Covid will Save Pitino

Right, weren't the training facilities supposed to be a game changer? The bottom line is that Pitino is neither a good recruiter or bench coach. Recruit at a high level and the coaching thing has minimal impact.

Someone else posting here put it very well: "He doesn't coach well enough to outperform his recruiting and he doesn't recruit well enough to outperform his coaching."

Someone else posting here put it very well: "He doesn't coach well enough to outperform his recruiting and he doesn't recruit well enough to outperform his coaching."
I think that was built --- and we've seen this in the run of football coaches we've had that fall into these categories (for the most part). I like Richard personally and I wish him well --- but I would like to see someone new at the helm.

I don’t think it should be a requirement that the new coach somehow gets people excited.
He needs to win! Finish top 4 consistently!
Too hard? Don’t apply.

Agreed that Pitino is more than likely gone and good merit if the season ended today. But it doesnt end today, what type of finish do you think they would have to have for Coyle to not pull the trigger and move on? My guess is something like, (however unrealistic they are for how we are playing atm):
  1. Finish above .500 in the big ten (counting b1g tourney) get a 5 or 6 seed and win minimum 1 game in the tournament.
  2. Sweet 16 regardless of regular season finish or standings.
(Note these do not take into account who he may have lined up to take over) I know those 2 would not be enough for some or most on here but where do we think Coyle is at. And where do you fall?
I think a B1G tourney title or a sweet 16 appearance would guarantee his job, regardless of regular season finish. Knowing this is the gophers we’re talking about, Pitino will end up on the bubble. Under .500 in conference, a BTT semifinals run gets us in the NCAA as a 9 or 10 seed, we win one game and get rolled by a 1 or 2 seed.

Last edited:

Yet you cited cheating programs first on your list!!!!!!

Cant make it up......
Only as a point to the fandom issue. Only added others when the first oners were disqualified by you even though they have far more loyal fans then we do. You never addressed the programs that won a lot that did not cheat, that have rabid sellout crowds and a national profile, fans all over. This is not a college town, it has many other things that make it a great job. winning would bring new fans, a lot of the older former crowd is gone. This is my assessment, my take. You do not have to stalk me through the board, unless of course you must !

Only as a point to the fandom issue. Only added others when the first oners were disqualified by you even though they have far more loyal fans then we do. You never addressed the programs that won a lot that did not cheat, that have rabid sellout crowds and a national profile, fans all over. This is not a college town, it has many other things that make it a great job. winning would bring new fans, a lot of the older former crowd is gone. This is my assessment, my take. You do not have to stalk me through the board, unless of course you must !
I guess you dont understand that FANDOM directly relates to winning? And cheating, many times, greatly enhances WINNING.

1. Why did you start with winning teams that are known cheaters? Why did you then pivot away from those teams and avoid this question?
2. Again, YOUR first list on this topic was FILLED with programs that YOU have said are CHEATERS. And YOU have repeatedly said YOU DESPISE cheaters, not the way you were raised, etc. Yet your own response, first response, was filled with CHEATING TEAMS!!!!! And now you attempt to spin away from YOUR OWN list!!!
3. You love to say "its just my opinion". Now, others cant have opinions!!! BADGER determines what is an opinion and what isn't!! Cant make it up.

I agreed with the discussion around those programs have "better" fandoms. I am pointing out the reasons WHY those programs have the fandom, while you ignore the VERY THING you DESPISE!!!!

You had no time for bringing Pitino SR here - but you had absolutely NO PROBLEM with beginning your list with programs that CHEAT to win!!!!!

BTW - you also ran away from the dirty Davison as well. There is no stalking, BADGER, simply highlighting the obvious trash in some posts.

Built I have to say I agree that the reach and expansiveness of our fanbase doesn’t compare to the big boys but our in arena atmosphere is as good as it gets “when we are competitive”. I have been to over 50 college arenas including all big ten arenas. The only atmospheres I would say are hands down better that I’ve seen are Kansas, duke, Indiana, Michigan state, Purdue, and probably Kentucky. That being said, I get your point. I just think we have enough loyal fans here to support a competitive team with consistent sellouts. For football and hockey, this is a pro town, I can’t say the same for hoops. I think consistent competitive college bball would make the barn rock again.

Why should COVID save Pitino? There are plenty of coaches moving around in major sports during the pandemic.

COVID should have no impact on hiring or firing.

Built I have to say I agree that the reach and expansiveness of our fanbase doesn’t compare to the big boys but our in arena atmosphere is as good as it gets “when we are competitive”. I have been to over 50 college arenas including all big ten arenas. The only atmospheres I would say are hands down better that I’ve seen are Kansas, duke, Indiana, Michigan state, Purdue, and probably Kentucky. That being said, I get your point. I just think we have enough loyal fans here to support a competitive team with consistent sellouts. For football and hockey, this is a pro town, I can’t say the same for hoops. I think consistent competitive college bball would make the barn rock again.
Great post. Agree with all of it but would ad UVA for atmosphere. Put it on your bucket list. Very cool place. Love the barn when it is full and we new simply good, it rocks.

I guess you dont understand that FANDOM directly relates to winning? And cheating, many times, greatly enhances WINNING.

1. Why did you start with winning teams that are known cheaters? Why did you then pivot away from those teams and avoid this question?
2. Again, YOUR first list on this topic was FILLED with programs that YOU have said are CHEATERS. And YOU have repeatedly said YOU DESPISE cheaters, not the way you were raised, etc. Yet your own response, first response, was filled with CHEATING TEAMS!!!!! And now you attempt to spin away from YOUR OWN list!!!
3. You love to say "its just my opinion". Now, others cant have opinions!!! BADGER determines what is an opinion and what isn't!! Cant make it up.

I agreed with the discussion around those programs have "better" fandoms. I am pointing out the reasons WHY those programs have the fandom, while you ignore the VERY THING you DESPISE!!!!

You had no time for bringing Pitino SR here - but you had absolutely NO PROBLEM with beginning your list with programs that CHEAT to win!!!!!

BTW - you also ran away from the dirty Davison as well. There is no stalking, BADGER, simply highlighting the obvious trash in some posts.
Did not pivot. Started with several programs that cheat that have huge fan bases, passionate. But when you wanted non cheaters I simply added them. You have your opinion, I recognize that. Not saying mine is better, readers can decide for themselves. Did not back away from Davison, I have called out his play as deplorable several times and called for his suspension when I thought he was over the line.

Did not pivot. Started with several programs that cheat that have huge fan bases, passionate. But when you wanted non cheaters I simply added them. You have your opinion, I recognize that. Not saying mine is better, readers can decide for themselves. Did not back away from Davison, I have called out his play as deplorable several times and called for his suspension when I thought he was over the line.
Pivot away from WHY and HOW they got their fandom - CHEATING.And, YOU DESPISE cheating, yet list those teams first !!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If you truly despised cheating, you would not include cheaters on your lis, at all. Yet there they are.....

Me? I recognize the IMPACT cheating has had on the SUCCESS of BB programs and the sad DECLINE of the MN program from the late 90's, when The Barn was THE PLACE TO BE. Fans were plentiful, casual fans were cheering and watching games, wearing MN gear.

It doesn't appear that CHEATING is a factor in your assessment of WHY and HOW. I wonder why......

BTW BADGER - you were SILENT on Davison and his antics until some posters called for him to be kicked out. Dont rewrite your history of support on the lil feller

Pivot away from WHY and HOW they got their fandom - CHEATING.And, YOU DESPISE cheating, yet list those teams first !!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If you truly despised cheating, you would not include cheaters on your lis, at all. Yet there they are.....

Me? I recognize the IMPACT cheating has had on the SUCCESS of BB programs and the sad DECLINE of the MN program from the late 90's, when The Barn was THE PLACE TO BE. Fans were plentiful, casual fans were cheering and watching games, wearing MN gear.

It doesn't appear that CHEATING is a factor in your assessment of WHY and HOW. I wonder why......

BTW BADGER - you were SILENT on Davison and his antics until some posters called for him to be kicked out. Dont rewrite your history of support on the lil feller
Simply not true on Davison. I had a conversation with a former Gopher player who was actually sticking up for Davison for his all out effort . I took the other side and said he should be suspended before it was ever a topic here.Very much despise the cheating programs, after all I take great pride in my friend playing it clean and taking over that conference playing it straight, the only way he ever would. In pre scouting prospects I despised when kids would leave the state of Virginia to play against Louisville, Duke and UNC. Already recgonized several times the effect cheating had on winning and sustaining huge crowds. Hell, we witnessed it here. The times the Barn was most rocking with winning was when we cheated our ass off. But several programs have a die hard and large following without cheating and win huge.

Simply not true on Davison. I had a conversation with a former Gopher player who was actually sticking up for Davison for his all out effort . I took the other side and said he should be suspended before it was ever a topic here.Very much despise the cheating programs, after all I take great pride in my friend playing it clean and taking over that conference playing it straight, the only way he ever would. In pre scouting prospects I despised when kids would leave the state of Virginia to play against Louisville, Duke and UNC. Already recgonized several times the effect cheating had on winning and sustaining huge crowds. Hell, we witnessed it here. The times the Barn was most rocking with winning was when we cheated our ass off. But several programs have a die hard and large following without cheating and win huge.
Very darn few.

on Pitino and recruiting, I really think it's this simple.

Recruiting is selling - selling yourself, the school, the facilities, the program.

And selling is closing. Can you close the sale? I've worked with people who were great salespeople, and all of them were closers. Push through or counter the objections, and close the sale.

Pitino is not a closer. that simple. He doesn't get the Cadillac and he doesn't get the set of steak knives. and 3rd prize is "You're Fired!"

(one of the all-time great movie scenes.....)

Assuming there isn't an abrupt turnaround this year, there's no way COVID saves Pitino for one reason. When the fans come back next year there won't be anyone on the roster to be excited about. The incoming class has no impact players. Carr, Robbins, Johnson and Gach are leaving. The program desperately needs fresh blood.

Honestly if the gophers go 3-0 in the next 7 days they are back in the top 25 and pitinos job is proabably safe. I just don’t have confidence in going better than 1-2 in the next 3

Honestly if the gophers go 3-0 in the next 7 days they are back in the top 25 and pitinos job is proabably safe. I just don’t have confidence in going better than 1-2 in the next 3
I think 2-1 is a must if we want any chance of staying above the bubble talk. We get Purdue at home and should be hungry to follow up that stinker. Maryland was not impressive they just caught us playing the worst game of the season...but its on the road. 1-2 wouldn't surprise me and 3-0 wouldn't surprise me. Who. The. Hell. Knows.

Assuming there isn't an abrupt turnaround this year, there's no way COVID saves Pitino for one reason. When the fans come back next year there won't be anyone on the roster to be excited about. The incoming class has no impact players. Carr, Robbins, Johnson and Gach are leaving. The program desperately needs fresh blood.
What makes you say this? Robbins is playing relatively close to home, starting for a B10 team. Gach was starting, and could be again if he gains his confidence back. Surely, with a new coach, whatever doghouse Gach got himself in would be gone. Johnson was playing for a MAC team, and is now starting for a B10 team. He's not high enough impact that a blue blood is going to poach him for a plug-n-play starter for his super senior year. I'd have a hard time believing he is going anywhere, unless it's professionally (in or out of basketball). I would agree with most that Carr is gone no matter what happens. Even with all but Carr staying, that still leaves a somewhat uninspiring roster that will almost certainly be worse than 20/21. Which means if they don't can Pitino this year, it's highly likely he won't survive next year. So then, what's the point of keeping him? The trajectory of this program is not good.

I think 2-1 is a must if we want any chance of staying above the bubble talk.
5-3 the rest of the way makes us a lock.
Without Nebraska make up....

Even 1-2 only means you need to win 4 of the last 5 that includes:
@ penn state
Northwestern
Rutgers
@indiana
Illinois

1-2 makes bubble much more likely. But doesn’t mean we can’t avoid the bubble.

There is a lot of wiggle room for the gophers. They’ve only won 2 games this year. But they’ve only lost 5 games this year

What makes you say this? Robbins is playing relatively close to home, starting for a B10 team. Gach was starting, and could be again if he gains his confidence back. Surely, with a new coach, whatever doghouse Gach got himself in would be gone. Johnson was playing for a MAC team, and is now starting for a B10 team. He's not high enough impact that a blue blood is going to poach him for a plug-n-play starter for his super senior year. I'd have a hard time believing he is going anywhere, unless it's professionally (in or out of basketball). I would agree with most that Carr is gone no matter what happens. Even with all but Carr staying, that still leaves a somewhat uninspiring roster that will almost certainly be worse than 20/21. Which means if they don't can Pitino this year, it's highly likely he won't survive next year. So then, what's the point of keeping him? The trajectory of this program is not good.
Johnson is a senior. Carr and Robbins will leave to try for the NBA or get paid to play in a high overseas league. I think Gach is going to want to get paid next year as well. The point is that the cupboard will be bare. The team's stars will be Ihnen, Kalsheur and Mashburn Jr., if they all stay. Tough situation.

Ive been led to believe all you need to win is Kalschuer so I mean we would be set then right? ha ;)

I also think Carr/Robbins/Gach are gone, obviously Johnson as well and I would say if Pitino gets canned then Mashburn/Jarvis/Curry are out.

So I suppose that would leave Tre/Ihnen/Gabe/Mitchell/Freeman and pending Thompson/Pohto Again, 10 years ago this would be a HUGE issue, in 2021 I am not sure. The new coach dips into the transfer pool and can promise massive minutes/opportunity at a B1G school. Im not saying it would mean instant success but I also wouldnt be quite as worried about like a 7-24 type season either. You get a guy like Carlik Jones, Johnson, Robbins, and suddenly you are top 1/2 of the B1G. Big WHAT IF's for sure but its not 100% impossible.

Ive been led to believe all you need to win is Kalschuer so I mean we would be set then right? ha ;)

I also think Carr/Robbins/Gach are gone, obviously Johnson as well and I would say if Pitino gets canned then Mashburn/Jarvis/Curry are out.

So I suppose that would leave Tre/Ihnen/Gabe/Mitchell/Freeman and pending Thompson/Pohto Again, 10 years ago this would be a HUGE issue, in 2021 I am not sure. The new coach dips into the transfer pool and can promise massive minutes/opportunity at a B1G school. Im not saying it would mean instant success but I also wouldnt be quite as worried about like a 7-24 type season either. You get a guy like Carlik Jones, Johnson, Robbins, and suddenly you are top 1/2 of the B1G. Big WHAT IF's for sure but its not 100% impossible.
I thought Pitino's first year would be a complete mess after we fired Tubby. I thought we would lose all our talent, and the talent we were bringing in was Sun Belt talent. It wasn't great but winning the NIT and 25 total games was a bit surprising.

If we bring in a new coach it may not turn out results like that, but it doesn't mean we won't win a game that first year.

Johnson is a senior. Carr and Robbins will leave to try for the NBA or get paid to play in a high overseas league. I think Gach is going to want to get paid next year as well. The point is that the cupboard will be bare. The team's stars will be Ihnen, Kalsheur and Mashburn Jr., if they all stay. Tough situation.
Gach get paid? Based on what he has done while at MN????

Oh my........

Let’s not forget college basketball now has free agency. So if you lose guys early, that creates openings for a lot of playing time, If you get the right transfers Year 1 of a new regime doesn’t necessarily have to mean team will suck.

Only thing that saves his job is a top 3 big ten finish and/or a Chet signing. Either is a loooonnnng reach.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Johnson come back. Assuming whomever the coach is will make a spot for him, especially since it’s assumed they’ll be able to carry more than 13 schollies next year.

Gach getting paid next year is an interesting take. He can't even start on the Gophers.

I think Robbins being back next year is at least 50/50. He's not going to get drafted in the NBA and I don't see him leaving to play in Europe.

Top Bottom