Derek Burns thoughts

All of the running into +1 boxes on 1st and 2nd down is maddening.
Not doing Irving especially any favors. Seemed like several times he tried to bounce it outside because of the mass in front of him and ended up losing yards.

Most frustrating thing to me is this:

Illinois - First two series: 19 plays, 135 yards, 2 TD's.

Rest of the effing game - 9 series (4 of them resulted in a total of -1 yard), 35 total plays, 100 yards, no scores.

Offense lost the possession game, and was less efficient on 3rd down.

At the end of the day, that game didn't mean anything. We still need to beat iowa and wisconsin to win the west, and that is still all in front of this team.

RTBSUMGG!

Fleck mentioned in his press conference exactly what Burns said, that they didn’t change there offense until there were 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. This is on Fleck as much as anybody else. His unwillingness to change his offense is as much a problem as Sanford’s play calling.

Fleck mentioned in his press conference exactly what Burns said, that they didn’t change there offense until there were 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. This is on Fleck as much as anybody else. His unwillingness to change his offense is as much a problem as Sanford’s play calling.
Sanford’s play calling IS flecks offense. You can fire Sanford if you want but it’s going to look similar

Posted same burns Twitter thread in the bench Morgan thread. Wideouts not good enough to get space fast for the game plan. Coaches never changed the plan.

Sanford’s play calling IS flecks offense. You can fire Sanford if you want but it’s going to look similar

Posted same burns Twitter thread in the bench Morgan thread. Wideouts not good enough to get space fast for the game plan. Coaches never changed the plan.
The passing game is considerably different now than it was in 2019. It's pretty hard to tell if Sanford is the reason for that change or if Fleck changed a bit.

In 2019, our passing game took what the defenses gave us and they gave us a lot (we had such good receivers and because of our running game).

That’s what I’m saying. Sanford is calling Fleck’s offense. So, things will never change even if we get a new OC. Am I wrong?

The offense itself isn’t the problem. The inability to make adjustments of any kind is a huge issue.

The passing game is considerably different now than it was in 2019. It's pretty hard to tell if Sanford is the reason for that change or if Fleck changed a bit.

In 2019, our passing game took what the defenses gave us and they gave us a lot (we had such good receivers and because of our running game).
I’m also questioning if we’re really running true RPO much anymore. It seems the pass or run is determined ahead of time and Morgan isn’t really making the decision on the fly. Maybe I’m wrong.

I’m also questioning if we’re really running true RPO much anymore. It seems the pass or run is determined ahead of time and Morgan isn’t really making the decision on the fly. Maybe I’m wrong.
That was true under KC too. At least Half the stuff people call “RPO” is called play action.

That’s what I’m saying. Sanford is calling Fleck’s offense. So, things will never change even if we get a new OC. Am I wrong?
I think there will be some marginal changes

Would like to go back and watch some film from Western Michigan when PJ was there. Does anyone recall if the Offense from 2015 and 2016 WM looks anything like the Gophers offense of now? I get that they were playing in the MAC but it seems like they were putting up 40 or more points every game.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "wideouts not good enough." Stop with this nonsense.

If Fleck says he is not a good X & O guy like he says, then why is he micro-managing his OC(s)? So, it is not entirely Sanford Jr's playcalling?

It has absolutely nothing to do with "wideouts not good enough." Stop with this nonsense.
That’s exactly what it was. And for some reason the coaches never realized that an adjusted to a simpler game plan. They thought they could run the slow developing play action routes and get guys open. Wideouts not good enough to get open fast enough. Unless you think they were throwing the game?

They run an obscene number of deep routes. Many times where Morgan gets sacked it’s because we are running 2 WR’s, both in medium to deep routes, and Morgan has nowhere to dump it off and break the blitz. I just don’t understand how it seems our only plays are RUTM or a deep route. It’s like Sanford has never heard of a short to intermediate route. I swear Morgan throws as many deep sideline fades as he does 8yd crossing routes. I am thoroughly convinced this offense is designed to fail.

That was true under KC too. At least Half the stuff people call “RPO” is called play action.
Sure, but a ton more RPO was run under KC.

You could tell by watching the lineman. You could tell because there are considerably more awkward handoffs.

I agree, not every PA out of the shotgun is an RPO despite what a lot of people think, but there was way more RPO with KC.

If Fleck says he is not a good X & O guy like he says, then why is he micro-managing his OC(s)? So, it is not entirely Sanford Jr's playcalling?
No chance Fleck is micro-managing this offense. He wouldn't have time between all of the recruiting and personal commitments.

Also, as much as people like to say that Minnesota wasn't calling RPO, it doesn't matter because they were still isolating the safety on a shallow cross and getting their receivers open, even if it was just play action. They would also check to isolated corners if they had a good matchup, which isn't happening this year. The offense changed after KC left and I don't know how people can keep arguing that it's not different now.

The evidence here and elsewhere supports the idea that the OC just isn’t very bright. I’d welcome other explanations for what is happening on the field. This team has enough talent to score more one one TD versus BG and IL. Combine that with a CEO/motivational type HC and it seems like on those occasions the opposing staff doesn’t “play along“ with what MN is trying to do brain freeze or analysis paralysis occurs and disaster ensues.

That’s exactly what it was. And for some reason the coaches never realized that an adjusted to a simpler game plan. They thought they could run the slow developing play action routes and get guys open. Wideouts not good enough to get open fast enough. Unless you think they were throwing the game?
Running slow developing deep routes and "not good enough to get separation" are 2 distinct issues, not remotely related.

The problems were play calling related, not talent related.

Bielema outcoached the OC, and he refused to adjust.

Thisss!! PJ doesn't care what kind of O or D we are running. If I remember correctly TOP for Purdue game is not good. But he was not complaining as it doesn't fit into his overall philosophy of what an O should be. We just have a horrible OC who haven't earn respect from PJ. It was chummy buddy hire from day 0. I am not sure Simon is the answer. But many of us can agree Sanford is not the answer. It is that simple. Also pls stop BS/snerky saying all these message boards OCs know better than real OCs. Sometimes it doesn't take you to be the one to judge whether that person is doing the job or not. We constantly vote for president without spending a day in oval office. Incumbent election are normally evaluation votes. Hiring or firing vote. Not trying to be a political message. Just want to pointout with simplest example.

Top Bottom