Dennis Evans - Is it time to recommit?

maybe not to some programs. for me, NIL seems to be getting a bit out of control. word is Iowa is offering wrestler Bernie Truax a $250K NIL deal - a wrestler!

the money probably means more to a wrestler since very few wrestlers get a full ride. but $250k!?
There is no doubt money is getting tossed around but I would be careful putting a lot of stock in the reported totals that get floated because my guess is there is a lot of misinformation and what not out there. Some of these reported big deals might be over multiple years or include all kinds of stipulations. Tough to know what is real and what isn't.

There is no doubt money is getting tossed around but I would be careful putting a lot of stock in the reported totals that get floated because my guess is there is a lot of misinformation and what not out there. Some of these reported big deals might be over multiple years or include all kinds of stipulations. Tough to know what is real and what isn't.

its about as much detail as I've seen on a nil deal yet. that said, haven't seen an actual nil contract posted for any deal yet

this is a popular story across several wrestling fan boards, so I wonder if it effects wrestlers like Minnesota's Aaron Nagao. Nagao recently entered the transfer portal. He will be a top wrestler at 133 lbs next season. If you're a program like PSU or Iowa he's the type of wrestler that could go a long way to getting a NCAA championship

going to bball, if stories like Evans getting #1M are floating around i do wonder if these stories are already setting expectations for top recruits and players. we're probably at the beginning of programs targeting players and recruits and having bagmen approach them floating big nil deals (for a specific school) to get them to enter the portal of ask for a release (as evans did)

its about as much detail as I've seen on a nil deal yet. that said, haven't seen an actual nil contract posted for any deal yet

this is a popular story across several wrestling fan boards, so I wonder if it effects wrestlers like Minnesota's Aaron Nagao. Nagao recently entered the transfer portal. He will be a top wrestler at 133 lbs next season. If you're a program like PSU or Iowa he's the type of wrestler that could go a long way to getting a NCAA championship

going to bball, if stories like Evans getting #1M are floating around i do wonder if these stories are already setting expectations for top recruits and players. we're probably at the beginning of programs targeting players and recruits and having bagmen approach them floating big nil deals (for a specific school) to get them to enter the portal of ask for a release (as evans did)
Pay for Play has been happening in basketball forever, they just don't have to hide it anymore since now they can call it something different and pretend it is not what it really is.

I hope they figure out a way to stop teams poaching guys off other rosters by offering big pay for play deals but I don't have much faith in them actually doing it.

Pay for Play has been happening in basketball forever, they just don't have to hide it anymore since now they can call it something different and pretend it is not what it really is.

I hope they figure out a way to stop teams poaching guys off other rosters by offering big pay for play deals but I don't have much faith in them actually doing it.
Come on, Mr Sunshine!

Per Shooter:

—Dennis Evans, the 7-1 California basketball prep who decommitted from the Gophers for Louisville, has a name, image and likeness (NIL) valuation of $59,000, as deemed by on3.com.

Go Gophers!!

Per Shooter:

—Dennis Evans, the 7-1 California basketball prep who decommitted from the Gophers for Louisville, has a name, image and likeness (NIL) valuation of $59,000, as deemed by on3.com.

Go Gophers!!
On3's numbers come from an algorithm; $59,000 is not the money he is actually making.

From On3's website:

"The On3 NIL Valuation is the industry’s leading index that sets the standard market NIL value for high school and college athletes. A proprietary algorithm, the On3 NIL Valuation calculates an athlete’s NIL value using dynamic data points targeting three primary categories: performance, influence and exposure.

While the algorithm includes deal data, it does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals athletes have completed to date, nor does it set an athlete’s NIL valuation for their entire career. The On3 NIL Valuation calculates the optimized NIL opportunity for athletes relative to the overall NIL market and projects out to as long as 12 months into the future.

The On3 NIL Valuation accounts for an athlete’s roster value and brand value. Roster value is the value an athlete has by being a member of his or her team at his or her school, which factors into the role of NIL collectives. Brand value factors in an athlete’s personal brand and the value it could bring to regional and national brands outside of the scope of NIL collectives.

The On3 NIL Valuation is publicly available. Performance, Influence, and Exposure ratings along with the athlete’s personal Brand Value Index and Roster Value Index are available only to the athlete in the “Athlete Verified” private dashboard on the On3 Athlete Network."

The on3 craze is one of the dumbest things I’ve seen but media outlets continue to run it like it’s what the players are actually making.

Dennis started against D2 Kentucky Wesleyan, but didn't record a shot attempt in 15 minutes. He had 4 points from the free throw line and 5 boards as the Cards lose 71-68 and put their coach firmly on the hot seat.

Dennis started against D2 Kentucky Wesleyan, but didn't record a shot attempt in 15 minutes. He had 4 points from the free throw line and 5 boards as the Cards lose 71-68 and put their coach firmly on the hot seat.
They lost the opener last year to a lower level team by a bigger score, I believe. Maybe they are improving.
If you are 7'5 and you play long enough to get some stats...shouldn't you be able to get a dunk at some point? Coach seemed to think so...
Story on game

They lost the opener last year to a lower level team by a bigger score, I believe. Maybe they are improving.
If you are 7'5 and you play long enough to get some stats...shouldn't you be able to get a dunk at some point? Coach seemed to think so...
Story on game

Using stats to evaluate a rim defender is misleading. He provides value that basketball stats don't measure.

Using stats to evaluate a rim defender is misleading. He provides value that basketball stats don't measure.
They lost to a D2 team picked to finish 8th in their league. Might eat crow after Macalester comes to town.

They lost to a D2 team picked to finish 8th in their league. Might eat crow after Macalester comes to town.
As underwhelming as the CBJ has been, to his credit, he has taken care of business against inferior opponents. The wins haven't always been pretty (quite frankly, most have been ugly), but they tend to escape with the win.

Yes, it shows up on the scoreboard. When your post players give you 2 points in 40 minutes it’s going to be tough to win. And the post players need more rebounds to prevent the opponents from scoring inside.
That acclaimed defensive presence allowed a D2 team to score 71 points.

He would have been much better served as a Gopher playing behind Payne. He is going to get eaten up in the ACC but money talks.

Yes, it shows up on the scoreboard. When your post players give you 2 points in 40 minutes it’s going to be tough to win. And the post players need more rebounds to prevent the opponents from scoring inside.
That acclaimed defensive presence allowed a D2 team to score 71 points.
Manute Bol in th NBA:
2.6 points per game
Net worth at retirement $7million.

Manute Bol in th NBA:
2.6 points per game
Net worth at retirement $7million.
I guess I don’t understand the point you are trying to make. He played 5 years in the NBA. He really wasn’t that much of a factor when he played. Hence the short career. He was good with his money and he walked away a millionaire. He only made $200k his last year, which was pretty much the minimum.

I guess I don’t understand the point you are trying to make. He played 5 years in the NBA. He really wasn’t that much of a factor when he played. Hence the short career. He was good with his money and he walked away a millionaire. He only made $200k his last year, which was pretty much the minimum.
My point is PPG doesn't determine the true value of an elite rim protector.

I thought that was wrong, so I looked it up - he actually played 10 years in the NBA. It was not a short career at all.

OT - I once ran into him at a hotel getting out of an elevator in Dallas. There is no mistaking Manute Bol for anyone else...

I thought that was wrong, so I looked it up - he actually played 10 years in the NBA. It was not a short career at all.

OT - I once ran into him at a hotel getting out of an elevator in Dallas. There is no mistaking Manute Bol for anyone else...

Especially when he came out of the elevator on two floors simultaneously.
7ft 7in.!!!

My point is PPG doesn't determine the true value of an elite rim protector.
I agree with you. We are talking about two different things.
1. Elite rim protectors shouldn't be allowing 70 plus points to a D2 team...my ppg reference.
There is certainly more to it we don't have stats for....where did the opponent score from, what % did they shoot, how many blocked shots or altered shots were there etc?
We need some evidence he is an elite rim protector other than wing span.
2. The flip side...if you are not an elite rim protector then you need to score to have value.
Or, you need more than 5 rebounds.

Just like it's way too early to declare the gophers' season a bust because they supposedly lost a controlled scrimmage against hated Colorado St., I think it's premature to declare Dennis Evans a bust because he didn't come here and he played poorly in an exhibition game against a DII opponent. I doubt he will be Joel Embiid, but I'm a couple of years away from writing him off.

I once declared that Adrian Peterson couldn't turn the corner based on a handful of carries in a preseason game.

I agree with you. We are talking about two different things.
1. Elite rim protectors shouldn't be allowing 70 plus points to a D2 team...my ppg reference.
There is certainly more to it we don't have stats for....where did the opponent score from, what % did they shoot, how many blocked shots or altered shots were there etc?
We need some evidence he is an elite rim protector other than wing span.
2. The flip side...if you are not an elite rim protector then you need to score to have value.
Or, you need more than 5 rebounds.
5 boards in 15 minutes is pretty healthy.

I’ve said many times that a 5-star player (or high 4) isn’t going anywhere to be the backup (and the starter has 3 years left). Especially at the C position where there isn’t enough talent to go around.

Last edited:

Top Bottom