Coyle: “I did not come to Minnesota to be .500.”

.534 overall for his career here so .500 is pretty close. For an overall record of a Big Ten program in the 21st century, only Northwestern, PSU, Nebraska, and Rutgers have been worse (Minnesota's usual Weakling Wednesday comrades during Pitino's tenure). Rutgers does seem to be showing real improvement, so we'll see if that lasts. Certainly we know that Hoiberg has at least the potential to do better.

So, the essential question is: Is an average league placement of 10th good enough for the program? Easy to say "no" to that. But, after Pitino, it would be harder for me to say "no" to an average league placement of 7th or maybe even 8th.
If you just accept Hoiberg is trending positive (past season records aside), see a couple of key recruits, including juco center Blaise Keita and the 5 star PG, Coyle absolutely needs to get this hire right, as there's risk Gophers slip further. Rutgers already doing much better.

Our overall record the last two years is 2 games under .500. It's not that deep.
Was Coyle talking conf games or overall?

Our non-conf is a lot of low-majors that pad the overall, no?

If you just accept Hoiberg is trending positive (past season records aside), see a couple of key recruits, including juco center Blaise Keita and the 5 star PG, Coyle absolutely needs to get this hire right, as there's risk Gophers slip further. Rutgers already doing much better.
Not every team is trending up. Penn State is down from where they were last year. I doubt Michigan will be this good again. Iowa will probably take a step back. MSU will be better. Illinois is probably there to stay though.

"I did not come to Minnesota to NOT turn on the heating Coyles!!"

Not every team is trending up. Penn State is down from where they were last year. I doubt Michigan will be this good again. Iowa will probably take a step back. MSU will be better. Illinois is probably there to stay though.
AKA "strong ass offer"
I think of that line every single time I see him on the LSU sideline.

Was Coyle talking conf games or overall?

Our non-conf is a lot of low-majors that pad the overall, no?

Yes, just like mostly everyone else, although the Gophers put a surprising number of power conference teams in there during the 2019 and 2020 seasons. That worked out in 2019 because they were by some strange coincidence almost all bottom tier teams from their conferences that year. Didn't work out so well in 2020 though as the Gophers finished only 7-4 in non-conference.

Michigan has top rated recruiting class in country coming in next season. the conference is loaded with talent and only getting better. This is a big time career defining hire for Coyle.

For Penn State, it should get worse next year. Take a look at transfer portal and sort by school.

D1 transfers 2021

So, if Coyle is setting .500 as the standard (assuming he is talking about .500 in conference play) -
that means Coyle is putting himself on the spot along with the new coach.

If we get 3 or 4 years down the line and the Gophers are still at or below .500 in conference games, will Coyle accept responsibility for not reaching his own goals?

My cynical nature suggests No - but we shall see.

So, if Coyle is setting .500 as the standard (assuming he is talking about .500 in conference play) -

If we get 3 or 4 years down the line and the Gophers are still at or below .500 in conference games, will Coyle accept responsibility for not reaching his own goals?

I don't think he's talking about conference play. Pitino was a bit over .500 overall here.

If Coyle is talking about only in conference play, then he's crazy to spout that kind of line in the sand.

He never said he in conference.
nor did any person hearing him think he meant any team at or below .500 would lead to a firing. He wasn’t speaking literally. He is saying they need to be better than mediocre

He never said he in conference.
nor did any person hearing him think he meant any team at or below .500 would lead to a firing. He wasn’t speaking literally. He is saying they need to be better than mediocre
Pretty sure he means that we have to be better than mediocre.

Good for Coyle, but what took you so long?

I don't think he's talking about conference play. Pitino was a bit over .500 overall here.

If Coyle is talking about only in conference play, then he's crazy to spout that kind of line in the sand.
Clearly Coyle needs to brush up on his Minnesotan. He should have said, "I came here to be above average, just like all the children in Lake Woebegon."

I wouldn't be too hard on Pitino's recruiting. Pretty hard to recruit to Minneapolis and I fear it's going to get much harder.

Why would it be hard to recruit to Minneapolis?
Regardless, it should be getting more favorable: top notch training facilities and more, better local and regional talent. And judging from my daughter's college experience, a great place to go to school.

Top Bottom