Coyle should be ashamed….

That's it for me folks. I am deleting Gopher sports, including the Gopher Hole from my computer. I will never watch another Gopher game or bother to read anything on Gopher Hole. I'd rather watch paint dry or sort my sock drawer. Absolutely the worst basketball I have watched in my 68 years. No more.
Just like that? Cold Turkey?

That's it for me folks. I am deleting Gopher sports, including the Gopher Hole from my computer. I will never watch another Gopher game or bother to read anything on Gopher Hole. I'd rather watch paint dry or sort my sock drawer. Absolutely the worst basketball I have watched in my 68 years. No more.
You can't quit us. You'll see.

Clem did what it took to win and you want him sainted.
Clem didn't pay big money for recruits or transfers. That's the SLEAZE I'm talking about...turning 'college' basketball into a total joke.

Why should anyone who attended Louisville like Dennis Evans? In reality, he has zero association with them. Nothing in common. He's there for the MONEY...not because he gives a rat's behind about Louisville or has any common ground with the other students.

Being a fan of 'college' basketball is very stupid if you stop & think about it.

Clem didn't pay big money for recruits or transfers. That's the SLEAZE I'm talking about...turning 'college' basketball into a total joke.

Why should anyone who attended Louisville like Dennis Evans? In reality, he has zero association with them. Nothing in common. He's there for the MONEY...not because he gives a rat's behind about Louisville or has any common ground with the other students.

Being a fan of 'college' basketball is very stupid if you stop & think about it.
So, he's more like Kris Humphries that we thought.

So, he's more like Kris Humphries that we thought.
Before...there was was at least an image that it was partially about school...and a Minnesota-associated coach like Ben Johnson could possibly recruit someone good. But it's all gone now. Any last shed of decency is gone.

I thought you were leaving.

Perhaps we just should have had some patience with Littlejohn.

I never heard that name before and I know nothing about women's basketball other than a little bit about Iowa's when I lived in Iowa City but those histories are now on College Basketball at Sports Reference. I can assure you that I will not be arguing for a fourth year if Johnson's 3rd season isn't measurably better than Littlejohn's.

Wow, Minnesota had a really horrible women's basketball history until Frese's brief tenure and her successor Bolton's longer one. It must be said that Littlejohn wasn't significantly worse than her dreadful predecessors although some of them had at least one decent season.

The Whalen hire was legit. Top five all time Gopher women's basketball player. Helped lead the Lynx to multiple WNBA titles. A top figure in the women's game. You would think that girls would want to come play for someone who had done it all.

Ben was an average player on average to below average teams who was working as an assistant at a Big East school.

The only similarity between Whalen and Ben is that they are both from here and played for the Gophers. That's where it ends.
Coyle's Whalen hire was for extorting $M donor money from Whalen-loving-alumni to help booster his athletic funds. In return, he allowed her to keep a nice salary and gets her friends undeserved jobs to boot. Outside of Minnesota, no one knows of, or cares of, Lyndsey Whalen. Hence, she has a roster of low-mid tier players from local MN high schools trying to play in the big ten. Not a formula for winning bb, but making money for themselves.

Coyle's Whalen hire was for extorting $M donor money from Whalen-loving-alumni to help booster his athletic funds. In return, he allowed her to keep a nice salary and gets her friends undeserved jobs to boot. Outside of Minnesota, no one knows of, or cares of, Lyndsey Whalen. Hence, she has a roster of low-mid tier players from local MN high schools trying to play in the big ten. Not a formula for winning bb, but making money for themselves.
Outside of a hardcore fan base, how many people know virtually any women's hoops coaches?

Going to go out on a limb and guess that quite a few more people both inside Minnesota and outside of Minnesota know who Whalen is than anyone knows who the heck Ben Johnson is; like tenfold more possibly

I totally get where you're coming from. But here's the deal. Many if not most of the societal problems we deal with today have as their root cause that society hasn't been as equitable or inclusive as it should be. Then it's a matter of, are we really going to continue to do the same things and expecct different outcomes??

Did you see that the City of Seattle just banned discrimination on the basis of Indian Caste? My reaction to this was, how is this not the law of the land in the whole country!? Go to Utah and try to be upwardly mobile without being a Mormon. Good luck with that.

A truly even playing field would clear up so many of our problems, and sometimes you have to take action and not just hope things work themselves out by themselves over time, because you know what, sometimes they get worse by themselves.
Sure, just don’t implement a caste system to get rid of a caste system.

Going to go out on a limb and guess that quite a few more people both inside Minnesota and outside of Minnesota know who Whalen is than anyone knows who the heck Ben Johnson is; like tenfold more possibly
Ben Johnson was a Big Ten player. And he's a coach that has freshmen playing well and 2 good recruits signed...although 1 got bribed away.

Whalen is a girl.

Ben Johnson was a Big Ten player. And he's a coach that has freshmen playing well and 2 good recruits signed...although 1 got bribed away.

Whalen is a girl.

Does any of that mean that the man is better known than the woman? Stick to the point.

Whalen is a girl.
Lindsay is a national basketball hall of famer and Olympic gold medalist. Up until his disastrous tenure as a college head coach, Ben was known to almost nobody in the sporting world. His name recognition now is a matter of infamy.

Top Bottom