

Do you approve of this hire?

• No, i would have preferred someone with more experience.

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Yes, I think this is genius!

Votes: 110 45.8%
  • Not sure, but willing to give him a chance.

Votes: 109 45.4%
  • Fire Teague!

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Considering where we were headed as far as names in the pool, I dig it. Obviously if you told me prior to firing Tubby that Rich Pitino would be the guy, I would have kinda cringed at that. But all in all, I think Teague makes out decent here. I went "Not sure", but with optimistic hope.

I look forward to watching this guy do work, sounds like he'll at least bring a lot of energy to the table and will battle in recruiting. Maybe we could even have an outside shot at the Big 3 still.

Two names come to mind when I think of this hire: Bill Musselman and Tim Brewster.

Musselman had more head coaching experience but was he was about 30 years old, energetic and had blood coming out of his fangs. A little too much as it turns, out, but if Pitino is what we hope he is, this will be awesome for the U.

Brewster had the same type of experience as an assistant to some very good to great coaches, but no head coaching experience. The Big Ten was too high of a step for him.

I can see either of these scenarios. For some reason, I don't expect anything in between. Hoping for the best!

Finally, we got someone with a pulse! Was pretty confident that Norwood Teague would hook a young, dynamic coach to help start rocking the Barn. With Pitino,we'll finally have a chance to get some of the good local players-maybe not next year's big 3(Tubby and the boys pretty well screwed that up), but there'll be other good locals who will respond to Pitino's high intensity-type of ball. FINALLY!

Considering they were going to interview Eric Musselman I give it a A++++++++.

This hire just screams of desperation. Once again Minnesota becomes a training ground for inexperienced coaches. Maybe the boosters will feel like they are giving money to their grandson and help pay for a practice facility.

Dude, WTF are you talking about? We just got rid of a HC who had 500+ wins. You wanted him gone. You didn't say that we were a training ground then. Man you are one negative GopherGod.

Two names come to mind when I think of this hire: Bill Musselman and Tim Brewster.

Musselman had more head coaching experience but was he was about 30 years old, energetic and had blood coming out of his fangs. A little too much as it turns, out, but if Pitino is what we hope he is, this will be awesome for the U.

Brewster had the same type of experience as an assistant to some very good to great coaches, but no head coaching experience. The Big Ten was too high of a step for him.

I can see either of these scenarios. For some reason, I don't expect anything in between. Hoping for the best!

I am a little nervous about the lack of experience as a head coach but I think it is far easier for someone to jump into a basketball job than it is a football job so not sure Brewster is a great comparisson. Brew was in no way ready for a head coaching gig, from what i have seen this guy is, even if he is still a little raw.

Can't disagree more Gopher God. Listening to this guy talk it makes me want to cry I'm so happy. Gopher basketball could actually be fun to watch again !

He is young but has an impressive resume. My guess is that Teague will help him hire some very seasoned assistants. Pitino plays an aggressive defensive style, has great name recognition, and has worked for some great coaches. A solid choice IMO.

I find it funny that everyone was willing to drive a dump truck full of money up to 35 y/o Shaka Smart's house over 4 years of HC experience at a mid major where all he did was mostly keep a fine machine running, but then 30 y/o Richard Pitino doing something with absolutely nothing in 1 year is somehow a risk?

I'll bet that Richard Pitino even a few years younger than Shaka, still has spent more time doing basketball related activities during his lifetime.

This is the risk/reward hire we needed to break the cycle. I love it. I have no fear he will run us into the ground and become PSU, but he has the potential to take us to new heights. Has the name, the Asst Coaching pedigree and the style of play that kids want today.

Didn't his did perform an abortion on some woman in a restaurant kitchen a few years back? Hopefully, he is just as ethical.

This is the best we can do? Wow.

Didn't his did perform an abortion on some woman in a restaurant kitchen a few years back? Hopefully, he is just as ethical.

This is the best we can do? Wow.

I wonder what some of the people in your family might have ever done. Irrelevant.

Maybe he will work out, just don't think the Big Ten should be a training ground. Remember as well that sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree(Pat Knight, Sean Sutton, Joey Meyer)

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I'm more than willing to give him a chance. There will be a lot more energy around the program. Of course, there was more energy around the football program when Brewster took over for Mason. Say it with me boys and girls, "Is your linguini hot?"

What makes anyone think we've hired him? I've seen no announcement from ether institution. If there is one, I am thrilled.

i love how many think this coaching selection is "genius" pitino is an unknown at this point. we can all hope for the best but if iowa did this many on gopherhole would be laughing at them and talking about how stupid they are. wait and see, support the program, and be thankful it wasnt wojo;) go gophers

What makes anyone think we've hired him? I've seen no announcement from ether institution. If there is one, I am thrilled.

ESPN reporting they have agree to terms.

It's a stretch, but at least it's not a coach that I dislike...Wojo, Grant, Cronin or a retread.

Show us what you can do youngblood. Let's hope for good staff as well.

Bad Goph, Will this hire get you to renew your season tix?

Great hire!!

This hire just screams of desperation. Once again Minnesota becomes a training ground for inexperienced coaches. Maybe the boosters will feel like they are giving money to their grandson and help pay for a practice facility.

I think he will do a super job! After a 5-7 year stint here, Richie can take over for Dad at Louisville! Go Gophers!:clap::clap::clap::clap::cool:

I am thinking has there been any sons of good coaches that have gone on to be good head coaches on their own? There have been "plenty" of sons that have been good assistants. We hire a guy strictly based on his family history of coaching. Maybe we should have hired Ryan Saunders OOPS.

This blog is right on. I wish we weren't always the laughing stock. Can we beat Wisconsin in anything???? It is embarassing. What is the VILLA 7?

Musselman left for San Diego ABA.

I reckon you could count that, but I think of him as having beat the authorities out of town, Butch and Sundance-style.

Bad Goph, Will this hire get you to renew your season tix?

Hell, yes. I'm really excited to see the product on the court, even if it's fewer conference wins than we had last year.

What's your temperature?

Has anyone seen any tweets or heard of any current player reactions?

If name wasn't Pitino?

I can't believe the blind optimism by everyone on this board. If this guy didn't have Pitino as a last name, this hire would be absolute bs.

Dude's got one year of HC experience with a .500 Sun Belt conference record and 7 years of being an assistant (3 of which under daddy). He's got one year of HC experience at a mediocre school more than our beloved Saul Smith.

I realize that we are not the top destination for big names, but this is no better than a Dan Monson hire.

Dude may work his ass off and may find success, but in no way does his current resume suggest he's qualified for this job.

Top Bottom