Coyle Deserves some heat

OK.

But then how do you explain beating @Purdue, Nebraska, Maryland, and @NW (handily), but then suddenly, for no apparent reason, shitting the bed yesterday?

Something has to explain it.

I think contract was more likely to be a distraction for the coaches than the players.

Kicker missed kicks because of contract?
Morgan holds ball too long because of contract?
Wideouts can’t create seperation because of contract?
Doubtful

Mediocre (at best) game plan because of contract distractions? Maybe you can get me on that one
My point was that action made it a bigger deal than it should be. Fleck could have downplayed it and said the focus needs to be on "the Illinois Championship Season" not that he's going to make $5M more, but he didn't.

My point was that action made it a bigger deal than it should be. Fleck could have downplayed it and said the focus needs to be on "the Illinois Championship Season" not that he's going to make $5M more, but he didn't.
That’s what I would prefer too. But he may have been making a show of it for recruiting reasons. I don’t get recruiting

Oh, come on, seriously?
People use fleck rumors all the time to negative recruit. So yes….it could’ve been a strategy. I didn’t say I agree it’s a good strategy. I don’t think they handled it well.
They should’ve signed the contract announced it via a written press release.

They should’ve called it a 2 year extension not a 7 year extension.

There are players he's recruiting right now, that if they had waited until after the season to announce the extension, it would have been too late?

OR, Fleck could've just told the recruits privately?

Hmmm ...

People use fleck rumors all the time to negative recruit. So yes….it could’ve been a strategy. I didn’t say I agree it’s a good strategy. I don’t think they handled it well.
They should’ve signed the contract announced it via a written press release.

They should’ve called it a 2 year extension not a 7 year extension.
Sorry, that makes no sense it didn't have anything to do with recruiting.

Last edited:

Sorry, that makes no sense it did have anything to do with recruiting.
If people are negative recruiting you by saying you are going to leave, making a huge deal about signing a contract to stay long term does make sense.

not saying it’s smart, but that may have been the thinking. Why else do they make it a huge deal?
If you think they did it to get great press you basically are saying that the U of M PR people don’t understand twin cities media

If people are negative recruiting you by saying you are going to leave, making a huge deal about signing a contract to stay long term does make sense.

not saying it’s smart, but that may have been the thinking. Why else do they make it a huge deal?
If you think they did it to get great press you basically are saying that the U of M PR people don’t understand twin cities media
My comments were about signing it in front of the team, not the extension.

I think contract was more likely to be a distraction for the coaches than the players.

Kicker missed kicks because of contract?
Morgan holds ball too long because of contract?
Wideouts can’t create seperation because of contract?
Doubtful

Mediocre (at best) game plan because of contract distractions? Maybe you can get me on that one
Trickett's downslide has been one of the most disappoint things about this team this season. It started out with so much promise. Wow. Having a kicker you don't have complete faith in literally changes how you call plays when you cross midfield. Way, way too many missed opportunities and points left on the field.

Two years ago he gave an extension and went out and beat Penn State.

The OC is the problem on this team, but I don’t think an in season change will happen at 4-2/6-3. We’ll have to play out the season and see what happens

Whalen has a top 10 recruiting class and Johnson isn’t expected to win four a couple of years while laying a foundation.

Northwestern and Iowa show why you build stability in coaching. Coyle is following that plan.

Trickett's downslide has been one of the most disappoint things about this team this season. It started out with so much promise. Wow. Having a kicker you don't have complete faith in literally changes how you call plays when you cross midfield. Way, way too many missed opportunities and points left on the field.
Yeah. And it really doesn’t make sense why we play for field goals with that kind of inconsistency from the K position.

The OC is the problem on this team, but I don’t think an in season change will happen at 4-2/6-3. We’ll have to play out the season and see what happens

Whalen has a top 10 recruiting class and Johnson isn’t expected to win four a couple of years while laying a foundation.

Northwestern and Iowa show why you build stability in coaching. Coyle is following that plan.
Right, with Fleck. Makes sense.

Now we just need to purge the nepotism out of Fleck.

Yes and no. Coyle hung on to Richard too long and I can see how some might feel the same thing starting to happen if this season, where Fleck says this is the best team he has ever had, ends up 7-5 with a bowl game in Detroit.

Yes and no. Coyle hung on to Richard too long and I can see how some might feel the same thing starting to happen if this season, where Fleck says this is the best team he has ever had, ends up 7-5 with a bowl game in Detroit.
To be fair he said that before he knew 6 of his top 8 skill guys were going to miss significant snaps this year

Your man-crush runs deep.
On who? Autman bell and Ibrahim?
Because I would rank the skill guys:
1) Mo - out for year
2) CAB - has missed time and has played hurt
3) Wright - has missed time
4) Jackson - has missed time
5) Potts - out for season
6) brown Stephens - has been most consistent skill guy
7) Williams - out for season
8) Spann Ford maybe or Irving or Thomas? Not sure who here

Well I’m not sure what more you want me to say other than what I’ve said. The wideouts the coach recruited who were healthy weren’t good enough to run the game plan they ran yesterday and it cost them the game. And I believe the game plan stemmed from the coaches arrogance that our players were flat out better than Illinois. Then he didn’t make halftime adjustments.

but I don’t want to fire the coach.

Call it a crush if you want

We should rehire Glen! Best coach ever!
The winning % between Mason and Fleck is pretty close. I question if the recruiting under Fleck is all that much better since the winning % comparison is so close?

If the recruiting REALLY is Fleck's strength, it should translate to more wins, right?

And before the usual suspects join in with the mention of injuries... every team has them.

I'm like a lot of people here. Stop the excuses and fix the problem.

Well I’m not sure what more you want me to say other than what I’ve said. The wideouts the coach recruited who were healthy weren’t good enough to run the game plan they ran yesterday and it cost them the game. And I believe the game plan stemmed from the coaches arrogance that our players were flat out better than Illinois. Then he didn’t make halftime adjustments.

but I don’t want to fire the coach.

Call it a crush if you want
Didn't say anything about firing him. Seems each comment that's critical of him is followed by a defensive response by you.

Didn't say anything about firing him. Seems each comment that's critical of him is followed by a defensive response by you.
You don’t want to talk football?
Context is important.

you think fleck would think this is going to be a really good team with 6 of his top 7 skill guys missing significant time including the best player missing the whole season?

but then you use his statement to take a shot? But then you get defensive when someone provides context? Just trolling or what?

You don’t want to talk football?
Context is important.

you think fleck would think this is going to be a really good team with 6 of his top 7 skill guys missing significant time including the best player missing the whole season?

but then you use his statement to take a shot? But then you get defensive when someone provides context? Just trolling or what?
Good grief. So you'll be happy with 7-5, got it.

Good grief. So you'll be happy with 7-5, got it.
I already said in another thread weeks ago that this season would be a disappointment even if we won out but lost the big ten title game. Because 10-3 Minnesota doesn’t make the rose bowl and bowling green would have cost us the rose bowl.

so no, I won’t be happy with 7-5. I believe Fleck/Sanford game plan has cost us two games already this year and we are only 75% done.

We are at the point now that if we are 9-4 because we win the next 3 and then lose big ten title game, we will be fringe New Year’s Day bowl.

Well, now if we win out and lose to Ohio State we'll be 9-4. No idea how far down the bowl order we would fall.

At 10-3, beating Ohio St, obviously we're contractually obligated to go to the Rose Bowl. Big Ten probably doesn't get a CFP team, since any East team that we beat would be 11-2 at best, now.

The winning % between Mason and Fleck is pretty close. I question if the recruiting under Fleck is all that much better since the winning % comparison is so close?

If the recruiting REALLY is Fleck's strength, it should translate to more wins, right?

And before the usual suspects join in with the mention of injuries... every team has them.

I'm like a lot of people here. Stop the excuses and fix the problem.
I mean, they aren't that close.

Mason had a .400 Big Ten winning percentage (Jerry Kill also had a .400 Big Ten winning percentage). Fleck has a .475 Big Ten winning percentage.

I'd be pretty surprised if Fleck's percentage after 70 games wasn't over .500 in the Big 10.

I don't hate Mason and I think what he did here was incredibly impressive. But the program is a tick better with Fleck. Frankly, if Mason's teams were just a tick better, he never would have been canned.

Coyle part of the problem? LOL! Coyle isn't going to meddle and nick-pick his way around the campus. Observe and have discussions with the coaches? Of course! Yes players clearly didn't play as well they could have yesterday. Some want to throw them under the bus. Coyle in all this? LOL!

This post is sarcasm, right?

After awhile, I can't tell.

Bottom line... PJ ain't the answer, but Gophers likely don't have much to sell to get a top notch HC.

That's why Coyle hired a directional school coach in the first place. If you hire someone from a Southern/Eastern/Northern/Western place, you probably didn't have many options.
And yet you want to stick with Fleck, that makes a lot of sense.

Top Bottom