Dennis Evans - Is it time to recommit?

Jumping to Louisville...they won in overtime today at Louisville vs New Mexico St who is in shambles. The refs fouled out 6 (SIX) New Mexico St players forcing them to play with four guys and lose by 6 in OT.
Louisville had 2 guys with 4 fouls, 3 guys with 2 fouls, 2 guys with 1 and the other 4 guys zero fouls. No, it doesn't have to be even but it sure looks like home cookin'.
New Mexico St shot 58.3% from the field and lost.
Evans played 3 minutes with zeros across the board.
Louisville shot 19 free throws in overtime. Nineteen!! They were an 8 point favorite but only won by 6.... so there is that.
I think there is a decent chance Kenny Payne gets canned after the Kentucky game. There is a decent chance they’ll be 6-6 and get destroyed.

As a High School Senior, he averaged 5.9 blocks per game.
What evidence do you have that he is NOT an elite rim protector?
That is wonderful. That is HS. Plenty of people dominate HS and do next to nothing in college.

I am not saying he isn't one...I am saying there is no evidence yet that he is. You are acting like we have 4 years of evidence that he dominates the rim. You speak in absolutes based on evidence that is lacking.

(sorry it took so long to respond...havent been watching or discussing much sports lately)

That is wonderful. That is HS. Plenty of people dominate HS and do next to nothing in college.

I am not saying he isn't one...I am saying there is no evidence yet that he is. You are acting like we have 4 years of evidence that he dominates the rim. You speak in absolutes based on evidence that is lacking.

(sorry it took so long to respond...havent been watching or discussing much sports lately)
Didn't Henley dominate the same conference that Wingspan dominated? And he looked pretty bad for us last year, and he looks horrific for DePaul this year. Clearly racking up stats in that conference doesn't translate to dominating at the college level.

He was never a BIG ten prospect, go back I have been saying this since before he "decommitted"

Stand by my original comment
And you know Evans was “never a Big Ten prospect” because……..you have insider information? You coached him one time. You followed every game of his high school career? You saw him play AAU basketball?

I think there is a decent chance Kenny Payne gets canned after the Kentucky game. There is a decent chance they’ll be 6-6 and get destroyed.
That game sounds like a foul fest, a ref’s worst nightmare! No referee wants to over call a game. That’s when the coaches have to step up and get the players to back off.

And you know Evans was “never a Big Ten prospect” because……..you have insider information? You coached him one time. You followed every game of his high school career? You saw him play AAU basketball?
Because I am a better evaluator of talent then you are

Not related to Evans but Thompson at Stetson hasn’t exactly been lighting it up either. Has had a few decent games but as soon as they play a better team he disappears.

Not related to Evans but Thompson at Stetson hasn’t exactly been lighting it up either. Has had a few decent games but as soon as they play a better team he disappears.
I’ve been watching some of his games and you’re right he has not been a factor at all. I thought he would do better than that. I wonder if his dad has been down there telling the coach how to run his team.

I sure hope the NIL money was worth it for him. We think we have a sh*tshow, Louisville is saying "Hold my beer....".

Can't be fun. Portal is always there Dennis, and we may even agree to see you again!
It's starting to look like he made the right choice in grabbing that money when it was available.

It's actually a blessing for Ben too (IMO). Evans would be taking minutes from Payne and probably Fox and Ben would be pressured into playing him (probably blamed for recruiting him and not developing him too). For our program, right now, it's probably a distraction we don't need.

It's starting to look like he made the right choice in grabbing that money when it was available.

It's actually a blessing for Ben too (IMO). Evans would be taking minutes from Payne and probably Fox and Ben would be pressured into playing him (probably blamed for recruiting him and not developing him too). For our program, right now, it's probably a distraction we don't need.

Amen! I can't believe that a few people seem to be wondering if he is interested in transferring here. Why?

Evans was a little odd as a prospect in that he was ranked really high but also viewed as a project whereas most really high rated basketball players seem to be ready to contribute at a high level right away.

Not sure Johnson would have felt pressured to play him if he clearly wasn't ready. And it isn't like the fans could have complained much more then then already were so would have just been another item to add to the list of fan gripes that Johnson probably spends very little time paying attention to.

In the end it would have been nice to have had him on the roster based on his potential for the future but he probably would not have been much of a factor this year and definitely would be stuck behind Payne in terms of playing time (which may have played a role in him backing out).

Johnson would have been blamed for his lack of development and his not playing a top end prospect would be hailed as the ultimate proof he is in over his head. Then, assuming Evans stays, the new coach would be the savior and would be the key to Evans being a stud only to see Evans still struggle. Then they would blame Johnson again for stunting Evans and so on...

I think Johnson dodged a bullet. If the program was on firmer ground he could take the criticism but Evans being his "best" recruit and not being ready for prime time would be the final nail.

I don't think our fanbase would be satisfied with a 5-star prospect only averaging 11 pts and 6 rbs per game.

At Louisville, Evans has 11 points and 6 rebounds on the season.

Basketball always gets a bit too caught up in measurables over guys who can flat out play.

I don't think our fanbase would be satisfied with a 5-star prospect only averaging 11 pts and 6 rbs per game.

Basketball always gets a bit too caught up in measurables over guys who can flat out play.
Dusty Rychart averaged 11 & 7 over his Gopher career and couldn't jump over a dime.

In

Interesting just checked outtop Gopher recruiting targets the last 3 years: 1. Tre Holloman is doing nothing at MSU 2. TAISON CHATMAN is doing nothing ( hardly playing) at OSU, and last but not least Nolan Winter is hardly playing and doing nothing at Wisconsin!. I find it ironic Two 4 star recruits and a high 3 star recruit all playing at Major Big Ten Powers and hardly even sniffing the floor and for darn sure not developing as players. All would have played at the University of MN.

Top Bottom