Covid will Save Pitino

There's been a lot of talk on the OT about voting with one's wallet. If Coyle doesn't take action after the season, it's going to feel like he doesn't care or has given up. And if he doesn't care, why should the fans?
Yeah. And I think he gets that and will make a move barring a recovery of this season. If they finish 6-2 he probably keeps his job. I don’t think that’s happening though.

No way you can keep him at this point. The thing that gets me is builtbadgers was saying he knows parents that dont respect pitino as a coach. He has terrible relationship with one of the AAU programs which isnt good. I know we dont have to have any minnesotans on the roster to be good, but the relationships he has and not being respected by people and recruits in the state of minnesota cant be good for business!

The 2022 class is absolutely loaded for in state recruiting. Firing and hiring a replacement will be essential if you want a shot at any of them still. Kids have seem to really like Mailhot from their interviews which has been a positive. It will stink if we miss out on hitting on some of this class. The AAU program stuff is so petty and annoying, but it is what it is. It's a shame, he's had two MN kids come here and go play in the NBA, which should carry some weight, but it's just not. Ryan James is on to something about Richard's ability to create long term relationships on the recruiting trail. He must be awful at it.

Yeah. And I think he gets that and will make a move barring a recovery of this season. If they finish 6-2 he probably keeps his job. I don’t think that’s happening though.

If Coyle can show the regents and other stakeholders how bleak it is, it would hopefully help motivate them to support him making a move and pay the buyout. We will see.

If Coyle can show the regents and other stakeholders how bleak it is, it would hopefully help motivate them to support him making a move and pay the buyout. We will see.
I have no reason to believe Coyle makes bad decisions on firing coaches
I have no reason to believe the regents don’t support his decisions nearly 100% (as a whole not as individual members)

I wouldn’t changed Pitino 2 years ago, but I get why a major athletics department wouldn’t want to be making football, hockey, and women’s basketball changes all at the same time. Plus, Pitino just won an ncaa tourney game...so it’s logical to give him more time if he is handling stuff well off the court. Which he is I think: I wish Pitino was more successful I like the guy.

The 2022 class is absolutely loaded for in state recruiting. Firing and hiring a replacement will be essential if you want a shot at any of them still. Kids have seem to really like Mailhot from their interviews which has been a positive. It will stink if we miss out on hitting on some of this class. The AAU program stuff is so petty and annoying, but it is what it is. It's a shame, he's had two MN kids come here and go play in the NBA, which should carry some weight, but it's just not. Ryan James is on to something about Richard's ability to create long term relationships on the recruiting trail. He must be awful at it.
That's the strange part. He seems so personable; he's a good communicator; he's got the gift of gab. It's totally unexpected that he has trouble cultivating professional relationships.

That's the strange part. He seems so personable; he's a good communicator; he's got the gift of gab. It's totally unexpected that he has trouble cultivating professional relationships.
We often see it factor described as

“I don’t know what it is, but he has it”

for pitino

“I don’t know what it is, but he doesn’t have it”

Plus his dad (apparently) is quite good at it.

We always talk about not needing the minnesota kids to win, but theres been so many good ones in minnesota. Sure your not going to get them all and we have gotten oturu and coffey, but it just doesnt make any sense anymore if you have a coach who is not respected around here and has bad relationships where kids want to go elsewhere to play for better coach. People can and would laugh at me if we were winning and would say we dont need the minnesota kids, but we arent winning and that's a huge problem. In pitino's defense minnesota has been on the bubble for 50 years. Nobody has just walked in here and made tournament year after year, but it's just time for a new movement. Just frustrating watching games we should win!

We always talk about not needing the minnesota kids to win, but theres been so many good ones in minnesota. Sure your not going to get them all and we have gotten oturu and coffey, but it just doesnt make any sense anymore if you have a coach who is not respected around here and has bad relationships where kids want to go elsewhere to play for better coach. People can and would laugh at me if we were winning and would say we dont need the minnesota kids, but we arent winning and that's a huge problem. In pitino's defense minnesota has been on the bubble for 50 years. Nobody has just walked in here and made tournament year after year, but it's just time for a new movement. Just frustrating watching games we should win!
I agree somewhat, but it's a little bit of a false equivalence characterizing Pitino as comparable to past coaches. Other than George Hanson, who resigned in shame after one season, he has the worst conference record of all (non-interim) coaches going back at least into the 1950s. This at a time when there's arguably more advantages for this program than ever, most notably a talent-rich basketball community and recruiting base. There's no question that there's untapped potential in this situation.

If SS is considering bailing, this program is at an all time low. And I mean that in all sincerity.

Many of us simply cant take any more after decades of die hard support.

Coyle should be reading these posts and understand these are the fans that are truly the last line.....
I appreciate the sentiments, BB, thank you. Being a Gopher fan definitely requires repeatedly banging our heads against the wall with the hope of eventually getting better results, but alas, pretty much every season at best is just trying to "sneak in" to the tournament. It's frustrating, and I think it's exacerbated this season by COVID.

This at a time when there's arguably more advantages for this program than ever, most notably a talent-rich basketball community and recruiting base. There's no question that there's untapped potential in this situation.

Two other significant things that prior coaches didn't enjoy (at least to the same extent):

1) first class training facilities;

2) a couple of national cable networks (BTN, FS1) who along with the ESPN channels pretty much guarantee a recruit that almost all of his games will be televised and available to a wide audience.

I agree somewhat, but it's a little bit of a false equivalence characterizing Pitino as comparable to past coaches. Other than George Hanson, who resigned in shame after one season, he has the worst conference record of all (non-interim) coaches going back at least into the 1950s. This at a time when there's arguably more advantages for this program than ever, most notably a talent-rich basketball community and recruiting base. There's no question that there's untapped potential in this situation.
I know your right his record speaks for itself. I just meant that we all want a coach that will get this program to where we make tournament most years. Like Selection Sunday said, were constantly on the bubble and most times its 50/50 so it seems. If there are fans each year that are biting their fingernails every year on selection Sunday its us!

Two other significant things that prior coaches didn't enjoy (at least to the same extent):

2) a couple of national cable networks (BTN, FS1) who along with the ESPN channels pretty much guarantee a recruit that almost all of his games will be televised and available to a wide audience.

Right, weren't the training facilities supposed to be a game changer? The bottom line is that Pitino is neither a good recruiter or bench coach. Recruit at a high level and the coaching thing has minimal impact.

It's time, we won't be buying out any of our major coaches any time soon. He will get it done this year if he decides it's time.

Right, weren't the training facilities supposed to be a game changer? The bottom line is that Pitino is neither a good recruiter or bench coach. Recruit at a high level and the coaching thing has minimal impact.
The practice facility is great and obviously draws attention to recruits, but the ol number 1 factor will always be winning!

The argument i have made over and over on "you need the MN kids!" is you dont 100% need only them, but you have an in with them, take advantage of it. Sure you arent getting Suggs/Tre/Tyus heck even Nnaji/Hurt, and thats ok. But man is it frustrating to see MW4, Roddy, Sims etc all playing nice roles and we are left with Jarvis or Konate minutes. Kids like that are NEVER giving MN a sniff if they are from say South Carolina or Arizona, but since they are here they will. Pitino backers always said stuff like "ohh hes building a pipeline to the NE" ok great so we can get kids like Harris/Jelly who are here for a year and leave after they flop?

And like some above said, im sure its TERRIBLE dealing with AAU coaches/runners, but thats why you make millions of dollars. You kind of have to get along with those people, right wrong or the other they control where kids go a lot of times. If D1 MN coach hates Pitino, good luck getting any help there. Its a necessary evil.

I don't follow how BTN, FS1 & ESPN helps the Gophers compete in the Conference. Every Big 10 program enjoys the exact same exposure to go along with the righteous bucks.

The argument i have made over and over on "you need the MN kids!" is you dont 100% need only them, but you have an in with them, take advantage of it. Sure you arent getting Suggs/Tre/Tyus heck even Nnaji/Hurt, and thats ok. But man is it frustrating to see MW4, Roddy, Sims etc all playing nice roles and we are left with Jarvis or Konate minutes. Kids like that are NEVER giving MN a sniff if they are from say South Carolina or Arizona, but since they are here they will. Pitino backers always said stuff like "ohh hes building a pipeline to the NE" ok great so we can get kids like Harris/Jelly who are here for a year and leave after they flop?

And like some above said, im sure its TERRIBLE dealing with AAU coaches/runners, but thats why you make millions of dollars. You kind of have to get along with those people, right wrong or the other they control where kids go a lot of times. If D1 MN coach hates Pitino, good luck getting any help there. Its a necessary evil.
All valid points!

Plus his dad (apparently) is quite good at it.
And that right there has been 100% Richards largest mistake. Rick Pitino should have been here as an assistant as soon as he was available. He has one of the best resources around, but doesn't seem to use it.

I know people will say what about his edgy past. But at this point, or for this program that hasn't been good since Clem, who really cares. His name alone along with the wins that would have come with it would have had this program built up and ready to go by now.

And that right there has been 100% Richards largest mistake. Rick Pitino should have been here as an assistant as soon as he was available. He has one of the best resources around, but doesn't seem to use it.

I know people will say what about his edgy past. But at this point, or for this program that hasn't been good since Clem, who really cares. His name alone along with the wins that would have come with it would have had this program built up and ready to go by now.
MN has a holier than thou attitude. MN provides the sword, the platform, and all other necessities and then falls on it. Meanwhile, nearly very other program ignores worse transgressions.

Never would be allowed here........

MN has a holier than thou attitude. MN provides the sword, the platform, and all other necessities and then falls on it. Meanwhile, nearly very other program ignores worse transgressions.

Never would be allowed here........

I agree is and this is the reason we can't compete at a high level in any of the major sports on a regular basis. That is why we sit as a bubble team year in, year out and get asked to the motor city bowl on the regular.

I agree is and this is the reason we can't compete at a high level in any of the major sports on a regular basis. That is why we sit as a bubble team year in, year out and get asked to the motor city bowl on the regular.
Been saying it for decades. Many fans simply will not admit it. I truly believe they see the same thing, just will not admit it.

I'm in the "COVID saved him last year and won't again absent a major turnaround this year" camp. Coyle has stated pretty clearly that his expectations for the program are much higher than the results we have seen. In addition to all the other uncertainty last spring, Coyle had to make a decision on Pitino at a time when he knew that cutting sports was a real possibility, probably even a likelihood. If they had bought out Pitino, hired a replacement and then cut sports a few months later, the buyout and the cuts would have been directly linked by those protesting the program cuts and the new coach, just a few months on the job, would have been the face and focus of those protests. No doubt, we will still hear complaints about paying a buyout and how that money could have saved the sports that are being cut, but the new hire will not have the burden of being the "cause" of that decision and, if they hire somebody who gets people excited, might even generate some positive feelings and enjoy a bit of a honeymoon period that lasts more than four months.

I don't follow how BTN, FS1 & ESPN helps the Gophers compete in the Conference. Every Big 10 program enjoys the exact same exposure to go along with the righteous bucks.
It doesn't help against B1G teams. It does help against teams from other conferences with less exposure. The "Big 12 network" is still just a bunch of local TV affiliates in the conference. The Pac 12 Network is still unavailable to a large % of TV viewers. etc.

I care. I would never support the University if they hired him. Great basketball mind but zero chance that happens. Tons of people care.

Agreed that Pitino is more than likely gone and good merit if the season ended today. But it doesnt end today, what type of finish do you think they would have to have for Coyle to not pull the trigger and move on? My guess is something like, (however unrealistic they are for how we are playing atm):
  1. Finish above .500 in the big ten (counting b1g tourney) get a 5 or 6 seed and win minimum 1 game in the tournament.
  2. Sweet 16 regardless of regular season finish or standings.
(Note these do not take into account who he may have lined up to take over) I know those 2 would not be enough for some or most on here but where do we think Coyle is at. And where do you fall?

Agreed that Pitino is more than likely gone and good merit if the season ended today. But it doesnt end today, what type of finish do you think they would have to have for Coyle to not pull the trigger and move on? My guess is something like, (however unrealistic they are for how we are playing atm):
  1. Finish above .500 in the big ten (counting b1g tourney) get a 5 or 6 seed and win minimum 1 game in the tournament.
(Note these do not take into account who he may have lined up to take over) I know those 2 would not be enough for some or most on here but where do we think Coyle is at. And where do you fall?
I need elite 8 or final 4. At this point I need a miracle run to stay interested. Anything short of that, if he is still here, and I’m dropping my season tickets. We have the sample size and it’s clear he can’t get the job done and SUSTAIN some kind of success. The big ten record is not even competitive. All I’m asking for is .500 big ten basketball. I need someone to revitalize the energy around the program. This is the worst shape I have ever seen the program.

I am only guessing Coyle wants a minimum winning conference record and at least one tourney. Still doable. That is not what i am looking for. I looking at what he has or has not built, what are the attendance up to this year, donations, brand, Has the program become prominent in any way outside the state, has it broadened the brand in the state ?

I am guessing there is no “need X wins to keep job”

you should always fire a coach when you feel they can’t get the job done. Whether they have a good record or a bad record.
Going into the year I’m sure there are scenarios where a 6th place finish gets him fired. And other scenarios where a 9th place finish saves his job.

obviously winning helps give an AD confidence the coach can get a job done

I care. I would never support the University if they hired him. Great basketball mind but zero chance that happens. Tons of people care.
Yet you cited cheating programs first on your list!!!!!!

Cant make it up......

Top Bottom