Coyle: “I did not come to Minnesota to be .500.”

agree with others. his signing now holds massively more weight. if that's your attitude, you have to hire with the best then and pay them as such

Awesome. He was massively disappointed with 35 %. Bosses should fire employees that do a terrible job.

OK, but how does he feel about .600? (about the league average). If we have a coach with an overall winning percentage around that after six years (like Tubby), maybe we shouldn't be so quick to fire him this time.

.500 would be an improvement.

Actually, overall, Pitino was slightly better than that. Of course, well below that in conference. .500 in conference would be a substantial improvement.

OK, but how does he feel about .600? (about the league average). If we have a coach with an overall winning percentage around that after six years (like Tubby), maybe we shouldn't be so quick to fire him this time.
Tubby and Pitino were nearly mirrors of themselves.

It would be interesting to see what level athlete the potential coaches recruited. Did they coach up? Did they select athletes to fit their system, etc.

The Gophers have been 38-58 (.396) in conference during Coyle's 5 years as AD and he suddenly has an epiphany about not settling for .500? What was he actually looking at?
Our overall record the last two years is 2 games under .500. It's not that deep.

Fleck was the big name on the football coaching market when they targeted him and went out and signed him. Motzko struggled a little in his first 2 seasons but has the Hockey team humming right now. Time will tell how things will go with Whalen.

Will be interesting to see how they handle the basketball hire.

Fleck was the big name on the football coaching market when they targeted him and went out and signed him. Motzko struggled a little in his first 2 seasons but has the Hockey team humming right now. Time will tell how things will go with Whalen.

One way or another, the Whalen hire was splashy. I think he's a splashy hire kind of guy.

Unfortunately she an OJT. But watch Whalen when on Big 10 network her team seemed to improve game to game. Also like the way she'll sit and player who aren't running her system. Doesn't seem to worry about bruising egos. Giving her 2 more years to right the ship.

He started getting calls last night? You'd think the agents of interested coaches would have been calling him weeks ago. You've got to hand it to him though for the way in which Richard was "fired". If he had outright fired him when we lost to the Buckeye's, the headlines would have been all about the $1.7M we were paying to fire the coach. Coyle dodged that bullet perfectly.

He started getting calls last night? You'd think the agents of interested coaches would have been calling him weeks ago. You've got to hand it to him though for the way in which Richard was "fired". If he had outright fired him when we lost to the Buckeye's, the headlines would have been all about the $1.7M we were paying to fire the coach. Coyle dodged that bullet perfectly.
Did you think he would say "I've been getting calls for weeks. Deal is done!" even if it was true?

Unfortunately she an OJT. But watch Whalen when on Big 10 network her team seemed to improve game to game. Also like the way she'll sit and player who aren't running her system. Doesn't seem to worry about bruising egos. Giving her 2 more years to right the ship.
I can hear them now... " But... but... but... Destiny Pitts!"

One way or another, the Whalen hire was splashy. I think he's a splashy hire kind of guy.
I'd like to see the splash smooth out into some consistent recruiting and winning. There is still time but the jury is still out.

Our overall record the last two years is 2 games under .500. It's not that deep.

.534 overall for his career here so .500 is pretty close. For an overall record of a Big Ten program in the 21st century, only Northwestern, PSU, Nebraska, and Rutgers have been worse (Minnesota's usual Weakling Wednesday comrades during Pitino's tenure). Rutgers does seem to be showing real improvement, so we'll see if that lasts. Certainly we know that Hoiberg has at least the potential to do better.

So, the essential question is: Is an average league placement of 10th good enough for the program? Easy to say "no" to that. But, after Pitino, it would be harder for me to say "no" to an average league placement of 7th or maybe even 8th.

Top Bottom