Dennis Evans will not be medically cleared to compete At Lville going forward

This just makes me feel a lot better that he got that NIL money. This has to be devastating, at the very least, he got something out of it financially, of course, it's nothing compared to what he maybe could have gotten long term with basketball but its better than nothing at all. Hopefully he can use it to transition into another career/passion for his future. Tough news.
At least we hope he got the money. There is so much unknown with the pay for play system that it is entirely possible that he doesn't end up getting anything close to what was promised.

It sounds serious whatever it is, and hopefully for his sake he can overcome it. Seemed like a good dude. If I remember correctly, he also did well academically, so if athletics won't be in his future, he's still got a wonderful mind and a lot of life ahead of him.

At least we hope he got the money. There is so much unknown with the pay for play system that it is entirely possible that he doesn't end up getting anything close to what was promised.
Yeah I’d actually pretty much expect he wouldn’t get any of the money if it hasn’t already been paid out. I suppose it depends on what / if anything was signed, but nothing ever gets confirmed or denied.

If Louisville is paying for his schooling still then the money missed (while still sucking mind you) at least is replaced with a solid, free education which is probably quite valuable to him since he seemed academically inclined.

Whole thing sucks though.

Louisville was very underwhelmed with Evans. He played less, and less as the season progressed, until the coach finally said the following, and now Dennis has a mystery illness, and isn't being allowed to play anymore? Something doesn't smell right to me.

"I'm not sitting here saying, 'I don't need him' and 'I can afford to sit him down.' He needs to develop," Payne said Nov. 28 when asked about Evans' decline in playing time. "That's why he came here, to develop (into) a good player. But there's a point in time in this where he has to watch and observe a little bit and say, 'OK, I got to get better.'"

Louisville was very underwhelmed with Evans. He played less, and less as the season progressed, until the coach finally said the following, and now Dennis has a mystery illness, and isn't being allowed to play anymore? Something doesn't smell right to me.

"I'm not sitting here saying, 'I don't need him' and 'I can afford to sit him down.' He needs to develop," Payne said Nov. 28 when asked about Evans' decline in playing time. "That's why he came here, to develop (into) a good player. But there's a point in time in this where he has to watch and observe a little bit and say, 'OK, I got to get better.'"
Of all your conspiracy theories, this one I kinda buy into.

Isn't it entirely possible that the "mystery illness" is the root cause (or a significant reason) that Evans' performance was substandard since playing for Louisville?

If it's performance/development issues and not medical as they're claiming, they're lying, of course.

If Dennis Evans has a medical issue, recently discovered, that will end his athletic career, I hope that he remains at Louisville and gets his degree. Seems like we Gopher fans should be very gracious since we watched one of ours be held out due to a heart condition. I would rather Dennis never play again, yet live a long prosperous life, than to see him die on the court.

Best wishes to the young man.

IF marfan
Isaiah Austin dealing with it and was playing pro basketball

Michael Phelps is another athlete with marfan syndrome
I have a sister-in-law whose sister's husband had marfan's. He was 6'11". He died in his mid-30's. Many with marfan's do not live long lives. If it was discovered he had a heart issue like marfan's then he would likely need to step away from sports and the University would not take the risk of letting him continue to play.

I have a sister-in-law whose sister's husband had marfan's. He was 6'11". He died in his mid-30's. Many with marfan's do not live long lives. If it was discovered he had a heart issue like marfan's then he would likely need to step away from sports and the University would not take the risk of letting him continue to play.
for those wondering, marfan syndrome often includes an enlarged aorta - one that rips more easily than a non enlarged aorta. Universities won't take that risk nor would the NBA - Isaiah Austin had to play overseas (mostly in China)

as far as i know Evans' medical condition is still undisclosed. His dad is tall (read about 6'10" and still alive) so i just figured Dennis got his tall lanky genes from his dad. that said, given Louisville's decision, there must be some serious medical issue

for those wondering, marfan syndrome often includes an enlarged aorta - one that rips more easily than a non enlarged aorta. Universities won't take that risk nor would the NBA - Isaiah Austin had to play overseas (mostly in China)

as far as i know Evans' medical condition is still undisclosed. His dad is tall (read about 6'10" and still alive) so i just figured Dennis got his tall lanky genes from his dad. that said, given Louisville's decision, there must be some serious medical issue
One would think honesty and professional integrity would take precedence over sports success and management. I know there have been a few higher profile instances of football players taking medical retirement after injuries that may have been more roster management than career ending injuries, but even that is very different than organic illness.

He does have his right to confidentiality but I do think there is benefit to the public knowing the health issue if for no other reason than to raise awareness.

Like all the rest, I wish the kid well in his health and life, both more important than basketball.

The reasons you just listed ARE why it was a bullet dodged for Gopher basketball. Had Evans come here, struggled and then had to medically retire (assuming that is what happens) Johnson would have been savaged for recruiting him.

No he wouldn’t have been. Just like no one was savaged for recruiting Jarvis Johnson. What a strange take.

The reasons you just listed ARE why it was a bullet dodged for Gopher basketball. Had Evans come here, struggled and then had to medically retire (assuming that is what happens) Johnson would have been savaged for recruiting him.
He wouldn't of been savaged for recruiting him... Cmon.. now your trolling.... He woulda been celebrated for landing him.... We were all ecstatic... I bet there wouldn't of been the snide remarks even....

Curious thing about his situation is what medical personnel know now that they wouldn’t have known in standard physical prior to the season. Did his current health situation dictate more study?

But then this happens and that scholarship is re-opened. Jarvis didn’t count against the scholarship limits.

Ihnen and Fox have taken more scholarships and not played than Evans possibly could have.
Hence dodging a bullet

Hence dodging a bullet

So never recruit anyone who may not contribute immediately because they may use that scholarship for a year? Your argument makes no sense.

Losing Evans after he signed was bad optics and bad for the program—regardless of how he is as a player or his health. Him being on scholarship this year wouldn’t have hurt the team.

So never recruit anyone who may not contribute immediately because they may use that scholarship for a year? Your argument makes no sense.

Losing Evans after he signed was bad optics and bad for the program—regardless of how he is as a player or his health. Him being on scholarship this year wouldn’t have hurt the team.
OFFS

I didn't appreciate how Evans LIED and smeared us when he reneged on his signing and switched to sleazy Louisville.

It was clearly the money. But he LIED and said the reason was that Coach Johnson didn't develop his freshmen properly.

Top Bottom