Coyle Deserves some heat

SkiUMah'ed

Reaction score
Mark Coyle needs to start getting major heat from fans and the media. The extension was bad timing and a clear distraction for the coaching staff and some coaches didn't deserve a raise (looks at Sanford).

Coyle ended the Kill/Ckeays era because he didn't think they did a good enough job vs our rivals (Iowa and Wisconsin) and he gave his guy a seven year extension, hasn't played Wisconsin or Iowa yet this season and is 1 - 7 vs them. I like Fleck but i even stated at the start of the season he HAS to beat one of these two teams this year and that looks doubtful with Morgan and Sandord.

And let's not forget, he fired the men's basketball coach (needed to happen), said "I didn't come here to be .500" and his top pick was Ben Johnson, an assistant coach on no one's search list.

His Whalen and Motzko hires haven't been much better either.

These sort of losses sure do bring out the morons. :ROFLMAO:
You can make an argument the announcement was not a distraction? They spent practice time talking about it.
I'm fine with the deal, but announce it after the season. I'm not fine with only $350k to improve assistant coaches when you have to divide by double figures and the head coach makes $5 million.
Talking about money is distracting to workers, players, everybody.

Mark Coyle needs to start getting major heat from fans and the media. The extension was bad timing and a clear distraction for the coaching staff and some coaches didn't deserve a raise (looks at Sanford).

Coyle ended the Kill/Ckeays era because he didn't think they did a good enough job vs our rivals (Iowa and Wisconsin) and he gave his guy a seven year extension, hasn't played Wisconsin or Iowa yet this season and is 1 - 7 vs them. I like Fleck but i even stated at the start of the season he HAS to beat one of these two teams this year and that looks doubtful with Morgan and Sandord.

And let's not forget, he fired the men's basketball coach (needed to happen), said "I didn't come here to be .500" and his top pick was Ben Johnson, an assistant coach on no one's search list.

Don’t worry, sir. I’m sure Coyle will spring back from your spirited and very severe dressing down! 😂

It was a bad day to be a Gopher fan, I’ll grant you…a real tough bounce for Fleck, Coyle, the team and everyone who saw the game. But, next Saturday, maybe the Gopher will re-coil down in Iowa City!

Last edited:

You think Coyle deserves heat for giving a two year extension to a coach with an 8% raise during 5% inflation?

??

A quick summary of thread titles leading the board today tells me that those to blame for losing to 2Beez are:

--Coyle for bad timing
--OC (obvs)
--Tanner
--Gopher coaches, in general

PJ gets contract extension.

??

A quick summary of thread titles leading the board today tells me that those to blame for losing to 2Beez are:

--Coyle for bad timing
--OC (obvs)
--Tanner
--Gopher coaches, in general

PJ gets contract extension.
Fighting Belima was able to stop by at Fogo de chao. That energize him and creative.

FB season is not over which is not obvious when you read GH after an ugly loss. I get it , it ruined a beautiful FB day today for me and my family. It's too early to know if Whalen and Motzko will ultimately be successful. Whalen signed 4 of the top 5 MN players for 22 'and that class has a top 20 recruiting class.

Coyle ended the Kill/Claeys era because he didn't think they did a good enough job vs our rivals (Iowa and Wisconsin) and he gave his guy a seven year extension, hasn't played Wisconsin or Iowa yet this season and is 1 - 7 vs them. I like Fleck but i even stated at the start of the season he HAS to beat one of these two teams this year and that looks doubtful with Morgan and Sanford.

Sure let's can Sanford -- but I don't think you're really on base here. We extended Fleck the week of the Penn State game, why didn't we lose that game? I don't watch women's basketball but isn't Whalen doing well on the recruiting front? Lastly are you comparing the Motzko hire to the Ben Johnson hire 🤔?

ou can make an argument the announcement was not a distraction? They spent practice time talking about it.
I'm fine with the deal, but announce it after the season.
Part of that announcement is to help solidify the recruiting... now other schools can't as easily tell recruits "you don't want to go to Minneosta, Fleck is going to USC (or LSU or wherever.)"

You think Coyle deserves heat for giving a two year extension to a coach with an 8% raise during 5% inflation?
This post is sarcasm, right?

After awhile, I can't tell.

Bottom line... PJ ain't the answer, but Gophers likely don't have much to sell to get a top notch HC.

That's why Coyle hired a directional school coach in the first place. If you hire someone from a Southern/Eastern/Northern/Western place, you probably didn't have many options.

This post is sarcasm, right?

After awhile, I can't tell.

Bottom line... PJ ain't the answer, but Gophers likely don't have much to sell to get a top notch HC.

That's why Coyle hired a directional school coach in the first place. If you hire someone from a Southern/Eastern/Northern/Western place, you probably didn't have many options.
We should rehire Glen! Best coach ever!

A lot of expectations after a loss like this is good if the Gophers ever want to build a consistent winning program but building a big time program is a huge challenge in todays college football environment. Fleck may not be the best coach in the country but who does the Gopher fan base expect to come in and turn it into a national power? I think someone like Fleck is about as good as they are going to get it's hard to recruit top talent with a small fan base like Minnesota.

Coyle ended the Kill/Ckeays era because he didn't think they did a good enough job vs our rivals (Iowa and Wisconsin) and he gave his guy a seven year extension, hasn't played Wisconsin or Iowa yet this season and is 1 - 7 vs them. I like Fleck but i even stated at the start of the season he HAS to beat one of these two teams this year and that looks doubtful with Morgan and Sandord..

This just isn't true. Kill ended his own career here, and Claeys was fired because he's not a HC.

You can make an argument the announcement was not a distraction? They spent practice time talking about it.
I'm fine with the deal, but announce it after the season. I'm not fine with only $350k to improve assistant coaches when you have to divide by double figures and the head coach makes $5 million.

Distraction? You think they spent any significant practice mulling over it?

This is a silly take.

A lot of expectations after a loss like this is good if the Gophers ever want to build a consistent winning program but building a big time program is a huge challenge in todays college football environment. Fleck may not be the best coach in the country but who does the Gopher fan base expect to come in and turn it into a national power? I think someone like Fleck is about as good as they are going to get it's hard to recruit top talent with a small fan base like Minnesota.
Fleck doesn't need to be best in country but he does need to learn and change his best. Saying we will evaluate everything except the QB is not learning. It's stagnant thinking.

I am not a Coyle fan at all but, to be fair, he had Brian Dutcher ready to come here but Gable said he couldn't hire him cause of a certain genetic trait. Coyle's hands were tied.

This just isn't true. Kill ended his own career here, and Claeys was fired because he's not a HC.
Kill “retired” and Claeys made the gophers be in the limelight for all the wrong reasons.

Claeys was fired for non football related reasons. And he would’ve been by 100% of athletic directors in the same situation. The guy publicly embarrassed the university

I am not a Coyle fan at all but, to be fair, he had Brian Dutcher ready to come here but Gable said he couldn't hire him cause of a certain genetic trait. Coyle's hands were tied.
I think Ben Johnson could surprise us, probably not this year but in the future.

I think Ben Johnson could surprise us, probably not this year but in the future.
I like Ben Johnson and wish him nothing but the best! I would LOVE to see Gopher basketball good again. I was in the student section for every game of '97. I want that excitement back! :)

Like I said back when it was announced:

gold star, MVP, incredible job by Fleck's agent.

Literal perfect timing, to pull off an extension.

I believe Fleck even signed the contract in front of the team.

I'm fine with the deal, but announce it after the season.
I was glad that it wasn't a drawn out deal, in public, where both sides were saying they were "working on it". That it seemed to get done quickly, and behind closed doors during whatever the actual negotiating period was, was good.

But you are right here, in the way it was handled at the end.

I believe Fleck even signed the contract in front of the team.
I think contract was more likely to be a distraction for the coaches than the players.

Kicker missed kicks because of contract?
Morgan holds ball too long because of contract?
Wideouts can’t create seperation because of contract?
Doubtful

Mediocre (at best) game plan because of contract distractions? Maybe you can get me on that one

Top Bottom