Derek Burns thoughts

Other than the absence due to the death in the family I have been wondering the same thing about Wright for some time. Why are the staff not dialing up the deep balls that went to TJ and Bateman in 2019 for Dylan Wright?

I mean....Wright ended the day with more receiving yards than MBS and Jackson combined.....despite playing a fraction of the snaps. Just doesn't make sense that the most talented receiver (along with CAB) on the team isn't playing.

Sanford words salad here
Can anyone explain what kind of explosive plays is he talking about. I can't think of anything. What am I missing here? Is he expecting 3rd and long to be explosive plays?
Also if he is making Purdue score against Illinois as cover or benchmark, he better bring it as Purdue scored many TDs against iowa. Better be consistent with using other teams stat.

Sanford words salad here
Can anyone explain what kind of explosive plays is he talking about. I can't think of anything. What am I missing here? Is he expecting 3rd and long to be explosive plays?
Also if he is making Purdue score against Illinois as cover or benchmark, he better bring it as Purdue scored many TDs against iowa. Better be consistent with using other teams stat.

The rhythm, it’s going to get ’ya. What say you, Gopherholers? Does the short passing game not apply to 1st and 10? 🤷‍♂️

WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOURSELF AS A COORDINATOR, WHAT DID YOU FEEL LIKE WASN'T WORKING FOR YOU LAST WEEK AND WHAT AREAS DO YOU WANT TO IMPROVE ON YOURSELF?​

Sanford: "I think just doing everything in my power with the staff to stay in rhythm offensively. That's a big one is just to find that rhythm.
And rhythm leads to staying at or out ahead of the sticks. Getting into 2nd-and-6's and being in third and manageable. So just doing whatever it takes, and obviously every game plan is different. Every defensive structure is different. That's why matchups are very unique. Look across our conference, there are certain matchups that it seems like every year Purdue gives certain teams have fits and then other teams, they don't. And the same thing with us.
You got to do everything in your power with the matchups you're presented, with schematics and with the physical matchups, to keep our offense in rhythm. And that's the thing that obviously I take great pride in. Is wanting to keep our offense in a rhythm in which I feel like we had been through a big 10 play every game except for this one."

WITH HINDSIGHT BEING 20/20, DO YOU WISH YOU WOULD HAVE GONE TO MORE OF A SHORT PASSING GAME AFTER THAT FIRST DRIVE TO TRY AND GET TANNER INTO A RHYTHM AND SUSTAIN THAT RHYTHM?​

Sanford: "Yes and no.
There's more to it than to just simply call short passes. There's coverages that were taking that away and then there were coverages that were really leaving that kind of 18 yard sweet spot area, as an area we wanted to attack on certain downs and distances.
So to say that, would love to have gotten just the the quick passing game going, there's more to it. In the sense of on 1st-and-10, they're going to play a certain coverage and then 2nd-and-10, they're going to play a different coverage. And the short passing game becomes more relevant on maybe 2nd-and-10 or 2nd-and-8 then it does on 1st-and-10. And so there's situational football, that as a coordinator that you have to manage what are the tendencies that a defense has put on tape. And then in a lot of the chunk attempts that we were making in the passing game were based off of our game plan of going into the game.
We wanted to attempt to get into the those two areas against those coverages. So to answer your question Ryan, rhythm whatever that looks, is of paramount importance. Both for Tanner and the offense. It's the complimentary piece of the run and pass. Obviously, that was the missing piece and that's where the the magic formula is going forward."

Sanford words salad here
Speaking of explosive plays, the Toledo Rockets either figured how to run all over the vaunting BG defense, or throw it over their heads.

Toledo 49 Bowling Green 10 at this moment

The BG game and a loss by a #20 Gopher team to a lackluster Illinois team might be two of the worst Gopher losses by a "good' Gopher FB team I can recall since the 2014 Jerry Kill debacle in Champaign IL.

Last edited:

Sanford needs to go as soon as possible. Wins vs. Iowa, lowly Indiana, and UW will of course, change things. That would about make up for the BG and Illini efforts.

Sanford words salad here
Wow, what a complete crock of sh!t that was. No wonder our offense struggled against Illinois.

What’s the point of checking with the sideline before every play if we’re not actually going to try to take advantage of what the defense is doing?
To make the defense think you are. Illinois might have stopped buying it LOL

What’s the point of checking with the sideline before every play if we’re not actually going to try to take advantage of what the defense is doing?
I hate the "check with me" offenses. I mean we really don't know what if any adjustments are being made during that period but just not a fan of that type of offense.

I mean, if you're going to kill 30 seconds off the clock every play you might as well make it look like you are doing something instead of just standing there watching the seconds tick down.

I do not think I have hated an offensive coordinator so much since Bob Schnelker was on the sidelines for the Vikings!!!
You trying to get the original Burnsie riled up??? (RIP)

The rhythm, it’s going to get ’ya. What say you, Gopherholers? Does the short passing game not apply to 1st and 10? 🤷‍♂️
Wow. I feel dumber after reading this mush head's cliche-laced, verbal merry-go-round. Seems to have no actual understanding of the underlying causes of his offense's failure.

"We need to execute"
"You have to play smart football"
"It was a case study of what can happen if you aren't advantageous and taking advantage of the opportunities that are presented to you"
"We have to play smart football"
"But we've got to be patient"
"We have to play our identity and style of football".

So if I understand correctly, what Sanford is saying is that if we do what we have decided to do, based on what we have been doing consistently with mixed results, and assuming the other team's cooperation, all will turn out as intended?

🤡

Last edited:

Sanford words salad here
Can anyone explain what kind of explosive plays is he talking about. :poop: (FIFY) I can't think of anything. What am I missing here? Is he expecting 3rd and long to be explosive plays?
Leave the talk about the previous games behind. Yes - telegraph your game plan. This is like announcing that you're launching a surprise attack. LOL!

Simply, Sanford Jr did not game-plan well against Illinois.

Hopefully Stanford’s script doesn’t show run,run,pass then repeat on the next series. If so, we might not score.

No wonder why the Illinois Defense was able to be rested and regroup. TM spent a lot of break time looking over the sideline.

They need to have TM be the game manager/coach that PJ Fleck claims he is.

Whatever happened with switching tempos to confuse and prevent the opposing defenses from regrouping and catching their breath? This is the case where the TOP tactic didn't work so well.

WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOURSELF AS A COORDINATOR, WHAT DID YOU FEEL LIKE WASN'T WORKING FOR YOU LAST WEEK AND WHAT AREAS DO YOU WANT TO IMPROVE ON YOURSELF?​

Sanford: "I think just doing everything in my power with the staff to stay in rhythm offensively. That's a big one is just to find that rhythm.
And rhythm leads to staying at or out ahead of the sticks. Getting into 2nd-and-6's and being in third and manageable. So just doing whatever it takes, and obviously every game plan is different. Every defensive structure is different. That's why matchups are very unique. Look across our conference, there are certain matchups that it seems like every year Purdue gives certain teams have fits and then other teams, they don't. And the same thing with us.
You got to do everything in your power with the matchups you're presented, with schematics and with the physical matchups, to keep our offense in rhythm. And that's the thing that obviously I take great pride in. Is wanting to keep our offense in a rhythm in which I feel like we had been through a big 10 play every game except for this one."

WITH HINDSIGHT BEING 20/20, DO YOU WISH YOU WOULD HAVE GONE TO MORE OF A SHORT PASSING GAME AFTER THAT FIRST DRIVE TO TRY AND GET TANNER INTO A RHYTHM AND SUSTAIN THAT RHYTHM?​

There's more to it than to just simply call short passes. There's coverages that were taking that away and then there were coverages that were really leaving that kind of 18 yard sweet spot area, as an area we wanted to attack on certain downs and distances.
So to say that, would love to have gotten just the the quick passing game going, there's more to it. In the sense of on 1st-and-10, they're going to play a certain coverage and then 2nd-and-10, they're going to play a different coverage. And the short passing game becomes more relevant on maybe 2nd-and-10 or 2nd-and-8 then it does on 1st-and-10. And so there's situational football, that as a coordinator that you have to manage what are the tendencies that a defense has put on tape. And then in a lot of the chunk attempts that we were making in the passing game were based off of our game plan of going into the game.
We wanted to attempt to get into the those two areas against those coverages. So to answer your question Ryan, rhythm whatever that looks, is of paramount importance. Both for Tanner and the offense. It's the complimentary piece of the run and pass. Obviously, that was the missing piece and that's where the the magic formula is going forward."
This guy is a complete tool. How many fricken’ chances is he going to get? He’s awful. People just keep hiring him and he just keeps making teams worse. It’s ridiculous. He couldn’t win at the high school level.

This guy is such a dipshit, it’s astounding.

It might be easier to establish a passing rhythm if we once in a while snapped the ball when ready, and threw high percentage passes at the outset. Get the QB and WRs coordinated and engaged early. Lots of moving parts; hard to switch on suddenly in the mid 3rd Q. Some of what we like to do on offense seems, to me, to be a meaningful factor in our inability to establish passing game rhythm.

Everything could work if the O-line actually wears jock straps instead of panties like last week. The O coordinator might as well go home when there is no blocking. The Illinois loss was 100 percent the O-line play.

Everything could work if the O-line actually wears jock straps instead of panties like last week. The O coordinator might as well go home when there is no blocking. The Illinois loss was 100 percent the O-line play.
100% might be too high but yeah, a huge portion of the problems on offense against Illinois fall on the O-Line. They have done a great job of protection in most games, they did not do that on Saturday.

I do not think I have hated an offensive coordinator so much since Bob Schnelker was on the sidelines for the Vikings!!!
Short of a 3-0 record down the stretch and Bowl win, or maybe one less win overall, Sanford needs to be run out of town on the proverbial rail. The downside to turning it over to Matt Simon or letting KC come back is zero. This guy needs to go. Mike Sanford Jr. should have been packing his bags Saturday night.

I am old enough to remember Bob Schnelker, and to think a offensive guru like former Iowa HC Jerry Burns, sealed his NFL HC chance, and turned his team over to that guy is impossible to comprehend. PJF appears to be suffering from a similar delusion about his OC. There is no doubt that Sanford Jr will seal his own fate and go at year end, or prove us all wrong. Other than the squandered year, we as fans win either way.

Good old Burnsy:

Last edited:

Run the playclock down to zero so that the defense knows exactly when we (have) are going to snap the ball.

Short of a 3-0 record down the stretch and Bowl win, or maybe one less win overall, Sanford needs to be run out of town on the proverbial rail.

It's an interesting situation. If we go 3-1, including a bowl win, the rest of the way, that will be a 9-4 finish. That would seem to be a good season and presumably a job saver but, if a 9-4 record didn't protect Tracy Claeys, why should that record guarantee Sanford's job?

Same thing with the Bowling Green game. The o-line didn't block worth shit.

Derek Burns was really good on the Gopher Gridiron Podcast per usual. Both Derek and Ryan (also Burns no relation) went through a number of examples of the Gophers running plays that just had little chance to work against what Illinois was doing. One play, Minnesota kept 8(!) in to protect and Illnois only rushed 3 and still got a sack...why? Nowhere to go with the ball when only 2 guys are out on routes and 8 guys are in coverage! They both admitted Tanner did not play well which is refreshing. I also loved that they called out the complete complete lack of physicality from the Gophers in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Derek mentioned that both are Oline and Dline were losing the battle up front early. It did improve on defense as the game continued, but Derek (correctly IMHO) noted that Illinois also didn't need to score any more points and we struggled to get them off the field when we really needed to allowing them to drain clock. The offensive line stayed a problem the entire game and Ryan Burns suggested that Minnesota loses the last 3 if they get this type of performance from the Oline again.
Sobering analysis.

I guess the Illinois DL is just really that good. Multiple draft picks upcoming.

I doubt it ... but I just don't get it.

Top Bottom