Coyle Deserves some heat

I already said in another thread weeks ago that this season would be a disappointment even if we won out but lost the big ten title game. Because 10-3 Minnesota doesn’t make the rose bowl and bowling green would have cost us the rose bowl.

so no, I won’t be happy with 7-5. I believe Fleck/Sanford game plan has cost us two games already this year and we are only 75% done.

We are at the point now that if we are 9-4 because we win the next 3 and then lose big ten title game, we will be fringe New Year’s Day bowl.
Just wanted you to know I've appreciated your posts in this thread...you're not on an island here. I'm disappointed as well and blame the coaching staff for the BG and Illinois losses. I also give them credit for all the wins -- including one on the road against PU that looks better every week. During Fleck's tenure they've lost a few games they probably should've won and won some they probably shouldn't have.

I mean, Coyle's status is going to come down to how Fleck, Ben Johnson and to a much lesser extent Motzko and Whalen do.

If Fleck is successful, that trumps the other 3.
If Fleck is hit or miss, he needs basketball to be decent.

Just wanted you to know I've appreciated your posts in this thread...you're not on an island here. I'm disappointed as well and blame the coaching staff for the BG and Illinois losses. I also give them credit for all the wins -- including one on the road against PU that looks better every week. During Fleck's tenure they've lost a few games they probably should've won and won some they probably shouldn't have.
I just think people are funny. We are in the middle of our best winning % in conference games in a 3 year stretch since the 60s and you have people thinking we should fire everyone. And you have other people arguing we aren’t a top 15 team when nobody has argued we are a top 15 team.

and then we have people complaining we should have beaten Illinois while also saying “I told you so” about not beating Illinois which makes no sense

Disappointing year so far. Fleck was brought in to raise expectations. Year 5 veteran roster playing some bad football with an O coordinator that would struggle at Macalester. Shitty losses in one of the worst divisions in Power 5 football don’t meet my expectations sorry. Ask Fleck if TO DATE this team has met his expectations 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️

Disappointing year so far. Fleck was brought in to raise expectations. Year 5 veteran roster playing some bad football with an O coordinator that would struggle at Macalester. Shitty losses in one of the worst divisions in Power 5 football don’t meet my expectations sorry. Ask Fleck if TO DATE this team has met his expectations 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️
He’s another Brewster

He’s another Brewster
Yawn. That take was lazy and ill-informed when Fleck was hired and it's even more so now. Scott Frost is Tim Brewster. PJ Fleck is the coach that's led this team to winning records in 2 of 4 seasons (probably 3 of 5 after this year), won conference coach of the year, brought 11 wins in 2019, and produced multiple NFL draft picks.

This season has been disappointing to me (and I'm sure many agree), but let's not get carried away.

I just think people are funny. We are in the middle of our best winning % in conference games in a 3 year stretch since the 60s and you have people thinking we should fire everyone. And you have other people arguing we aren’t a top 15 team when nobody has argued we are a top 15 team.

and then we have people complaining we should have beaten Illinois while also saying “I told you so” about not beating Illinois which makes no sense
It's the nature of fandom. Over on Bisonville, those delusional prairiebillies think everyone should be fired after a loss when they literally average one loss a season.

FB season is not over which is not obvious when you read GH after an ugly loss. I get it , it ruined a beautiful FB day today for me and my family. It's too early to know if Whalen and Motzko will ultimately be successful. Whalen signed 4 of the top 5 MN players for 22 'and that class has a top 20 recruiting class.
Building the WBB program will take time. Positive changes are coming. There are good signs with the latest signing of a top recruiting class.

OK.

But then how do you explain beating @Purdue, Nebraska, Maryland, and @NW (handily), but then suddenly, for no apparent reason, shitting the bed yesterday?

Something has to explain it.
Butt Bielema. That explains a lot. Personnel mismatch. He switched to a 4-3 Defense. He attacked the left side of the Gophers OL with a lot fewer bodies freeing the LBs to back up. Illinois was able to plug the run lanes and disrupt TM. On offense, they figured out how to get around the Gophers D. Something like that.

We have a lot to thank Mark Coyle for. The timing of Fleck's extension and the Illinois loss rubbed a lot of folks on GH the wrong way.

Taking the Athletic Department in its totality, there is a lot to be happy about.

I am over it after my disgruntled posts. Now, it is time to move on.

We have a lot to thank Mark Coyle for. The timing of Fleck's extension and the Illinois loss rubbed a lot of folks on GH the wrong way.

Taking the Athletic Department in its totality, there is a lot to be happy about.

If the Gophers manage to win the next 3 games, they'll be building a statue of Fleck outside the stadium, and a bunch of these posters won't be seen again until August

If the Gophers manage to win the next 3 games, they'll be building a statue of Fleck outside the stadium, and a bunch of these posters won't be seen again until August
Bring us a Big Ten West title, or we will get the tar and feathers ready.

my feeling on Coyle hasn't changed. He may be a very good AD for the behind-the-scenes stuff- finances, managing people, relationships with coaches, etc.

But Coyle is not and never will be good in public settings - especially interviews. that is NOT a fatal flaw.

but it does mean that the 'power dynamic' is altered. at a lot of schools, the AD is the top dog in the athletic dep't. He or She is more out-front and visible. at MN, Fleck becomes more of the top dog by default because the AD is hiding behind the potted plant on the side of the stage. that may be good - in some aspects - for Fleck, but I wonder how some of the other coaches feel about the situation.

Coyle is about eight million times better than Joel "van down by the river" Maturi.

OMG I just watched this sketch on YouTube this week and it still holds up amazingly well! All time classic.
It really does. Farley was a comedic legend. And I still find it incredible that Maturi was the inspiration for the Matt Foley character. (Farley's brother has since confirmed it.)

He seems to value stability over all else.

Fleck has undoubtedly been good at some things. He cleaned up the off field issues and has done ok on the field. But lack of consistent winning and losing to rivals is same as it’s always been. Sort of a B- at this point. Coyle
Is happy where other ADs would want to see more wins especially against rivals.

Whalen is a local kid with a couple decent recruiting classes but that program has not progressed. No one is going to call for her head, so no headache for Coyle. Good to go.

Johnson is baffling. An absolute chancer and bottom barrel coaching move for a P5 program. Again local kid with program ties. Headache averted for the foreseeable future. People know it will be a bottom tier B10 team for at least 2 seasons. Expectations low, Coyle happy

Mozko was a good hire I think and has (a little slowly) turned the screw on getting the program back from the shambles Lucia left it in. Men’s hockey is probably the easiest gopher job to get coaches in. I can’t see turnover hear for a half decade or more.

Mark Coyle needs to start getting major heat from fans and the media. The extension was bad timing and a clear distraction for the coaching staff and some coaches didn't deserve a raise (looks at Sanford).

Coyle ended the Kill/Ckeays era because he didn't think they did a good enough job vs our rivals (Iowa and Wisconsin) and he gave his guy a seven year extension, hasn't played Wisconsin or Iowa yet this season and is 1 - 7 vs them. I like Fleck but i even stated at the start of the season he HAS to beat one of these two teams this year and that looks doubtful with Morgan and Sandord.

And let's not forget, he fired the men's basketball coach (needed to happen), said "I didn't come here to be .500" and his top pick was Ben Johnson, an assistant coach on no one's search list.

His Whalen and Motzko hires haven't been much better either.
Coyle didn't end the Kill/Claeys era....Kill ended the Kill/Claeys era when he "retired" due to health reasons. There was never going to be a Claeys era because Claeys was not a D1 head coach and was never going to be a D1 head coach.

I am not a huge follower of hockey but how exactly has the Motzko hire not been a good one? Didn't they win the Big Ten Tournament last year and advance to second round of the NCAA tournament?

Butt Bielema. That explains a lot. Personnel mismatch. He switched to a 4-3 Defense. He attacked the left side of the Gophers OL with a lot fewer bodies freeing the LBs to back up. Illinois was able to plug the run lanes and disrupt TM. On offense, they figured out how to get around the Gophers D. Something like that.
I thought Fleck had said it the other way around, that they switched to a 3-4?

Or something.

3-4's were created, IIRC, to destroy the very popular and difficult to stop veer option, back in the day.

They're really good, often, at stopping a power running team, because more smaller, flowing guys (LB's and stand-up DE's) can run around and clog things up.

Wisc has run a 3-4 that does this type of thing, for a long time. So wouldn't surprise me if Bielema decreed "this is what we're doing this week, I know how to stop them, this worked in Madison".

I thought Fleck had said it the other way around, that they switched to a 3-4?

Or something.

3-4's were created, IIRC, to destroy the very popular and difficult to stop veer option, back in the day.

They're really good, often, at stopping a power running team, because more smaller, flowing guys (LB's and stand-up DE's) can run around and clog things up.

Wisc has run a 3-4 that does this type of thing, for a long time. So wouldn't surprise me if Bielema decreed "this is what we're doing this week, I know how to stop them, this worked in Madison".
Illinois runs a 3-4 but they didn't just switch to it prior to our game.

If Coyle deserves heat I'd sure hate to be the Michigan St. AD after the Tucker extension and today's MSU performance.

Ben Johnson is now 4-0 in an early season. PJ has one game left in the 2021 season and is still in contention for a Big Ten West title.

Coyle deserves heat for this?

Clearly, you don't understand a certain subset of modern sports 'fans'.

Here's the thing: this particular type get their rocks off by bitching and complaining. Sometimes, it seems to be all they live for.

Top Bottom