College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

Setting aside whether he'd be medically cleared (no small thing), I feel like any big man they take should be someone ready to play, not developmental.

Apparently he's been cleared to play. But you're right, with how he looked last year, I'd want someone else.

Here's a surprise (to an outsider anyway). Kanye Clary, Penn State's leading scorer through most of the season, hit the transfer portal today.
I don't know if this was tongue-in-cheek or not, but Clary was dismissed from the team in mid-February link

He's a good player, but from the tone of that article, I wonder who will want to take the gamble.

Probably nothing but I find it interesting that essentially everyone they've contacted had been a guard/wing. Considering Asuma, Hawkins, Mitchell seem locked in and DG/Fox being a ? Just seems odd. 👀
Cam??? reading into it but maybe he's leaving

He was basically kicked off the team at mid season. This is the most unsurprising name in the portal. His current coach deemed his issues to more of a liability than his considerable talent as an asset.

I didn't realize that. I just saw that his last game was on February 14th. I guess I just assumed he was hurt when he didn't play against us in the last game.

The guy who does mock drafts at "The Athletic" has Cam being drafted late in the first round.
Looking at NBADraft.net and they have only 4 Big Ten players in their 2 round mock:
Shannon, Ware both round 1 and Edey, Hawkins round 2

I know they draft on potential but would Christie rank above Storr, Sandfort, Walker, Damask, Mgbako, Freeman, Buie, Smith and Barnhizer. That's just Big Ten guys. I would be amazed if Christie goes in round 1 and I think he will be terrific in time. At 18 years old, the smart choice for him would be to cash some NIL and come out big next year to go early/mid round 1

Yeah I've never seen a Gophers team with more than 9 contributing players. All the way back through Haskins.

I realize that there's the transfer portal now. But those who demand Ben have 12 good players aren't being realistic.

I'm not sure that's what people are saying. What they might be saying is recruit like you need 12 good players on the roster. That way, if 3 of them don't pan out, you still have 9.

For whatever reason, Johnson has not had enough quality players on his roster in each of his three years. This year he came closest as at least his starting five was good enough. Fox was a good reserve and Carrington was capable enough although he had a terrible shooting year (worse than his freshman season). I don't know what happened with Ola Joseph but he didn't play at all in 9 games this season and didn't play more than 8 minutes in a game since the end of January. Ihnen hasn't played more than 6 minutes in a game since late January and hasn't done much of anything since late December. The three remaining scholarship players aren't even worth mentioning.

Looking at NBADraft.net and they have only 4 Big Ten players in their 2 round mock:

I know they draft on potential but would Christie rank above Storr, Sandfort, Walker, Damask, Mgbako, Freeman, Buie, Smith and Barnhizer. That's just Big Ten guys. I would be amazed if Christie goes in round 1 and I think he will be terrific in time. At 18 years old, the smart choice for him would be to cash some NIL and come out big next year to go early/mid round 1
I think his potential, and what he has shown this season, would put him above most of those guys.

Mgbako perhaps the same or better.....

I think you're right. I hope you're right. Not sure how much comparisons to his brother play into this. Vecenie, "The Athletic" writer, says scouts feel he is ahead of Max at this stage, and he's playing in the NBA. But he also mentions G League as an option. Might be a case where NIL helps the Gophers?

Houston Mallette Pepperdine to Alabama. So maybe some coach's can coach and recruit from the portal at the same time

I’d take him in a cocaine heartbeat.
Yep.

He's the exact kind of guy you stash and hope you can teach how to play basketball. If you can't, oh well, we never use up our scholarships anyway. If you can, well, you have a 7'3" guy that is good at basketball on your team.

Offer him and make him earn minutes.

I think you're right. I hope you're right. Not sure how much comparisons to his brother play into this. Vecenie, "The Athletic" writer, says scouts feel he is ahead of Max at this stage, and he's playing in the NBA. But he also mentions G League as an option. Might be a case where NIL helps the Gophers?
He is ahead of Max at this age. Max was not a very good college basketball player. NBA mock drafts are odd until teams start announcing.

I think we will start to see mocks with Christie going in the 2nd and maybe a couple with him in the late first. That said, I think he returns for 1 more season.

I am choosing to believe the Gopher staff is reaching out to a lot of folks, guard and forwards, because maybe they have decided they just need more dudes, and not because someone is leaving. As good as the guards were at times, they all took turns struggling, and the more scorers you can have the better you'll be. One thing i noticed is that the guys theyve contacted so far can create their own shots. Definitely something Christie, Carrington and sometimes Mitchell struggled with

Regarding Evans - i agree from a basketball standpoint he may be worth stashing, but if i were Johnson and staff i would hold a major grudge against getting spurned last minute like they did, and he's not a good enough player to ignore something like that
In Evans defense, it's looking like that will likely be his only opportunity at making money playing basketball.

I'm not sure that's what people are saying. What they might be saying is recruit like you need 12 good players on the roster. That way, if 3 of them don't pan out, you still have 9.

For whatever reason, Johnson has not had enough quality players on his roster in each of his three years. This year he came closest as at least his starting five was good enough. Fox was a good reserve and Carrington was capable enough although he had a terrible shooting year (worse than his freshman season). I don't know what happened with Ola Joseph but he didn't play at all in 9 games this season and didn't play more than 8 minutes in a game since the end of January. Ihnen hasn't played more than 6 minutes in a game since late January and hasn't done much of anything since late December. The three remaining scholarship players aren't even worth mentioning.
Who do you point to for that situation?

The problem with how Ben used his scholarships so far isn't that he wasn't able to have 12 good players. No one expects that. The problem is that he wastes too many scholarships by how he formulates a roster. We have way too many PF types - especially now that he's learned you can't just plop them at SF. We have had too few guards.

I don't mind wasting scholarships on development players that don't pan out. You won't see me rip on Ben gor the Keinys scholarship. But I do mind wasting scholarships on a 4th string PF when we have literally 1 PG on the roster.

The for whatever reason is that the combination of Ben Johnson, HC, and University of Minnesota basketball has not been attractive enough to bring in 10 real Big Ten players per season.

The combo of CBJ/Minnesota gained ground this season but not nearly enough. Ben's tenure in the job rests solely on improving that attraction further this off season.

His short roster is not the result of him not understanding that he needs more, or not wanting more. It is what he has been able to do so far.

The for whatever reason is that the combination of Ben Johnson, HC, and University of Minnesota basketball has not been attractive enough to bring in 10 real Big Ten players per season.

The combo of CBJ/Minnesota gained ground this season but not nearly enough. Ben's tenure in the job rests solely on improving that attraction further this off season.

His short roster is not the result of him not understanding that he needs more, or not wanting more. It is what he has been able to do so far.
Partially it is. He is able to land 6 PFs.

He had an issue with roster construction. It's not the end of the world and I'm sure he's learned some lessons. But Ben absolutely had a problem with understanding how to construct the proper roster.

Regarding Evans - i agree from a basketball standpoint he may be worth stashing, but if i were Johnson and staff i would hold a major grudge against getting spurned last minute like they did, and he's not a good enough player to ignore something like that
I don't know about the grudge angle, but Evans (at the least) could be a guy to come off the bench and be a huge physical presence defensively...something we've lacked for a long time.

It's just do darn difficult at Mn. Meanwhile, down the road in Ames Iowa..........

It's just do darn difficult at Mn. Meanwhile, down the road in Ames Iowa..........
In Ames, they worship their kids and treat them like gods. In Minneapolis the kids are just small fish in a big pond. It's hard to grow sustained interest in a D1 program in a Top 10 Metro City. Perhaps if the University were in Alexandria...

6’1”? I don’t know. (Listen to me! Drunk with happiness from being in the NIT and now questioning the height of a high scoring guard. Success has a way of spoiling me.)

Well, Allen Iverson was listed at 6'0"

I am wondering about all these guard contacts, though. I would have thought that front court help was the biggest need. Is there something about the near future we don't know?

Top Bottom