Dennis Evans will not be medically cleared to compete At Lville going forward

more details from Fan Nation:

“Freshman center Dennis Evans will not be medically cleared to compete at the University of Louisville moving forward. We are disappointed by the news and will not be releasing any additional information out of respect for Dennis’ privacy," the statement read.

The 7-foot-1, 215-pound center has missed the last six games due to what was only described as a shoulder injury, and head coach Kenny Payne said on Tuesday ahead of their Wednesday trip to Virginia that Evans was still "day-to-day." Evans did not make the trip to Charlottesville.

When asked if Evans' status meant that he was out for just the remainder of the season or indefinitely, Louisville SID Zach Greenwell told Louisville Report that "UofL does not foresee his status changing with the institution."

According to the Courier-Journal, Evans is still part of the program, but is not currently on campus and that UofL will honor his scholarship if he wishes to continue studying at UofL.

Over his seven games played, five of which were starts, Evans totaled 11 points, six rebounds and five blocks.

This is weird, but it's Louisville so who the hell knows.

That sucks. Too bad to hear news like that.

Bummer for the kid.

However... bullet dodged
How is it a bullet dodged? He was massively overhyped and would have gotten a lot of mockery early on I suppose. But in terms of the roster he probably replaces Jack Wilson.

Maybe the same condition as that Baylor center from about 8-10 years ago that stopped him from playing in the NBA, Marfan Syndrome?
Someone on the board speculated that could be an issue when we recruited him based on similar body characteristics, etc.Sad thing for him. He might get another chance to get on a roster, but the examination will be intense.

Too bad for Dennis Evans. But hopefully he can overcome whatever the issue is. Wonder if Evans was promised NIL money and, if so, was it paid?

Someone on the board speculated that could be an issue when we recruited him based on similar body characteristics, etc.Sad thing for him. He might get another chance to get on a roster, but the examination will be intense.
Yeah, obviously it's total speculation, but he's literally a poster child for every symptom of the disorder. And if it does affect the heart, it's really serious. I hope he stays healthy and goes on to have a good life.

I'd bet money on him having Marfan Syndrome, he matches several of the physical traits of it...tall and slender, extremely long limbs, very nearsighted...If it is, he'd be at higher risk of skeletal injuries, heart, and aorta problems. Isaiah Austin from Baylor several years ago had to stop playing after getting diagnosed with it.

As much as it was a disappointment that at the time 5 star recruit reneged on his commitment and went to another school this is still a young man whose basketball future seems to be in great peril. That is sad news and wish him the best in the future.

I'd bet money on him having Marfan Syndrome, he matches several of the physical traits of it...tall and slender, extremely long limbs, very nearsighted...If it is, he'd be at higher risk of skeletal injuries, heart, and aorta problems. Isaiah Austin from Baylor several years ago had to stop playing after getting diagnosed with it.
Sad if that's what it is. Wouldn't that normally have been diagnosed earlier than this?

Sad if that's what it is. Wouldn't that normally have been diagnosed earlier than this?
Not necessarily. It requires a genetic test to be detected and there are plenty of scenarios where it wouldn't be done (parents say no to it, for example).

How is it a bullet dodged? He was massively overhyped and would have gotten a lot of mockery early on I suppose. But in terms of the roster he probably replaces Jack Wilson.
The reasons you just listed ARE why it was a bullet dodged for Gopher basketball. Had Evans come here, struggled and then had to medically retire (assuming that is what happens) Johnson would have been savaged for recruiting him.

This just makes me feel a lot better that he got that NIL money. This has to be devastating, at the very least, he got something out of it financially, of course, it's nothing compared to what he maybe could have gotten long term with basketball but its better than nothing at all. Hopefully he can use it to transition into another career/passion for his future. Tough news.

Top Bottom