Coyle’s order of operations

I don't know why anyone is even talking about Tim Miles. Here's a thought: maybe the best coach for this team's future is someone nobody is thinking about.

Let's look at two Big Ten coaches who probably wouldn't have gotten much love in today's online chatter world.

Bo Ryan turned 54 in his first year at Wisconsin. He spent most of his prior head coaching time at a DIII school where he had great success. Immediately prior to going to Wisconsin, he had two underwhelming years at Wisconsin Milwaukee.

Here's a lesser example. Fran McCaffrey is no Bo Ryan but he's done a credible job at Iowa. He was 51 in his first year at Iowa. His prior coaching jobs were at not-so-illustrious places like Lehigh, UNC Greenboro, and Siena. He was quite successful at Siena and had some success at the other places. He's not the greatest recruiter but he gets more out of the players he recruits than a certain coach we all know.

The next coach doesn't have to be someone we know, doesn't have to be someone people want, and doesn't have to be a "sexy" choice. He just has to be a competent coach who has a eye for talent, an ability to get some of that talent, and an understanding of how to use that talent effectively.

I just hope Coyle fires Pitino at the end of this season and guesses right. Chances are that whoever he picks will be better.

I don't know why anyone is even talking about Tim Miles. Here's a thought: maybe the best coach for this team's future is someone nobody is thinking about.

Let's look at two Big Ten coaches who probably wouldn't have gotten much love in today's online chatter world.

Bo Ryan turned 54 in his first year at Wisconsin. He spent most of his prior head coaching time at a DIII school where he had great success. Immediately prior to going to Wisconsin, he had two underwhelming years at Wisconsin Milwaukee.

Here's a lesser example. Fran McCaffrey is no Bo Ryan but he's done a credible job at Iowa. He was 51 in his first year at Iowa. His prior coaching jobs were at not-so-illustrious places like Lehigh, UNC Greenboro, and Siena. He was quite successful at Siena and had some success at the other places. He's not the greatest recruiter but he gets more out of the players he recruits than a certain coach we all know.

The next coach doesn't have to be someone we know, doesn't have to be someone people want, and doesn't have to be a "sexy" choice. He just has to be a competent coach who has a eye for talent, an ability to get some of that talent, and an understanding of how to use that talent effectively.

I just hope Coyle fires Pitino at the end of this season and guesses right. Chances are that whoever he picks will be better.
I just turned in my app to Coyle. I guarantee a national championship in 5 years...

Simply hire the coach from the non P5 school that beats the Gophers this year. AKA the 'Kill Monson' strategy. To quote Maturi 'OMG, imagine what he could do with our talent!'

Depends on expectations.
If you expect Gopher Hoops to be at the same level as a Duke or Kentucky, you are probably going to be disappointed.
Now, if you expect Gopher Hoops to be in the upper half of the B1G and make the NCAA tournament - let's say at least 7 out of 10 years - and advance to a sweet 16 once or twice in those 10 years, I would say that is much more reasonable.

It is not impossible. It will take the right combination of circumstances. the Right coach, support from the Administration, and maybe catch a few breaks.

Again - two basic avenues:
1. recruit the best players in the country, ala Duke or Kentucky, OR
2. recruit the best players you can convince to go to MN, and put them in a system that works.

If you want to know who the right coach is, I don't have a clue. That's where the AD earns his money.

I feel like Virginia and Texas Tech weren't exactly basketball bluebloods, so why not Minnesota?

Depends on expectations.
If you expect Gopher Hoops to be at the same level as a Duke or Kentucky, you are probably going to be disappointed.
Now, if you expect Gopher Hoops to be in the upper half of the B1G and make the NCAA tournament - let's say at least 7 out of 10 years - and advance to a sweet 16 once or twice in those 10 years, I would say that is much more reasonable.

It is not impossible. It will take the right combination of circumstances. the Right coach, support from the Administration, and maybe catch a few breaks.

Again - two basic avenues:
1. recruit the best players in the country, ala Duke or Kentucky, OR
2. recruit the best players you can convince to go to MN, and put them in a system that works.

If you want to know who the right coach is, I don't have a clue. That's where the AD earns his money.

It's ridiculous if you don't think Minnesota has the potential to do much better than that if we make a good hire. A sweet 16 once or twice in 10 years? Seriously?

It's ridiculous if you don't think Minnesota has the potential to do much better than that if we make a good hire. A sweet 16 once or twice in 10 years? Seriously?

would be an upgrade over past 30 years

Im thinkin we should probably give Pitino the rest of the year to see how it goes. Had the same discussion last year.

Craig Smith and John Wooden are both chomping at the bit to coach gophs.....another genius thread

Im thinkin we should probably give Pitino the rest of the year to see how it goes. Had the same discussion last year.

Of course. If he can pull it out, bully for him. If not, he should suffer through it like the rest of us.

Ryan Saunders would be a perfect fit if the Timberwolves could start tanking and maybe KAT gets traded or something.

Not calling for Pitino's head or anything like the rest of you guys but it's time for a change. If we can get somebody better that is.

Last edited:

Meant Ryan idk why I said Flip. Corrected it.
I figured haha. I actually think that Ryan would be a great college coach, he really relates to his players and I think would do very well recruiting. I think he's destined to stay in the NBA though, I think he'd be an assistant in the NBA over a college head coach.

Ryan Saunders would be a perfect fit if the Timberwolves could start tanking and maybe KAT gets traded or something.

Not calling for Pitino's head or anything like the rest of you guys but it's time for a change. If we can get somebody better that is.

So, to be clear, you want him to suck at his current job so we can hire him? Call me crazy, but if I'm hiring I'd rather choose someone who had been successful in their previous position. Perhaps that's just me.

I figured haha. I actually think that Ryan would be a great college coach, he really relates to his players and I think would do very well recruiting. I think he's destined to stay in the NBA though, I think he'd be an assistant in the NBA over a college head coach.
I'd like to see if he can get his squad to play consistently decent defense before I crown him the king of coaches. That said, I do enjoy watching their offense. I haven't studied the sets closely, but he seems to be running similar stuff that his dad ran except snappier in execution.

So, to be clear, you want him to suck at his current job so we can hire him? Call me crazy, but if I'm hiring I'd rather choose someone who had been successful in their previous position. Perhaps that's just me.
If you only suck a little as the TWolves coach- you might be pretty good. That said, I don't want Saunders if we have an open job. He has no proven track record as a college coach and that makes him a risk.

Well from what I've seen the players love him and he's been doing a pretty good job as a 1st season NBA coach so he isn't a realistic hire at this point in time.

I guess wanting him to 'suck' isn't the right word... maybe perform a little under par? I think he'd be able to recruit the local Minnesota talent extremely well personally. Having Karl-Anthony Towns love you as a coach has some weight when it comes to high schoolers believe it or not.

If you only suck a little as the TWolves coach- you might be pretty good. That said, I don't want Saunders if we have an open job. He has no proven track record as a college coach and that makes him a risk.
To be fair most hires available this year are a risk. Hell, P.J. Fleck was a risk and we all saw how that turned out. The question will be if the risk is worth taking over letting Pitino fulfill his contract. Either way as a fan I'm going to support Pitino as long as he is the coach here even if the season has gone to shit.

He has his dream job right now. He won't get fired in one year anyway. They are doing process and system over results this year. This also means they are not trading KAT.

Also the track record of NBA coaches coming to college isn't great.

Top Bottom