Carson Hinzman 2022

Doesn’t seem unusual to me, he’s rated as the number 4 guard in the nation. I’m sure schools find kids via recruiting sites.
With some exceptions I'm sure, I think in high school usually the biggest and best OL (or just linemen, period) play tackle.

So I think the pool of players they're actually labeling as "OG" is much smaller.

Not saying he's not good, or worthy of a high ranking.

Interesting to note that Hinzman has been bumped up to a "Top Target" on GI.

You beat me to it. Obviously that isn't a guarantee of anything but clearly 247 feels like we have a shot as more often then not guys that commit come from the top target list. So the fact that they moved him to that list should definitely be seen as a good sign.

You beat me to it. Obviously that isn't a guarantee of anything but clearly 247 feels like we have a shot as more often then not guys that commit come from the top target list. So the fact that they moved him to that list should definitely be seen as a good sign.
Aren't the categories on that list merely a reflection of how much effort our coaching staff is putting into recruiting a player? Not a reflect of that player's interest in our program?

And then within each category, the players are simply sorted by their rating. So again, not sorted by the amount of recruiting effort, or by the recruit's interest.

Aren't the categories on that list merely a reflection of how much effort our coaching staff is putting into recruiting a player? Not a reflect of that player's interest in our program?

And then within each category, the players are simply sorted by their rating. So again, not sorted by the amount of recruiting effort, or by the recruit's interest.
How would 247 know how much effort our staff is devoting to each recruit? From what I have seen, typically the kids in the top target section are guys who have committed or who at least have some mutual interest with the school. Again, from what I have seen (very unscientific) commitments usually come from guys in this grouping. In general I would say guys in this group probably have us in their top 5-10

The next group, high choice, seems to be made up of guys that definitely have interest in us but aren't quite in the top target phase yet. With these guys we are probably top 15.

Interested would be guys that have us in their top 20 and scout look would be players where we are on the radar but the recruiting site really doesn't have a feel for where we stand in their recruiting.

This is just my best guess. Guys seem to move around between the various groups so don't totally know how 247 makes their determinations on which group to put a guy in. My guess is that there is something automated in the data they put in on the recruit that determines where to place them.

How would 247 know how much effort our staff is devoting to each recruit? From what I have seen, typically the kids in the top target section are guys who have committed or who at least have some mutual interest with the school. Again, from what I have seen (very unscientific) commitments usually come from guys in this grouping. In general I would say guys in this group probably have us in their top 5-10

The next group, high choice, seems to be made up of guys that definitely have interest in us but aren't quite in the top target phase yet. With these guys we are probably top 15.

Interested would be guys that have us in their top 20 and scout look would be players where we are on the radar but the recruiting site really doesn't have a feel for where we stand in their recruiting.

This is just my best guess. Guys seem to move around between the various groups so don't totally know how 247 makes their determinations on which group to put a guy in. My guess is that there is something automated in the data they put in on the recruit that determines where to place them.
Fair argument.

I am going by the wording. "Target" in particular, seems to imply a player that the staff has zeroed in on to pursue. But I suppose it could be the other way around.

I don't know how they gauge that, and maybe it's BS to some degree.

Offers from Alabama and LSU (maybe more, just saw those two in the five shown on the main screen).

Wonder why/how they know of him? Nothing wrong with it, just seems unusual.

I think what's his name from Woodbury (East Ridge) physically went down there to Alabama's camp, I believe uninvited, and showed up big, so they signed him.
J.C. Hassenhauer. Last year started some games for the Steelers. He blew up at other camps so was well known when he went to Alabama and then did well there.

J.C. Hassenhauer. Last year started some games for the Steelers. He blew up at other camps so was well known when he went to Alabama and then did well there.

It's weird, a lot of the people we rip for leaving had careers in the NFL.

I used to own some lake property north of Rice Lake and I always found Northern Wisconsin to be just a little slice of paradise. One of the things I found so interesting (and I know I am exaggerating) is that wherever two county roads met, there seemed to be a little bar. Some of those bars looked pretty much lie a pre-fab house that was blown out in the back. Lots of great little supper clubs. Same kind of feel in parts of Minnesota.

I used to own some lake property north of Rice Lake and I always found Northern Wisconsin to be just a little slice of paradise. One of the things I found so interesting (and I know I am exaggerating) is that wherever two county roads met, there seemed to be a little bar. Some of those bars looked pretty much lie a pre-fab house that was blown out in the back. Lots of great little supper clubs. Same kind of feel in parts of Minnesota.
Shhh.

If Carson H looks at the situations at Wisconsin and Minnesota from an opportunity standpoint, he picks Minnesota easily. Wisconsin has reeled in an incredible number of high 3, 4 and two 5 star OL recruits in the past three years. It will be very clogged there for several years; hard to see how the youngest OL guys even sniff any playing time. Minnesota has a great OL currently, but loses at least 2 (Sam and Connor) and perhaps up to 4 (Big Dan and Curtis) starters after the 2021 season. And loses two more (Blaise and JMS) for sure after 2022. Majority, perhaps all, going to NFL (drafted or free agents). Huge open path at Minnesota for a young excellent OL man to move into playing time. School preferences are one thing, but if opportunity is the key determinant, at this juncture Minnesota over Wisky is a no brainer.

If Carson H looks at the situations at Wisconsin and Minnesota from an opportunity standpoint, he picks Minnesota easily. Wisconsin has reeled in an incredible number of high 3, 4 and two 5 star OL recruits in the past three years. It will be very clogged there for several years; hard to see how the youngest OL guys even sniff any playing time. Minnesota has a great OL currently, but loses at least 2 (Sam and Connor) and perhaps up to 4 (Big Dan and Curtis) starters after the 2021 season. And loses two more (Blaise and JMS) for sure after 2022. Majority, perhaps all, going to NFL (drafted or free agents). Huge open path at Minnesota for a young excellent OL man to move into playing time. School preferences are one thing, but if opportunity is the key determinant, at this juncture Minnesota over Wisky is a no brainer.
I like the way you think, but kids that dream of playing in the NFL will look at it differently, imo. In the end... I'm afraid it comes down to Wisky and Iowa.

I like the way you think, but kids that dream of playing in the NFL will look at it differently, imo. In the end... I'm afraid it comes down to Wisky and Iowa.

There is no doubt that Iowa and Wisconsin have done a much better job of finding/developing NFL talent in the past, especially along the offensive line. It is kind of amazing that we don't have a single former Gopher Offensive lineman active in the NFL right now.

But I don't think that our lack of track record in developing NFL talent in the Kill years takes us out of the running with recruits that want to get to the NFL now. I would anticipate our list of active NFL players growing fairly rapidly in the years ahead, although this upcoming draft is going to be a light one for us given the number of players that elected to come back as opposed to going pro.

Trint (sp?) Tripp from Mondovi was a big-time Holtz recruit. IIRC Tim Krumrie—also from Mondovi—had a fallout with the Badger football program at the time which facilitated Tripp’s recruitment. There was hope Tripp would be a dominant interior defensive lineman in the Krumrie mode. He ended up as an o-line starter—again, IIRC.

Hope he ends up here. But if there's anything we've learned in the last few years... nothing mean anything until they are signed.

One of the things I found so interesting (and I know I am exaggerating) is that wherever two county roads met, there seemed to be a little bar.
That's really not all that much exaggeration... There does seem to be a lot of little bars and taverns everywhere in Wisconsin. A lot of them do look like they moved all the crap out of the living room of the house and set up a bar, too. I think a lot of it has to do with the ease of getting a liquor license over there, as well as how inexpensive it is to operate a bar...

With some exceptions I'm sure, I think in high school usually the biggest and best OL (or just linemen, period) play tackle.

So I think the pool of players they're actually labeling as "OG" is much smaller.

Not saying he's not good, or worthy of a high ranking.
Obviously you have never coached football. Your value to the team is directly proportional to your distance from the football. As such, the MOST valuable lineman is the center. Also gives you an idea as the importance of a splitend.

Obviously you have never coached football. Your value to the team is directly proportional to your distance from the football. As such, the MOST valuable lineman is the center. Also gives you an idea as the importance of a splitend.
Highest paid lineman in the NFL are tackles though.

Very true in youth football and to a lesser degree in high school. In college and pro its all about the skill set needed for the position and scheme.

Pro salaries for interior lineman are beginning to catch those of the tackles. It's all about keeping the qb healthy.

Very true in youth football and to a lesser degree in high school. In college and pro its all about the skill set needed for the position and scheme.

Pro salaries for interior lineman are beginning to catch those of the tackles. It's all about keeping the qb healthy.

I think people get confused because the Left Tackle position is so highly valued in the NFL and is often one of the highest paid players on the team outside of the QB.

At the youth levels, in high school and even at some colleges, where you put your best lineman is going to depend a lot on the kind of offense you run.

Trint (sp?) Tripp from Mondovi was a big-time Holtz recruit. IIRC Tim Krumrie—also from Mondovi—had a fallout with the Badger football program at the time which facilitated Tripp’s recruitment. There was hope Tripp would be a dominant interior defensive lineman in the Krumrie mode. He ended up as an o-line starter—again, IIRC.
Wow. I lived in Mondovi until I was 7, and my dad coached on the Mondovi football staff in the 70's and 80's during this era. Little Mondovi (population 2500) had 3 Big 10 players, Tripp, Krumrie, and Jess Cole (went to UW to play QB before transferring to UWEC.). Good memory, Married!

Regarding Hinzman... I'm not getting my hopes up until he's signed. Too many times we've been hopeful on these high level OLinemen only to have them go to Iowa and Wisconsin.

At least the Gophs are finally in the mix for a good lineman.

Last edited:

If I were Carson Hinzman, I'd seriously consider being a Gopher. Here's why:

1. Hammond is almost Gopher Country distance-wise. It's a matter of what his heart's desire is.
2. For reasons stated here - Wiscy OL is crowded with highly rated players. They also have 20+ OLs on their roster.
3. The opportunity to start and play sooner is better with the Gophers. We can expect Andries, Dunlap, and Fa'alele to be most likely in the NFL.
4. There's a golden opportunity to shine. Family can make it to every home game.
5. Be part of a new trend with the Gophers putting linemen in the NFL.
6. Gotta love Maroon and Gold colors! It will look good on him.
7. Goldy is much cuter than Bucky Badger.
8. Most importantly, he will be in the NFL and can retire in the Twin Cities metro area.

It is time to reverse the OL bleed from MN to WI.

Regarding Hinzman... I'm not getting my hopes up until he's signed. Too many times we've been hopeful on these high level OLinemen only to have them go to Iowa and Wisconsin.

At least the Gophs are finally in the mix for a High Rated lineman.
FIFY

OL is a position where a high school kid doesn't need to be super highly ranked to be successful at the college level. That said, it certainly is nice to be in the mix for a highly rated kid with offers from most of the country.

Wow. I lived in Mondovi until I was 7, and my dad coached on the Mondovi football staff in the 70's and 80's during this era. Little Mondovi (population 2500) had 3 Big 10 players, Tripp, Krumrie, and Jess Cole (went to UW to play QB before transferring to UWEC.). Good memory, Married!
I’m a cusp: UW undergraduate; UM graduate school. My freshman year (1981) the Badgers opener was against Michigan. Jess Cole was the starter. The Badgers upset Michigan 21-14–very exciting day at Camp Randall. I’m a Minnesota fan, though, but a champion of the undergraduate Madison experience...

This should be bad news to the Minnesota class of 2021:
Mahlman - wisconsin commit
Alt - ND commit
Swinney - Cal commit
Purcell - MN commit
Floysand - Air Force commit
Brannon - Army commit
None of them were as valuable as the centers on their teams - No MN centers ranked by 247

MN Class of 2020 - 3 lineman commits, 1 center, the 19th ranked player in the state went to Northern Illinois
MN Class of 2019 - 4 lineman commits, no centers ranked by 247

And on and on and on

Top Bottom