College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

In Ames, they worship their kids and treat them like gods. In Minneapolis the kids are just small fish in a big pond. It's hard to grow sustained interest in a D1 program in a Top 10 Metro City. Perhaps if the University were in Alexandria...

Same thing in Iowa City although Caitlin Clark has stolen the thunder from the men's team. Not so much here. Gopher games are just another attraction competing with other attractions.

It's just do darn difficult at Mn. Meanwhile, down the road in Ames Iowa..........
In Ames, they worship their kids and treat them like gods. In Minneapolis the kids are just small fish in a big pond. It's hard to grow sustained interest in a D1 program in a Top 10 Metro City. Perhaps if the University were in Alexandria...
If Iowa State is so great...why is their only Final Four in 1944 ? And why is their only Final-8 in 2000 ?

If Iowa State is so great...why is their only Final Four in 1944 ? And why is their only Final-8 in 2000 ?

I think you missed the point of FinnGopher's post. The theme had more to do with the importance attached to collegiate athletics in different types of locations rather than the quality of Iowa State.

This is my assessment for next year.

PG - Hawkins. Think he be best at 30-32 min/game.
- Don't feel they have any other PG currently on the team. Asuma can be backup PG, but feel like we could use another Junior/Senior PG transfer willing to produce for 10-20/min game backing up Hawkins and giving Asuma time to work into the big ten.

SG- Christie. He really more of SG than 3. Especially for defending. Think with NIL there is a good chance we see him back another year.
- Mitchell, Carrington as backup SG. Hopefully Mitchell will except this roll. Still see him playing 15-20 min/game as there will be times of 3 Guard lineups.

SF- This to me is our biggest ? You got Ihnen, JOJ, Betts, Keinys. Are they ready to play at this spot. If not WE NEED TO GET in the portal.
PF- Garcia - Hoping he is back to lead the squad one more year.
- Hopefully Fox gets talked into one more year for backup. Otherwise its Grove unless you go smaller with the SF guys. Need to find another that can contribute in Big 10 play. Especially if Fox is Out.
C - Payne. We NEED ATLEAST 1 more C position. If not 2. This will help Garcia not have to play the 5. Need help to battle down low for 40 min.

Good win tonight! Rah!

Last edited:

Not a great shooter. Tall and athletic especially for the Summit as tall as some centers in the conference.. this allows him to get away with some things offensively.. not real physical.. I don’t think he could handle power 5 physicality and think he might struggle to score.. plays hard.. wish him the best.

From Mankato East

What's up with Iona? New coach that brought in 13 new players for this season. Have 9 in the portal now. That's a lot of movement. Top 2 returning scorers leaving.

Wow! Cliff Omoruyi and Mawot Mag of Rutgers showed up in the portal today. Another Rutgers player showed up yesterday. What's going on there? I know Pikiell has a couple of very highly rated freshmen coming in but Omoruyi is a big loss.

Wow! Cliff Omoruyi and Mawot Mag of Rutgers showed up in the portal today. Another Rutgers player showed up yesterday. What's going on there? I know Pikiell has a couple of very highly rated freshmen coming in but Omoruyi is a big loss.

Omoruyi likely to UConn.

They seem to lose guys with one year left - they lost headband guy (Mulcahy) to Washington last year, and a big dude to UCLA (Myles Johnson) a couple of years before.

I was surprised to learn big Cliff had eligibility left, tbh. He'll make some money somewhere - a 5-man with his abilities aren't in great supply.

Pure speculation, but you have to wonder if they got ticked that the shiny new 5 stars are getting big $$$ and they're not......

Unfortunately that's just collegiate athletics today.

There was a player on the Cornell bench with a big brace on his leg. My guess is that was him.
Cornell nearly pulled the upset without leading scorer Chris Manon, who didn’t play because of an injury. The senior guard sat at the end of the bench with a boot over his left foot and had to helplessly watch his career in Ithaca come to a sour close.

Think someone like him would work for backup PG. He would then be a senior when Asuma is a Sophomore so we are still strong after Hawkins and allows CBJ to recruit another PG next year.

Our recent history from the Ivy League hasn't been great.
Same with Rick Pitino. Talked trash about that kid from Harvard they Bought last year. Looked like a difference maker on paper. He didn’t do terrible, but…. Rick was likely right.

Think someone like him would work for backup PG. He would then be a senior when Asuma is a Sophomore so we are still strong after Hawkins and allows CBJ to recruit another PG next year.
With Hawkins and Mitchell already on the smaller side, would prefer to see any guards we bring in have some size.

Top Bottom