Covid will Save Pitino

The optics will not look good but ironically, from a business standpoint, you must move on.

I have never been less interested in gophers hoops and I consider myself a diehard. It may Covid related, but even after the big home Ws, it felt like fools gold. We have no identity or grit.

Can you imagine looking forward to next year? Neither can any other fan.

Coyle is supposed to the one of the great AD's, according to folks here on GH.

He is paid handsomely to LEAD.

Get the ball rolling marky.

I really think Coyle would love nothing more than to let go of Pitino he's just gotta be able to convince others that he can make that move, and I really hope they do.

The optics will not look good but ironically, from a business standpoint, you must move on.

I have never been less interested in gophers hoops and I consider myself a diehard. It may Covid related, but even after the big home Ws, it felt like fools gold. We have no identity or grit.

Can you imagine looking forward to next year? Neither can any other fan.
He would be an obvious dead coach walking. With the new transfer rule, anyone with decent options will transfer. It will make Monson's last year in 2006-2007 look like the good old days.

I’m a die hard gopher basketball fan. For me it is must watch tv and I have to say if Pitino somehow hangs on for another year, I will drop my season tickets and not watch a single minute. I’m depressed and fed up with this program.
Me as well.

Cant take any more of this garbage.

Then Coyle should resign. They will lose more in ticket sales next year then what his buyout is. By a lot.
There's been a lot of talk on the OT about voting with one's wallet. If Coyle doesn't take action after the season, it's going to feel like he doesn't care or has given up. And if he doesn't care, why should the fans?

I don’t know if I’ll keep my tickets regardless. Lot of changes in the last year. But its hard to imagine going to 18 games and watching this team. Figure like $1500 for a pair of tickets. $10-40 per game in parking, food/beer. Not to mention the time and gas. Hard to justify to watch a lousy product.

I don’t know if I’ll keep my tickets regardless. Lot of changes in the last year. But its hard to imagine going to 18 games and watching this team. Figure like $1500 for a pair of tickets. $10-40 per game in parking, food/beer. Not to mention the time and gas. Hard to justify to watch a lousy product.
It's been tough the last few years knowing in my heart of hearts that this program is going nowhere. Not even circling the drain, because going down the drain would be going somewhere. But just going around in circles at the edge of the river. There are a few nice moments from time to time but no legitimate chance at contention.

It's been tough the last few years knowing in my heart of hearts that this program is going nowhere. Not even circling the drain, because going down the drain would be going somewhere. But just going around in circles at the edge of the river. There are a few nice moments from time to time but no legitimate chance at contention.
I’m seriously considering getting season tickets for my alma mater, St. Thomas. Get in on the ground floor, watch the program grow from D1 infancy. A lot less expensive, Summit League is decent, and it’s not like Gopher games will be sellouts when I want to go watch the Gophers.

I’m seriously considering getting season tickets for my alma mater, St. Thomas. Get in on the ground floor, watch the program grow from D1 infancy. A lot less expensive, Summit League is decent, and it’s not like Gopher games will be sellouts when I want to go watch the Gophers.
If SS is considering bailing, this program is at an all time low. And I mean that in all sincerity.

Many of us simply cant take any more after decades of die hard support.

Coyle should be reading these posts and understand these are the fans that are truly the last line.....

I like your thinking - you could probably get some good seats and would be fun to watch it from the beginning.

My guess is Coyle will make a move - makes no sense to fire him now obviously, and they will reboot for next year - the key is to get someone in as quickly as possible and not have it drag on, so the new coach can try and convince the players he wants to keep to stay - he won't want all of them, just like any coach doesn't.

COVID might save Pitino but it shouldn’t.

If Pitino does survive and is coach next season there really isn’t any reason to believe things will be any different from where they are now.

Pitino will be gone after this season. Coyle said he needed to see progress this season, and this isn’t it.

COVID saved Pitino after last season, it won’t after this one.

Money talks and all AD departments took a hit this year.
The $$ for a buy out and to hire a new coach usually come from donors, tv and radio gigs.
The FB team is the engine that pulls the rest of the train and this year's FB performance does not bode well for ticket sales next year.
Coyle is in a tough spot but that is why he gets big bucks.
What he does will define his career.

It's time to go. They needed a pretty special season to keep his job IMO.

Crazy stat from Twitter.

T-Wolves have a better win percentage during Pitino's tenure than he has in B1G play.

Wolves 223-354 .386
Pitino 52-89 .369

The program is going nowhere. And I get the feeling COVID saved Richard once already.

If Coyle keeps him after this, then the message is pretty clear: They've bailed on men's hoops for the foreseeable future. They might throw their figurative hands in the air and try to use COVID as an excuse to keep him, but all that does is add further damage to the program from a fan's stand point.

Either way, the program is in bad shape. We'll find out soon enough where the U's priorities lie.

He would be an obvious dead coach walking. With the new transfer rule, anyone with decent options will transfer. It will make Monson's last year in 2006-2007 look like the good old days.
If Carr leaves to play abroad, next years Pitino Squad would be awful without a Carr level transfer

Looking at a 10-11 win kind of year with a normal schedule.
so how good do you have to be in a good year to justify that as a bad year? I’d argue you better be over .500 in the conference in a good year to be really bad in a bad year. He has done that once.

It's time to go. They needed a pretty special season to keep his job IMO.

Crazy stat from Twitter.

T-Wolves have a better win percentage during Pitino's tenure than he has in B1G play.

Wolves 223-354 .386
Pitino 52-89 .369
I would’ve moved on two years ago. But I think a top half of the conference year would save his job. He is running out of time for that though.

No way you can keep him at this point. The thing that gets me is builtbadgers was saying he knows parents that dont respect pitino as a coach. He has terrible relationship with one of the AAU programs which isnt good. I know we dont have to have any minnesotans on the roster to be good, but the relationships he has and not being respected by people and recruits in the state of minnesota cant be good for business!

Top Bottom