Christie going pro?

If you don't think luck has anything to do with it at a normal school like Minnesota...you ought to have your head examined. Normal schools aren't going to win big when 2 starters go pro early. Timing involves luck. Most schools can only ask that their coach give them a chance. It's not a guaranteed science.
In one year, yes there's luck. In four years? No. Ben's put himself in a corner for next season with his awful year one, awful year two and mediocre year 3. So he has no room for bad luck in year 4. That's on him.

What is your standard for next year? If 2-3 starters leave it's "poor Ben you can't judge him on year 4. He's starting over. He needs at least 6 years"?

Normal schools might not win big the year after two starters go pro early but you would certainly hope they'd be more successful than an NIT team with those two starters.
If by some miracle we make the NCAA's this year, he's met the requirement and can afford a mulligan in year 4.

Normal schools might not win big the year after two starters go pro early but you would certainly hope they'd be more successful than an NIT team with those two starters.
Yeah, it's also just important you judge a coach by the results on the court. Apologists seem to want to build in excuses for a coach if that coach has players get injured or players who transfer/go to the NBA.

But do they say things like "we probably wouldn't beat Rutgers if Mulcahy and Spencer hadn't left"? Or "Indiana would have been better than us if Hood-Schifino had stayed another year"? Of course they don't. They shouldn't.

But you also can't build in excuses for coaches. You are your record.

Christy’s has had an excellent freshman season but he’s not NBA ready IMO. By staying another year he could be an NBA first rounder. Fortunately the NBA has a process in place to give feedback, and will encourage players to stay in college if that’s in their best interests.

Yeah, it's also just important you judge a coach by the results on the court. Apologists seem to want to build in excuses for a coach if that coach has players get injured or players who transfer/go to the NBA.

But do they say things like "we probably wouldn't beat Rutgers if Mulcahy and Spencer hadn't left"? Or "Indiana would have been better than us if Hood-Schifino had stayed another year"? Of course they don't. They shouldn't.

But you also can't build in excuses for coaches. You are your record.
Yup.

Has Collin's whined about injuries to nw players? Not sure.

This reminds me of what our daughter's club gymnastics coaches would have to tell the parents all the time about the reasoning behind who got promoted to the next level and who didn't. It wasn't all about how you performed in the lower level, because that didn't always translate into performance at the next level. It's a matter of whether you were in a position to develop the next-level skills. And it certainly wasn't a matter of how anybody's sister did at the next level. Cam is not Max.
Bad, corbomite manuver is rt now!

If you don't think luck has anything to do with it at a normal school like Minnesota...you ought to have your head examined. Normal schools aren't going to win big when 2 starters go pro early. Timing involves luck. Most schools can only ask that their coach give them a chance. It's not a guaranteed science.
If two starters go pro next year, shouldn't we have been pretty GD good THIS year? We had two pro level players, FFS.

You are correct, Reusse couldn't be more unprofessional, immature, and incompetent--complete troll. Considering Cam's brother had a significantly worse freshman year and managed to get drafted early 2nd round and play for the Lakers both of his first two seasons, it's a real possibly Cam could go pro this year. I think he would be a late first round pick for the reasons just listed. Cam fits the exact mold of an NBA sg and already plays an NBA-style game. If he's not gone this year, he's gone the next. Gonna be so sad to see him leave, but at least it would be for a great reason!
Some service listed the Top 100 guys for the NBA Draft in a brand new updated list. Christie wasn't on the list.
Time doesn't stand still...comparing his season to Max's as a factor is like is like saying .... make any foolish comparison up.

9 and 11 is a nice improvement but we will likely still be a bottom 4 team after Sunday.

In one year, yes there's luck. In four years? No. Ben's put himself in a corner for next season with his awful year one, awful year two and mediocre year 3. So he has no room for bad luck in year 4. That's on him.

What is your standard for next year? If 2-3 starters leave it's "poor Ben you can't judge him on year 4. He's starting over. He needs at least 6 years"?
Did Pitino really get 8 yrs here? I can’t remember 🤔

Literally impossible
Maybe take a peek at the standings and who plays who. I could hear maybe not probable but I don't think it's impossible unless we win all the tie breakers because a handful of teams could end up 9 and 11.
And seemingly only two are guaranteed to be worse than 9 and 11.

Maybe take a peek at the standings and who plays who. I could hear maybe not probable but I don't think it's impossible unless we win all the tie breakers because a handful of teams could end up 9 and 11.
And seemingly only two are guaranteed to be worse than 9 and 11.
They can't finish worst than 10th.

math time --
30 teams in the NBA. 2 rounds in the draft = 60 players drafted.

that's 60 players out of all the eligible players in college hoops + the international players, who are making up a larger part of the NBA (over 25%).

So is Cam Christie one of the 60 best draft-eligible players in the world? and if you want the guaranteed contract money, is Christie one of the 30 best draft-eligible players in the world?

I'm going with No. He has a lot of potential, but he needs to get stronger, work on his ball-handling, etc.

and I think that's what Reusse was getting at in his sarcastic way - if Christie tries to go NBA now, he will wind up in the G League.
And next year Phoenix lost their pick, so there are only 59 picks.

Different skillset, but Naz Reid went undrafted after one year at LSU. He was promised to be signed after the draft and he was signed. Very same thing could happen to Cam and promised a certain amount of $$. Yes he isn't NBA ready right now, but his potential is.

Luck only matters to mediocre programs and coaches, or are you alleging that at this level literally ONLY luck separates teams each year?
Luck matters to most schools.

Almost every Big Ten school except Izzo & Michigan State. Sometimes they get on a roll like Ryan & Wisconsin...but usually, to have a very good season...luck (especially timing, going-pro decisions) is involved.

Even Purdue...we've made the Final Four much more recently than them. It's been 44 years since they made it. Even when they got a 1-seed...they lost to the 16-seed.

Ben inherited NOTHING. And now he has a potentially very good team next year. Yet many are saying NO EXCUSES and have him on the hot-seat.

I give Ben a total-free-pass for the first 2 years.

But going forward, he should be judged year-by-year. No starting over or free passes...but also not lambasted if we have bad luck (like players going pro and the timing not quite working out).

Just give us a chance. Hope.

If two starters go pro next year, shouldn't we have been pretty GD good THIS year? We had two pro level players, FFS.
Not necessarily. The NBA drafts based on potential. Plus it's sometimes just 50-50 if a player returns or goes pro overseas. And they sometimes improve greatly when they return for another year.

We need some GOOD LUCK this off-season. But Ben is giving us a chance.

These articles in my opinion should never be reported until after the season is done. Players hopefully don't get distracted with this, but they are also young and human and I think DO. Should be more like Christie becoming stronger as freshman year goes on and is working to contribute to the program reaching post season play.

I would add, do we honestly, honestly think this team has two pro type players on it today?

NOT A CHANCE!!!!

A few years down the road, maybe there are two pro type players on this team

10-10 in a weak conference and an NIT bid is pretty much the definition of mediocre isn't it?
Taken in context, with a win Saturday only three of the last 25 years or so have been better in the Big Ten. A number have been equal but few better.

Taken in context, with a win Saturday only three of the last 25 years or so have been better in the Big Ten. A number have been equal but few better.

Just because they would get to 10 wins? Playing a 20 game B1G schedule also factors into that number and they have only been doing that for 6 years.

How many times in the last 25 years did the Gophers play 18 B1G games against teams that finished the season unranked? That needs to be taken into context.

How good the conference is matters. Who you played matters. We are 5-0 against the bottom 4 teams, 4-10 against the rest of the conference and played the only two ranked teams only once.

From actual observations, teams in the last 25 years better than this one :

1999, 2002, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2019.

Last edited:

I would add, do we honestly, honestly think this team has two pro type players on it today?

NOT A CHANCE!!!!

A few years down the road, maybe there are two pro type players on this team
Garcia can absolutely play pro ball overseas if he doesn't make it in the NBA. Christie is a future NBA guy either after this year or next year. Payne will end up playing pro ball in either the NBA or Europe. Hawkins can most likely play ball overseas but won't be big enough for the NBA. So there is definitely pro potential on this roster but Christie might be the only NBA lock of the bunch.

Top Bottom