Christie going pro?

I don't know if it's a "failure" but it would certainly be a gut punch to the prospects for next year's team. Either way, it's NCAA or bust. No excuses.
There ARE excuses if Christie & Garcia go pro.

Often times, success in college basketball is 100% PURE LUCK. Or the worse a coach develops a player, the better the won-loss record is... because the player sticks around another year before going pro.

Until you realize this...until you stop thinking that the won-loss record is determined by intelligence and hard work...you will be miserable. And miserable to listen to. We should be hoping for LUCK.

More power to him if he can be, but that doesn't mean a productive career.
Virtually no amount of college productivity, or "readiness" as I've seen people call it, is a guarantee to a productive NBA career. The draft is a complete crap shoot.

We all hope Cam comes back for another year. It's almost certain he will declare and explore his options. If he's projected to be a late first or early 2nd round pick, it probably makes financial sense for him to go now (unfortunately for us).

Often times, success in college basketball is 100% PURE LUCK. Or the worse a coach develops a player, the better the won-loss record is... because the player sticks around another year before going pro.

Until you realize this...until you stop thinking that the won-loss record is determined by intelligence and hard work...you will be miserable. And miserable to listen to. We should be hoping for LUCK.
I would agree 99% of the time with this.

The one place I wouldn’t is when a 4 year rebuild plan (in an era where it’s possible in 1 year) falls apart like a house of cards because your 5th COVID year senior that had the talent to do so goes pro or leaves for big cash.

And the excuses mount.......

I would agree 99% of the time with this.

The one place I wouldn’t is when a 4 year rebuild plan (in an era where it’s possible in 1 year) falls apart like a house of cards because your 5th COVID year senior that had the talent to do so goes pro or leaves for big cash.
Fair point. But also, CBJ inherited absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

All a coach can do at a place like Minnesota is give us a chance. And if no one goes pro, we should be very good.

If you want to bitch & moan about it...that's your problem.
"At a place like Minnesota ". Can't be done at Mn. Other schools can do it, just not Mn.

Yet another example of lower than low expectations. And excuses.

Good grief.

Christie has NBA skills and frame. He would benefit from one year more of letting body mature and getting stronger. It all depends on how deep the draft class is whether going in the draft is a good idea or not.

Did some digging for the sake of it. Cam isn't on Bleacher Report or SI's recent mock draft, nor is his on the top 100 big board for either tankathon, NBAdraftroom or NBAdraft.net

Is the only stipulation for inclusion in those various rankings is that a player is eligible for the draft? As opposed to the individuals that are assumed will declare? I'm not an NBA guy in general or a draft guy in particular.

Nope. You are what you are after four years. It's not "bad luck, poor Ben." What a loser mentality.

If we lose guys to the pros/transfers, Ben better recruit capable replacements from the portal. One NCAA bid in four years is a reasonable and frankly bare minimum requirement. If Ben can't meet it, it's time to find someone who can. Period.

Yes, but I doubt he would be a first round pick if he went this season. He's not on any draft boards I've seen even though I'm pretty confident he's on the radar. He has plenty of talent but he's a bit light right now.

He’ll test the waters and get feedback. If he gets positive feedback he may go pro. Mock drafts aren’t that dialed in currently.

Nope. You are what you are after four years. It's not "bad luck, poor Ben." What a loser mentality.

If we lose guys to the pros/transfers, Ben better recruit capable replacements from the portal. One NCAA bid in four years is a reasonable and frankly bare minimum requirement. If Ben can't meet it, it's time to find someone who can. Period.

I agree with you. I do wonder what % of P6 teams DONT get 1+ tourney bid in a 4 year period. Has to be a small %.

Like who in the B1G hasn’t danced in the last 4 years?

Coffey, Oturo were the 2 most recent that I remember. If both had stayed, Pitino would still be here.
They both went to the NBA.

You think the Gophers are disproportionately impacted by players going to the NBA? LOL.

If Christie grades out as a late 1st rounder I would say he enters the draft.

Unless there is a possibility he could move up to a lottery pick in 2025 why not go now.

"At a place like Minnesota ". Can't be done at Mn. Other schools can do it, just not Mn.

Yet another example of lower than low expectations. And excuses.

Good grief.
Once again, a Ben-detractor (or whatever you guys are) misquotes me. I think you just like to sling mud.

I just said it CAN be done at a place like Minnesota. But we need luck too. Ben has us in position to be very good next year. But we need everyone to return.

If you don't think luck has anything to do with it at a normal school like Minnesota...you ought to have your head examined. Normal schools aren't going to win big when 2 starters go pro early. Timing involves luck. Most schools can only ask that their coach give them a chance. It's not a guaranteed science.

And I would bet you would be hard pressed to find many who would disagree with that.

If you don't think luck has anything to do with it at a normal school like Minnesota...you ought to have your head examined. Normal schools aren't going to win big when 2 starters go pro early. Timing involves luck. Most schools can only ask that their coach give them a chance. It's not a guaranteed science.
Luck only matters to mediocre programs and coaches, or are you alleging that at this level literally ONLY luck separates teams each year?

Who would have thought this time last year our biggest worry was that CBJ was recruiting guys that are potentially 1 and done. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Might suck in the short term if Christie goes pro, but certainly might help CBJ’s recruiting trail pitch to have put a 4 star into pros as a 1 and some guy.
It didn't help monson to put humphries in the NBA after a season or Pitino for putting oturu in after two.

Normal schools might not win big the year after two starters go pro early but you would certainly hope they'd be more successful than an NIT team with those two starters.

I'm
Once again, a Ben-detractor (or whatever you guys are) misquotes me. I think you just like to sling mud.

I just said it CAN be done at a place like Minnesota. But we need luck too. Ben has us in position to be very good next year. But we need everyone to return.
I'm a win supporter. Just win.

Reusse is as a big of a gopher fan as most of us. He simply cannot stand the 50 yrs of trash at men’s football.

Normal schools might not win big the year after two starters go pro early but you would certainly hope they'd be more successful than an NIT team with those two starters.
I’m not counting us out of the BTT just yet. It’s unfortunate that our early season results are holding us back from the bubble, but I certainly think the way the team has been playing now they would have a strong chance at a sweet 16 if they did find their way in.

Not really the answer you’re looking for, but in an article about Bronny going pro they did discuss that the 2024 draft class is weaker in comparison than 2025. Could be just as important in his decision.
Bronny will be drafted by some team hoping to sign his Daddy

Top Bottom