Derek Burns thoughts

That was true under KC too. At least Half the stuff people call “RPO” is called play action.
Not sure I agree. Part of RPO is the ability pre-snap to determine to a high percentage where to go with the ball. Very likely on some of those that you call play action Morgan already knew it was going to be a pass and he knew where it was going.

The evidence here and elsewhere supports the idea that the OC just isn’t very bright. I’d welcome other explanations for what is happening on the field. This team has enough talent to score more one one TD versus BG and IL. Combine that with a CEO/motivational type HC and it seems like on those occasions the opposing staff doesn’t “play along“ with what MN is trying to do brain freeze or analysis paralysis occurs and disaster ensues.
It's clear the lack of offensive acumen. PJ Fleck did not make the offensive adjustment until late in the game. Where was Sanford? Was he sleeping at the wheel?

Washington just fired their OC John Donovan. PJ make your move.
This was Donovan’s first year as Washington’s OC. Donovan was hired 7 days after Sanford.

He was probably put on notice after the Huskies lost to Montana 13-7 in non-conference play. That reminds of a certain B1G-MAC matchup from around that same time…

Purdue would have destroyed that defense.

Washington has scored 30 once in 9 games. Minnesota has scored 30 6 times in 9 games.

I think people should relax and let the season play out. The team lost its best player the 1st game and is still an average offense.

Also team definitely is still running the RPO. The problem is other teams are taking away the slant or they are telling the refs before the game to call lineman down field which they have been.

Washington has scored 30 once in 9 games. Minnesota has scored 30 6 times in 9 games.

I think people should relax and let the season play out. The team lost its best player the 1st game and is still an average offense.

Also team definitely is still running the RPO. The problem is other teams are taking away the slant or they are telling the refs before the game to call lineman down field which they have been.
Relax? I think we are doomed. 🤔

Unless..

The fifth-year coach and his OC lost to teams like BG or Illini with first-year coach who was hired during a pandemic. Nothing to see here. Just another wonderful gopher football season.

Last edited:

I appreciate those who stay level-headed after what we saw Saturday, so in that way I appreciate you. I also agree Sanford did a nice job the previous 4 weeks, so I don't have my torch and pitchfork out. It doesn't change the fact he was TOTALLY inadequate on Saturday, so I think it's fair for us fans to bellyache a little. Everyone could see it live, and rewatching highlights, listening to the GG podcast, and seeing the screencaps Burns posted on Twitter just confirmed it. Sanford sucked. He wasn't the only one who sucked, but he was the primary culprit.

Now, the REASONS he sucked are up for debate. Was it PJ keeping a leash on him? Was it a plan all week to intentionally NOT show things that would've won this game because they were "saving" them for Iowa and Wisconsin and arrogantly thinking they could beat Illinois without them? Was it the OL stinking? Was it the WRs not getting open? Was it the QB seeing ghosts? That part is up for debate, but there's NO DOUBT Sanford stunk.

Click to follow the thread. Burns always has a great breakdown. Our coaches on offense seem to be clueless. Illinois was giving us short, easy passes all game.

Dude, thanks for posting this. I listened to the GG pod and heard them talking about this, but actually seeing it is just maddening. The first play of the game MN completed a pass just short of the sticks. Easy completion under that "off" coverage. We didn't see that concept again until late in the 4th quarter. I mean truly...WTF?! How can an OC (and his position coaches) not see what was obvious to anyone watching with even a slight background in offensive FB? Illinois was doing the same things all day: cover 3 with the CBs playing off, FS playing centerfield, and SS bouncing in and out of the box. Easy to beat that with stop routes, curls, screens, and even jet sweeps and other runs into that off coverage on the sidelines. They did NONE of that most of the day, instead choosing to run routes that C3 was designed to stop. Maddening.

Oh, and when they finally DO call routes to beat that coverage, Illinois just happens to bounce into C2 which would take away those routes. Despite that -- and the fact MN looks to the sideline twice before every snap to get in/out of plays -- Sanford chooses to stay in a route combo that has ZERO chance of working. I seriously don't understand.

RUTM just happened to work four weeks in a row!

RUTM just happened to work four weeks in a row!
Yep, it's why coaches are paid to think long term. It's tough to blame the players for lack of preparation for a modern offensive philosophy. You can win 4 games that way but actually harm your team.

The ability to make adjustments and take advantage of situations is like 75% of what an offense does. Not many teams just run the same script of 5-6 plays the whole game
When Sanford said last week that Simon was more creative and he is more structured, it told me a lot. OC's need to be creative in and leading up to games. It seems the Gophers go in way to conservative and short scripted to be able to adjust to the game. Go off script a bit and come back to the script when the defense adjusts. Vikings seem to have the same issues. They both struggle to be creative once the defense adjusts to their scripts.

When Sanford said last week that Simon was more creative and he is more structured, it told me a lot. OC's need to be creative in and leading up to games. It seems the Gophers go in way to conservative and short scripted to be able to adjust to the game. Go off script a bit and come back to the script when the defense adjusts. Vikings seem to have the same issues. They both struggle to be creative once the defense adjusts to their scripts.

Is there a link to those comments? How do you not demote the OC after he says that?

Is there a link to those comments? How do you not demote the OC after he says that?

How would you describe the relationship with Matt Simon and play calling and influencing the calls that you make?​

Sanford: "It's been good. I think a lot of that happens during the week, as Matt's such a creative mind. I think he's a left hander and I'm a right hander, so it's the creative side vs. kind of the pragmatic side. I think I see things like through a spreadsheet mind, and Matt sees things very creatively. And I think the two of us work well together. And it's gotten so much better just because we know each other better. And we can anticipate what our preferences are when we're game planning together during the week. We spent a lot of time together during the week.

Not sure I agree. Part of RPO is the ability pre-snap to determine to a high percentage where to go with the ball. Very likely on some of those that you call play action Morgan already knew it was going to be a pass and he knew where it was going.
Well KC goes around the country and tells people that they don’t run much post snap read stuff. So I’m going to believe him.

It's very concerning if our offensive coaching staff can't recognize and make very easy adjustments.

I would argue that a majority of the plays are not actually RPO.

Sure, but a ton more RPO was run under KC.

You could tell by watching the lineman. You could tell because there are considerably more awkward handoffs.

I agree, not every PA out of the shotgun is an RPO despite what a lot of people think, but there was way more RPO with KC.
Maybe more check with me at LOS but not more post snap read. It’s pretty similar. People also play against RPO differently than they did 2 and 3 years ago at college level, pro level, and high school level. You get run keys more than you did previously

Would like to go back and watch some film from Western Michigan when PJ was there. Does anyone recall if the Offense from 2015 and 2016 WM looks anything like the Gophers offense of now? I get that they were playing in the MAC but it seems like they were putting up 40 or more points every game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Western_Michigan_Broncos_football_team

Other than @NW (win) and the MAC championship game (win), the smallest point total was 34 and that was @Illinois (win). Then two games with 37 and 38, the rest 40+.

This was Donovan’s first year as Washington’s OC. Donovan was hired 7 days after Sanford.

He was probably put on notice after the Huskies lost to Montana 13-7 in non-conference play. That reminds of a certain B1G-MAC matchup from around that same time…
Right, but again, Washington is well out of it now.

How would you describe the relationship with Matt Simon and play calling and influencing the calls that you make?​

Sanford: "It's been good. I think a lot of that happens during the week, as Matt's such a creative mind. I think he's a left hander and I'm a right hander, so it's the creative side vs. kind of the pragmatic side. I think I see things like through a spreadsheet mind, and Matt sees things very creatively. And I think the two of us work well together. And it's gotten so much better just because we know each other better. And we can anticipate what our preferences are when we're game planning together during the week. We spent a lot of time together during the week.
Simon: "Hey Mike, I really think we should give this play a try. I know it didn't look amazing in practice ... that one time you let me run it ... but I think it has a chance here. ....... or do you just want to run that same play we did again last time."

Sanford: "Nah, run that same one. It's gotta hit! It looked great in practice!"

Simon: "ok ..... " 😔

Thanks, and that sounds better than what I thought. But it's also telling that our lead OC cannot adjust to in game situations. That's when you have to be able to drop the spreadsheet.

I normally take a more relaxed approach. The major thing that concerns me is how the Illinois loss looked like a mirror image of the BG loss. Sanford will definitely have his opportunity to earn his keep these next three games.

It's very concerning if our offensive coaching staff can't recognize and make very easy adjustments.

I would argue that a majority of the plays are not actually RPO.
Amen. You can get away with that crapfest ONCE, but now we get it a second time in the same season. Here is what I think happened. The coaching staff saw an inferior opponent who they could easily beat so they decided to keep it very simple. They did not make any adjustments because they thought they could just ram it down their throat. When they did decide to change things up they scored on an up tempo offense but it was too little and too late.

ALWAYS respect your opponent and realize you can lose to anyone on any given Saturday. You can go in with a more simple game plan but you had better be able to adjust on the fly if Plan A isn't working.

Burnsie's breakdown showed a couple simple adjustments that could have and should have been implemented. If he can see it, why can't our offensive coaching staff?? Does our coaching staff have anyone in the press box and can they tell what the difference between a Cover 2 and Cover 3 is??? Because if they did -- we would have probably beaten both Bowling Green and Illinois.

Despite that -- and the fact MN looks to the sideline twice before every snap to get in/out of plays -- Sanford chooses to stay in a route combo that has ZERO chance of working. I seriously don't understand.
This raises a great question: what exactly are the coaches deciding in the one or two pre-snap check with me’s on each play? Surely they see that they are running into a plus one box or that the defense is well positioned to defend a stop route and shallow slant. Why are they not adjusting the play during that check? That is the entire purpose of the check with me. Do they just choose to stick with the same play on every check? Or do they simply change which side they run to or who the RB is picking up on pass plays? The offensive issues become more frustrating when you realize they are checking and then choosing to run those same plays.

Running slow developing deep routes and "not good enough to get separation" are 2 distinct issues, not remotely related.

The problems were play calling related, not talent related.

Bielema outcoached the OC, and he refused to adjust.
I think it's mostly play calling but also talent isn't helping.

Top Bottom