College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

Some people are committing earlier this year in the portal than last year. Be interesting to know how active CBJ is with the season still going.

Some people are committing earlier this year in the portal than last year. Be interesting to know how active CBJ is with the season still going.
Been multiple posts in this thread about players we have been in contact with so would appear Johnson is being very active in the portal even while the seaon is still going.

Same with Rick Pitino. Talked trash about that kid from Harvard they Bought last year. Looked like a difference maker on paper. He didn’t do terrible, but…. Rick was likely right.
Counterpoint - Langborg From Northwestern/Princeton translated well

well gotta replace ... Fox, Garcia, Christie, JOJ, Wilson Ramberg
Making some assumptions there on guys that have not made their intentions for next year known. And 2 of whatever open spots we have are already spoken for with the two incoming recruits.

But it is likely that there are going to be spots open because that is the world we are living in right now with college sports. But unless you know something the rest of us don't it remains to be seen who is leaving and who is coming back.

well gotta replace ... Fox, Garcia, Christie, JOJ, Wilson Ramberg
Ramberg's not on scholarship. Wilson's spot and the walk-spot (Reader I think) are spoken for by Asuma/Grove.

Technically we currently have zero or one opening depending on if Fox is officially not coming back. I do expect multiple spots between Fox/JOJ/Ihnen/Keinys/Betts. But those would be bench spots. If Garcia and Christie both do leave, Ben's fate is probably sealed either way.

How many Butler bulldogs did we just force into the portal?
Per On3.com

DJ Davis: 1 year at Butler, 3 years at UC Irvine. 1 year left to play.
Went to high school at Riverside Poly. Evans went to Riverside Hillcrest
Mitchell, Wilson, Samuels, Henley also attended HS in California
Davis shot 95% on ft this season (95-100), 2-4 Tuesday vs Gophers

Made the "Pass" at the end of the game, his reply on "X" :

"Dumb mistake by me 100%, but don't ever disrespect my character tryna say it was on purpose, miss me with that bs 100"

Last edited:

Ramberg's not on scholarship. Wilson's spot and the walk-spot (Reader I think) are spoken for by Asuma/Grove.

Technically we currently have zero or one opening depending on if Fox is officially not coming back. I do expect multiple spots between Fox/JOJ/Ihnen/Keinys/Betts. But those would be bench spots. If Garcia and Christie both do leave, Ben's fate is probably sealed either way.
I think Purcell got the scholarship over Reader/Ramberg. I'm guessing it's a year to year type scholarship that can be given to a different player if needed.

Could be less a function of how many guys are leaving and more a function of Johnson learning that he needs to cast a wider net due to how competitive the recruiting in the portal is with tons of teams going after the same players.
Another possibility is that more guys are responding with initial interest. I am pretty sure that the initial net would be cast pretty wide. If a lot more players say- I'll listen- then you look a lot more active. Just a theory. Ben does have to wait on the decisions of a number of guys and recruit on a "just in case" basis:

Fox/Christie/ Garcia are three big ones.

Could former Minnesota prep star Nate Heise transfer to Gophers?​

The former Lake City High School star is in the transfer portal.

Seems like a decent player; good shooter. He would be relatively low risk because he only has one year left. I'm more concerned about front court prospects because I anticipate those positions could be our greatest need. Guards are also more plentiful in the portal.

Recruits (2)
Asuma
Grove

Probable returns (7)
Payne
Hawkins
Mitchell
Betts
Keinys
Asuma
Carrington

Guess- we lose 1

50/50 guys (5)
Fox
Ihnen
Christie
JOJ
Garcia

Guess- we lose 2 or 3

I think we are shopping for 2-4 guys in the portal
If the worst happens and we lose Garcia and Christie then Ben has to go out and nail equivalent players in the portal. It can be done. We got Hawkins last year. Wisconsin got Storr...and so on.

If we lose a couple of depth players - then we are in great shape to find a couple missing pieces and go on a run next year.

Last edited:

Recruits (2)
Asuma
Grove

Probable returns (6)
Payne
Hawkins
Mitchell
Betts
Keinys
Asuma

Guess- we lose 1

50/50 guys (5)
Fox
Ihnen
Christie
JOJ
Garcia

Guess- we lose 2 or 3

I think we are shopping for 3-4 guys in the portal
If the worst happens and we lose Garcia and Christie then Ben has to go out and nail equivalent players in the portal. It can be done. We got Hawkins last year. Wisconsin got Storr...and so on.

If we lose a couple of depth players - then we are in great shape to find a couple missing pieces and go on a run next year.
No Carrington in your group.

No Carrington in your group.
Good catch. Thanks.

That means if we lose 3 we can get 2. If we lose 4 we get three and so on.

My feeling (uninformed feeling) is that Ihnen, Fox and JOJ will move on. Odds are we lose one of Garcia and Christie. (unfortunately)

Last edited:

we just need our boosters,and fortune 500 companies to pay these kids and they'll stay...we have the money, pretty much no competition in the area, shouldn't be that hard, Christie NBA maybe, but everyone else, they have guaranteed roles here and will be competitive, only way I see them transferring if it is about money

Good catch. Thanks.

That means if we lose 3 we can get 2. If we lose 4 we get three and so on.

My feeling (uninformed feeling) is that Ihnen, Fox and JOJ will move on. Odds are we lose one of Garcia and Christie. (unfortunately)
Looks like you also have Asuma listed twice (we don't have any of his relatives coming...yet).

we just need our boosters,and fortune 500 companies to pay these kids and they'll stay...we have the money, pretty much no competition in the area, shouldn't be that hard, Christie NBA maybe, but everyone else, they have guaranteed roles here and will be competitive, only way I see them transferring if it is about money
If the businesses and people you identify see a value to paying players to whatever they are doing, maybe they pay up. They won’t do it just so we can win. Our culture just doesn’t support that like they do down south and other places.

Not always just replacing for the next year, it is setting up so after next year we don't need 7-10 new kids too. Only recruited 2 so far. If all stay next year, then Hawkins, Ihnen, Garcia, (likely Christie), Fox, would all be gone and if losing all them and have nothing more ready after that more would probably transfer the following year and team would have nothing. We need some big C/PF! depth!
Also maybe Betts, Keiny's who have seen little development are not big 10 ready and time to fine more that are. Big ten is only going to get tougher, so strengthen up and it is ok to have a deeper team. If players don't like that then they are not here for the team anyhow.

If we had three (3) slots open and could get transfers from any MN kid that went elsewhere, who should those guys be?

Reactions: Rex

Not always just replacing for the next year, it is setting up so after next year we don't need 7-10 new kids too. Only recruited 2 so far. If all stay next year, then Hawkins, Ihnen, Garcia, (likely Christie), Fox, would all be gone and if losing all them and have nothing more ready after that more would probably transfer the following year and team would have nothing. We need some big C/PF! depth!
Also maybe Betts, Keiny's who have seen little development are not big 10 ready and time to fine more that are. Big ten is only going to get tougher, so strengthen up and it is ok to have a deeper team. If players don't like that then they are not here for the team anyhow.
True. But the top end guys won't come if they don't think they will be starting next year.

True. But the top end guys won't come if they don't think they will be starting next year.
The top end guys always think they are starting. The best ones want to win. That's what works in Ben's favor more this year- he can sell the possibility of winning this year and it is a realistic one with the right adds.

The top end guys always think they are starting. The best ones want to win. That's what works in Ben's favor more this year- he can sell the possibility of winning this year and it is a realistic one with the right adds.
And keeps.

If we had three (3) slots open and could get transfers from any MN kid that went elsewhere, who should those guys be?
Come into some NIL money? Good job, I'd do the same thing.
Working on a list, hopefully others are also.

Top Bottom