Championship Week Game vs Wisconsin

SJUgopher

Reaction score
Saw a tweet quoting Alvarez and matchup to be announced Sunday and Wisconsin beat writer insinuating it will be against Minnesota.

Well this was an easy decision. I assume they will get next year at their place, too, because of no fans this year.

Well this was an easy decision. I assume they will get next year at their place, too, because of no fans this year.
I doubt they'd change next year's schedule like that. Should the pandemic be over, I would be shocked if the 2021 schedule changes at all.

I doubt they'd change next year's schedule like that. Should the pandemic be over, I would be shocked if the 2021 schedule changes at all.
Possible. But with an odd number of conference games you wouldn't have to change any other game for either team, just flip all the years going forward.

Possible. But with an odd number of conference games you wouldn't have to change any other game for either team, just flip all the years going forward.
Except that the setup is that all west teams play the same number of home conference games each year (four one year and five the next). If you switch that one game, Minnesota goes from five home games to four and wisconsin goes from five to six in 2021.

Except that the setup is that all west teams play the same number of home conference games each year (four one year and five the next). If you switch that one game, Minnesota goes from five home games to four and wisconsin goes from five to six in 2021.
Didn't realize that. Thanks. TCF next year.

Meh. We payed Iowa back to back at home in 2010/2011 due to changes to the schedule. I don't see them modifying this just because of the fans/no fans.

Good. Correct.

Occasionally, decision makers do the right thing

Look - maybe the Gophers will surprise me and find a way to win. That would be great.

I just don't expect it.

And the last thing I want is for the last game of the season to be a loss to Wisconsin. then you have to carry that stink with you all during the off-season.

to be clear - my first choice would be a win over Wisconsin.

but, given a choice between losing to Wisconsin, or playing a team from the East division, I would much rather play a game from the East. Based on the standings, likely would have been MSU. That is a winnable game if the Gophers have most of their roster available.

Sure we will get a real fair shake with Barry in charge of everything.

Look - maybe the Gophers will surprise me and find a way to win. That would be great.

I just don't expect it.

And the last thing I want is for the last game of the season to be a loss to Wisconsin. then you have to carry that stink with you all during the off-season.

but, given a choice between losing to Wisconsin, or playing a team from the East division, I would much rather play a game from the East. Based on the standings, likely would have been MSU. That is a winnable game if the Gophers have most of their roster available.

Wisconsin will likely crush the gophers but I’d still rather see that.

I just don't expect it.

There is still a chance, crazy as it sounds, that we get to go to a bowl game.

So would it really be any worse than last year? Get our asses whipped by Wisconsin, then win a bowl game.

I just don't expect it.

I mean, 2018 happened. Who says it can't happen again?

Rumors that Michigan is going to Iowa next weekend, so I'm guessing things will look like this assuming all teams can play:

Ohio St/Northwestern
Michigan/Iowa
Penn St/Illinois
Indiana/Purdue
Minnesota/Wisconsin
Michigan St/Maryland
Nebraska/Rutgers

I would not be so certain WI would thrash MN until we see how MN and WI fare Saturday.
I grant WI has a better defense than MN but WI's offense has been in a funk since the MI game.

I just don't expect it.

The streak SON. Keep the streak!

Good.

I'll toss out that I'm happy that Coyles got out in front of this one and voiced his support.

As long as the Gophers can field a reasonably complete roster for the possible Wisconsin game, I wouldn't write off their chances. There's not much evidence Wisconsin is very good.
lol there's a helluva lot less that we are :cool:

If we had a defense, I'd give us a chance against WI (and having Bateman yet would have helped).
I am highly doubtful that our defense is in process of turning things around with the COVID players missing.

I would like it if we got to play Wisconsin. Earlier in the year....it looked like the Badgers would possibly run over the Gophers. Now? Not so much. It would probably be a pretty good game.

So do we get home field since we have the better record?

If we had a defense, I'd give us a chance against WI (and having Bateman yet would have helped).
I am highly doubtful that our defense is in process of turning things around with the COVID players missing.

Gophers' defense gave up 308 yards — total — against Nebraska, at Lincoln.

To my eyes, they're playing much better than they were against Michigan and/or Maryland, early in the season. Still not great, but markedly better.

Also, I am not impressed with Wisconsin's offense. The Badger defense is solid, though.

Still feel that way now?

Top Bottom