Coyle should be ashamed….

GrayShouldPlayReceiver

Reaction score
Of the state of our basketball programs. It’s completely disgraceful how bad we are given the deep talent in this state. What in the hell is going on? Clearly people have not put enough heat on his office or we just don’t care…

Of the state of our basketball programs. It’s completely disgraceful how bad we are given the deep talent in this state. What in the hell is going on? Clearly people have not put enough heat on his office or we just don’t care…
Does the snake 🐍 surprise you? He makes Maturi look brilliant. Syracuse lucked out.

The AAU coaches in the state deserve some heat as well. Ben was their guy that they wanted for the job and then they have failed to consistently send a large number of their elite players to the program.

I don't want any part of the SLEAZE that college sports has become. Paying players & unlimited transfers makes building a wing program something to be ASHAMED of...not something to be proud of.

I will never ever even think about donating a penny to this sleaze.

I don't want any part of the SLEAZE that college sports has become. Paying players & unlimited transfers makes building a wing program something to be ASHAMED of...not something to be proud of.

Then I suggest you invest your time in another form of entertainment. College sports has been an ocean of sleaze for decades. Even the great John Wooden had a bag man (and it was an open secret for years).

I would have said perhaps grade school hoops would be more up your alley, but there is legitimately a site that tracks the progress towards recruiting for 4th grade basketball players.

Clem did what it took to win and you want him sainted.

The Gophers have the 4th longest losing streak (11) in the country. Only Presbyterian (16), Cal Poly (16) and Cal (12) have longer.

Still, the NW Consecutive BT loss record is far away. Thank you OSU! I have held the belief the Ben is an NW mole to relieve that record from NW. I no longer hold that belief

.....or the dumb things you believe. Leaving basketball out of it- woke ruins everything it touches. You don't need a news program to know that. Common sense is the only requirement to figure that one out.
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I've been in affirmative-action hiring environments for almost my entire career in both the public and private sectors. It's never given me a bad hiring outcome. Done well, it only makes you stronger. If Ben was hired solely because of his race, that's not the way a proper process is designed to work. Affirmative action does not equal race based. If anyone thinks that, they either have no experience with a good process or have racist bias.

.....or the dumb things you believe. Leaving basketball out of it- woke ruins everything it touches. You don't need a news program to know that. Common sense is the only requirement to figure that one out.
He was hired for recruiting soley and that was a huge mistake. Same reason Brewster was hired in the pre fake news era, Ben in the woke era...the "news" consumption dictates the mandated language.

He was hired for recruiting soley and that was a huge mistake.
Same pattern with Whalen, and she's white. Coyle foolishly thought they'd both make a big local recruiting splash, the programs would be on their way, and coaching is secondary to talent. He has it completely backward and inside-out.

He was hired for recruiting soley and that was a huge mistake. Same reason Brewster was hired in the pre fake news era, Ben in the woke era...the "news" consumption dictates the mandated language.
We are in the fake news era- just not the one you think.

It's not unusual to see people blaming all their problems on wokeness.

Maybe that's what happened here, but we don't know. It's a convenient boogeyman under the bed, though.

What I will say is this, though: it would be typical white midwestern liberalism if they hired an unqualified candidate because of his skin color. That's an empty gesture that only hurts progress, not helps it. Midwesterners are good about gestures.

Last edited:

It's not unusual to see people blaming all their problems on wokeness.

Maybe that's what happened here, but we don't know. It's a convenient boogeyman under the bed, though.

What I will say is this, though: it would be typical white midwestern liberalism if they hired an unqualified candidate because of his skin color. That's an empty gesture that only hurts progress, not helps it. Midwesterners are good about gestures.
If someone is complaining about "wokeness" it's a clue that I don't need to take their opinion seriously.

Same pattern with Whalen, and she's white. Coyle foolishly thought they'd both make a big local recruiting splash, the programs would be on their way, and coaching is secondary to talent. He has it completely backward and inside-out.

Some truth here, but a few differences between Whalen and Ben are the level of success each had achieved in their respective careers and probably more importantly, name recognition.

Female basketball players in the country have a good idea of who Lindsay Whalen is; hardly anybody on the planet outside of MSP knows who in the world Ben Johnson is.

Being black wasn't the only reason Ben was hired; it just happened to be the most important and critical one

Some truth here, but a few differences between Whalen and Ben are the level of success each had achieved in their respective careers and probably more importantly, name recognition.

Female basketball players in the country have a good idea of who Lindsay Whalen is; hardly anybody on the planet outside of MSP knows who in the world Ben Johnson is.

Being black wasn't the only reason Ben was hired; it just happened to be the most important and critical one
I am curious how you came to this definitive conclusion?

Maybe but we really don't know that, and I'm not sure its an issue now.

Nobody wants to know what happened behind closed doors more than I do. Until I know more, I'm not going to jump to conclusions that confirm my bias(es). Connecting the dots with the Whalen hire, though, the local recruiting angle is the common thread. Humans have characteristics, and Coyle is a human. And someone as arrogant and stubborn as him is going to try the same thing over again in irrational belief that this time it's going to work. I had a boss a number of years ago who made something for a potluck where the potatoes were undercooked. He needed to have parboiled them ahead of time but didn't. And yup, he made the same mistake the next year. Arrogant, foolish man.

You are assuming Joan didnt force Coyle in a certain direction of hire.....fits some of the other policies she put in place around the time of hire

The guy who thinks we should have played a man convicted of beating a woman while trying to rape her hates how sleazy the NCAA has become. You can't make it up.

Top Bottom